U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,049,019 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about this because around noon I got a call that my daughter was having some problems (AGAIN) with her ear. When I got there she felt as if she had a fever and she had pain in her ear. Well she has had to ear problems, infection and a punctured ear drum just this year.

It NEVER occured to me to leave her in school.

Diane tells me that she was affraid I would not come and get her and I asked her why. She told me that this girl in her class was throwing up, went to the nurses office and Nurse Stephanie called her parents. They said they couldn't come after her, both parents. They're only advice was to call her grandparents and see what they could do.

As a parent I was horrified by this disinterest in your childs well being AND as a parent of a child in the same classroom, I think the school should force the parents to remove a child who is this sick from the classroom for fear of passing on something to the other children.

I don't care if the parents are at work, they need to take their sick children home. Not only for your child but for the sake of the rest of the children in the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 01:16 PM

13,120 posts, read 17,664,361 times
I agree with you 100% and I think if the parents dont show up to get their sick child they should have cps called on them and they should be charged with neglect and thrown in jail . what kind of parents dont retrieve a sick child ? I dont understand that either .

Old 05-18-2009, 01:26 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,791,882 times
I don't think any child with a fever can stay in school anyway. When the nurse calls me, I come pick my kids up. If the child has a fever and parents are not available to pick the child up, I am quite sure that child stays in the nurses office until the child can be taken home. I know our schools do not admit a child until they are fever free for 24 hours.
As for the case you mentioned, maybe the parents just weren't able to pick the child up, not for selfish reasons.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:39 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,002,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I agree with you 100% and I think if the parents dont show up to get their sick child they should have cps called on them and they should be charged with neglect and thrown in jail . what kind of parents dont retrieve a sick child ? I dont understand that either .
Oh, for crying out loud. CPS? Jail? Those things aren't free, you know, and they are already overburdened and underfunded. Of course parents should come get their kids when they are sick, but let's not go crazy here. I'm sure the school is perfectly capable of taking care of itself.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM

25,907 posts, read 35,002,181 times
By the way, Lindsey, who is Diane? Your child or a school administrator?

Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 PM

2,838 posts, read 8,848,447 times
Is it possible that the mom said "I can't leave work right now, can you call her grandmother and see if she can get her?" While mom should have handled it, I can see having a grandparent or someone else available for this type of thing. When I worked, I worked 40 minutes from home, so if my kids were in school, they'd get picked up much sooner if I asked my MIL, who lives a town away, to pick them up instead of waiting for me.

But yes, of course parents are responsible for their children and should make arrangements for someone to pick them up quickly in the case that they are sick, hurt, or whatever.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
By the way, Lindsey, who is Diane? Your child or a school administrator?
Diane is my daughter.

She was NOT checked for a fever, the nurse never made an attempt to even put a hand to her forehead, nor did her teacher in spite of me warning her the beginning of the year not to ignore Diane's pleas when she said she didn't feel well. She is not the kind of kid who says something always when she doesn't feel well, she just sort of melts into whatever surface she is on and says nothing.

My daughters school let her sit at her desk, back and forth to special area and so forth, when she got home she had a fever of 104. I thought she was depressed or upset so I hugged her and before I even got my arms around her I could feel the heat coming off her. This is why I felt the need to warn the teacher. Turns out she had a bad case of strep. When I got laid off and Diane no longer had to go to daycare, she stopped getting strep. I have to say it was something about her daycare because she got it a couple times.

As for the girl that was throwing up, I personally think the school should have told the parents they had to find someone to come and get their kid, that it was unacceptable for the child to remain in school no matter what their personal situation was.

When I was working full time and Diane went to a daycare after school, I had a woman lined up who would take care of Diane for me if she was sick. I didn't have family to fall back on OR her Father, it was all on my head. Isn't that what responsible parents do? We make plans for other contingencies?? This girl (that was throwing up in school) has two parents and two grandparents in town and no one could be bothered to come and get her OR make plans in advance for a person to babysit her if she was sick.

Thats just wrong.

Thats why so many of the schools in this area closed down completely when only one case of the Swine Flu showed up. They probably realized that parents would send their kid to school even if they were sick, making it even MORE posible that the flu would be spread.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:16 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,441,185 times
I agree that parents should pick up a sick child - I think the situation might be as others have suggested where the parents were going to be a while to get there and perhaps the grandparents might be able to get there sooner.

My daughter (1st grade) was in the nurse's office about a month ago, complaining of just not feeling well, headachey, etc...They said she had no fever and nothing was outwardly wrong, just that she looked a little tired. Told me it was up to me if I wanted to come get her. I looked at the clock, it was 10:50 (they eat lunch at 11am). Knowing my daughter usually eats about 3 bites of breakfast, I suggested that she have something to eat and drink and see how she felt afterwards. I merely meant they get her lunch and let her sit and eat it there a little early, but they got her some crackers and juice or water, and then sent her off to eat lunch with the rest of the class. She bounced right back. I felt a little awkward saying I wasn't going to go get her, but to call me if she still felt bad after lunch. Turns out my judgment call was a good one.

Now, if she were vomiting, of course I would have come get her.

Of course the original example deals with kids who are obviously unwell, but I am sure school health aides/nurses, teachers, and parents have to play the judgment call game rather often with some of the more "frequent fliers".

I am editing to add since I was typing my response while you were typing yours, that it sounds like your school is not as responsive with sick kids as it could be. Our health aide has a temporal artery thermometer so she can determine fever or no fever before making a phone call. My daughter also has a wonderful teacher who is an EMT and watches over her kids, having them go rest or get water if she sees them looking a little peaked, and send them to the office when they are sick.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:22 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,729,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
As for the girl that was throwing up, I personally think the school should have told the parents they had to find someone to come and get their kid, that it was unacceptable for the child to remain in school no matter what their personal situation was.
I agree that parents should make plans for someone to get their kids.

On a day that I am not at work I can get to the school in 10 minutes. However, if the hubby and I are both working (I work PT) it will take someone half an hour to get to the school. I always feel bad if this happens but there really is no way around it.

The clinic at school will let me talk to my kids and tell them I am at work, I am leaving now and I will be there in half an hour, however, I cannot simply beam myself there so unfortunately that's how long it takes to get there.

My son complains that there is a boy whose parents send him to school sick all the time.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:27 PM

My daughters school is definetly NOT responsive to sick kids. This has been an ongoing problem.
I am astonished when I hear some of these stories.

If you have to drive 30 minutes then you have to drive 30 minutes, at least you get there.

I am probably going to have to take Diane back to the doctor tomorrow because she had a fever when I brought her home and she feel straight to sleep when we got home. Thats just not her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or