U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM

4,677 posts, read 1,835,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I said NOT seperate. NO negotiations. Expect him to eat only what the family eats at dinnertime.
I understood that, I was talking about when you said a seperate one at lunchtime unless I misunderstood that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:48 PM

15,527 posts, read 29,233,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
What are the better meat products in your opinion?
And the fruits he eats is apples, bananas, melons, and fruit cup peaches. But veggies, he doesnt eat hardly any, every once in a while some carrots but I put veggies on his plate and he doesn't eat them. They are canned veggies usually or corn on the cob. But like I said it turns into a fight with him. I try and bribe him and he doesn't want to still or if I try and punsih him(like you cant go outside til you eat your peas) then he has a huge fit.
Grass fed, no antibiotics and no hormones. That is the type of beef, chicken, pork and lamb that we eat. The difference in taste is phenomenal. I don't thin that anyone would argue that this food is better for you than the stuff you buy at the grocery store. It's more expensive though, but eating well is worth any added expense.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientist Mom View Post
wow - you sure are getting a lot of strongly opinionated replies.

Your son's diet sound a lot like my DD's lunch rotation (hot dog, lunchable, chicken nuggets, cheese pizza, grilled cheese, pasta bucket meal). I try to focus on heathy side dishes both at lunch and dinner (fruit, applesauce, yogurt, spinach and cheese tortellini, some veggies-she only reliably eats broccoli and peas) and healthy snacks (cheese and whole wheat crackers are a staple) and don't stress too much if my kids eat very little meat at some meals. If he eats eggs he is getting good protein (my kids don't like eggs). Does he like spaghetti and meatballs/ meat sauce?

Helping to cook definitely helps with my 5-year old. Also, we let her put ketchup or ranch dressing on almost anything she wants to put it on.

One thing that sometimes works with our kids is letting them eat with toothpicks. They won't touch sausage as a link but when we cut it into circles and let them eat with toothpicks, it gets gobbled up.

Getting to have dessert is definitely used to motivate her at dinner, when it is clear that she doesn't dislike the food but is just not very interested in eating it.

Good luck.
Their foods are almost identical, those are his fav foods except the brocoli and peas part! The omletes is a good idea. He does like the spaghetti noodles without sauce on them and then adds ketchup. Almost the same thing to me! Ranch did use to be the big thing but now only uses that on pizza. And i love the toothpick idea, kids like little things like that so I will try it tonight!

Old 05-19-2009, 01:55 PM

[quote=rockinmomma;8884445]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post

If you think these items are so bad, why do you have them in your home?
They are easy and that is what he will eat. And they aren't healthy but even when I getting him eating better foods, I probaly won't get rid of these completly. I work full time and so does my bf so they are a lifesaver but they aren't the best foods there is.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Don't fight about it with him. Give him what the family is having or let him make a peanut butter sandwich and leave it at that. Tell him kindly that he only can have chicken nuggets and bologna once a week (or whatever you can tolerate) but tonight you've cooked...whatever...for dinner. If he doesn't want that, he (not you) can make himself a peanut butter sandwich. No junk food eating later in the night, either. When dinner is over, pick up the plates and be done with it. Let him pitch a fit if he wants to, but ask him to do it in his room because the rest of you are trying to enjoy dinner. Remember that you're the grownup and he's the kid. He's not going to starve if he skips dinner a few nights and I bet it won't take him long to come around.
Thats good advice too! Thank you!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,002,803 times
Quote:
If I don't think the kids will eat the main dish, I try and make sure the side dishes are things they will like and just let them eat those.
I do this too. I try to make one veggie side that I know they will eat and usually give them cut up fruit too. That way, if they don't like the main dish, they have their fruit and veggis to eat and I just leave it at that.

I have friends that are reduced to being short order cooks for dinner. This just seems like a bad habit to get into. If your kids know that you will fix something else for them than they will probably start taking advantage of the situation.

I know you mentioned you were going to try to the toothpick thing with your child tonight. If that works, you could try doing roll-ups with whatever deli meat he likes and cheese. Stick toothpicks through it.

Quote:
They are canned veggies usually or corn on the cob. But like I said it turns into a fight with him.
Maybe you could try cooked fresh veggis instead of canned. I don't like the way canned veggies taste...the expection being corn and peas. The others seem too mushy and have a strange taste...IMO.

Last edited by Maybe So; 05-19-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,521,622 times
[quote=grmngrl8203;8884837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post

They are easy and that is what he will eat. And they aren't healthy but even when I getting him eating better foods, I probaly won't get rid of these completly. I work full time and so does my bf so they are a lifesaver but they aren't the best foods there is.
My DH and I work full time too. We cook every night. We do chicken nuggets or hot dogs or something like that about once a week. The other nights the kids eat what is infront of them or not. Their choice. I was so stressed I took son to the dr's when he threw up eating veggies. My son's ped said, give him a multivitiman and offer food. If he eats, he eats, if not don't sweat it. When he gets hungry he will eat what is infront of him. And this is true.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:40 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,538,289 times
This worked on my stepdaughter. She grew up to be healthy and strong (mostly headstrong).

In a blender, put a whole onion, a whole green pepper, a few cloves of garlic, and a small can of plain tomato sauce. Put in a little cut up meat (polish sausage or bacon or something) and some olive oil to give it body, and even a dash of red cooking wine to give it aroma. Puree, cook it on the stove in a covered saucepan long enough to kill the raw taste of the onions. Put a liberal amount of it on his spaghetti. Keep it in an empty Prego jar. He'll never know he is getting dreaded nutrition.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:57 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,493,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
When kids start dictating what they want, especially at dinner, all it does is end up in a control issue. Maybe allow him to choose what he has for lunch, then do no negotiating at dinnertime. Expect him to eat what is prepared for the family and leave it at that. If he chooses to not eat, I wouldn't suggest falling into the habit of fixing anything special just for the sake of him eating. He won't starve. If he doesn't eat what is prepared, he's out of luck. Maybe a small snack before bed, but not a seperately made meal.

Life becomes quite frustrating when a small child is in control of family meals.
I was wondering if someone was going to state the obvious. Kids will do what they want to do (including eating) if their parents let them. My daughter is 6 and constantly surprises me with what she eats but I have never, ever made her something other than what we are eating.

We had friends who came to visit us from The Netherlands when we lived in Florida. We took them to Disneyworld and their kids would not eat anything they didn't recognize. We even went to Epcot's German pavilion to get them bratwurst but they didn't recognize the bun so they didn't eat it. Every single stop was McDonalds. They were with us for 3 weeks and I swear all they ate was McDonalds and Mountain Dew. They would pout and refuse to eat anything else, including the things that all kids love (pizza, burgers, tacos, etc). They are 10 and 13, so just think about that when you are making different stuff for your kids to eat. You are working your way towards misery if you let your kid dictate what they eat.

Kids will eat when they are hungry and unless you are cooking food for advanced palattes, they need to at least have one bite before they turn away from it and if they aren't hungry, they don't need to eat.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Both my kids used to (for whatever reason, I didn't care) loooove to eat frozen peas and corn. Still frozen! I don't know what the draw was but even as toddlers, I would put a handful on the tray of the high chair and let them have at it. They both did acquire a taste for veggies (DD more so than DS).... It sounds like you are making a lot more work for yourself by catering to his tastes and trying to bribe him. I agree with the posters who say if a child is hungry he will eat. They should eat at least a bite or two of everything being served. All that processed food will catch up with him at some point. His growing body needs actual food with actual nutritional value. Nothing wrong with the occasional bologna sandwich or hot dog or chicken nuggets but the key word is occasionally. If time is a real problem, try spending some some time on weekends or one evening a work doing some of the prep work or pre-preparing healthier foods so they are ready to go in a shorter time during crunch times. Good luck. It will be worth it in the long run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting