U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,170,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
My mother raised me eating what she served and that was it. The thought of complaining didn't even cross my mind, because that's rude and unthoughtful. He'll eat school lunch, so why won't he eat at home? It's a control issue- DO NOT GIVE IN! My younger brother complained about everything, always got a special meal, and to this day weighs more and eats a less varied and more processed diet than I do.
My mother raised us pretty much on spaghetti-Os and french fries. She's never met a vegetable she's fond of. And yeah, she's survived like that to the age of eighty-five, but she's got a ridiculous number of health problems that are likely dietarily-related.

I learned to eat better when I went to boarding school, and improved on that later when I had children of my own. We still have the occasional junk food, but it's with complete understanding that this is an aberration, not a lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,269,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
My son in 5 and I think he is half vegan. My son eats a very limited amount of things. They include mac and cheese, cheese pizza, hot dogs, bologna, chicken nuggets, and eggs. And of course he wants junk food. Everything goes with ketchup (pancakes, fruit, etc.). But we are trying to get him to eat better food, better fruits & veggies, meats, etc. We are a big meat family and he wont even try pork, hamburger, steak, breakfast meats, or real chicken. So any creative ideas on how to get him to try new things or different food other than pizza and nuggets? He hasn't eaten meat since he was 2 or 3 and everyone said it was a stage but how long do these stages last?
maybe like alot of little kids he has a hard time chewing meat. Try ground beef instead. Those baby teeth aren't the toughest things.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:11 AM

324 posts, read 765,644 times
I will be harsh but truthful here. A 5 yr old child's diet should not consist of nuggets, pizza etc. My guess is that he doesn't have an income & so he eats what you buy PERIOD. That being said, buy HEALTHY food for your child & do away with this nugget madness. Or else you are raising an obese child.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
I will be harsh but truthful here. A 5 yr old child's diet should not consist of nuggets, pizza etc. My guess is that he doesn't have an income & so he eats what you buy PERIOD. That being said, buy HEALTHY food for your child & do away with this nugget madness. Or else you are raising an obese child.
Thats not totally true. Got 2 living proofs of it.

Plus how many of us as kids used to eat at McDonalds and are not fat today?

Old 05-24-2009, 07:55 AM

324 posts, read 765,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Thats not totally true. Got 2 living proofs of it.

Plus how many of us as kids used to eat at McDonalds and are not fat today?
Well you might not be fat but majority of McDonalds eaters are. And the health risks. ..

Old 05-24-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebanker View Post
Well you might not be fat but majority of McDonalds eaters are. And the health risks. ..
true, but kids have great metabolism that can handle it better. When we hit about 30 it really changes. Thats why teenagers can shovel food in all day long and not get fat. How many teenage and college-aged kids who eat tons of pizza are fat blobs? not many.

I couldn't eat fast food after my 20s, it didn't agree with me plus like ya said its very unhealthy (not as much if you exercise).

Old 05-24-2009, 09:36 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,987,000 times
Default Picky eaters are made, not born

During my travels to parts of Central America and Africa I've observed that children will gratefully eat whatever is given to them. In the U.S., where choices abound even for those on food stamps, kids think they have the right to dictate what they will and will not eat.

If parents cave in, they'll end up cooking separate meals for their kids until they leave home. In most cases, those meals consist of the unhealthy food the OP mentioned--- chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, etc.

If parents don't cave in, eventually kids will learn to eat what is set before them. I've never heard of children ---- with the exception of children with eating disorders which is a whole different story--- starving themselves to death because they didn't like the menu their parents offered them.

That being said, I think it's fine to let kids help with menu planning. Why not sit down with them before you go to the supermarket and ask for some meal suggestions. If they like pasta there are hundreds of healthy recipes that include plenty of veggies and lean protein. If they like chicken nuggests there are homemade versions where lean chicken is dipped in egg white and then in a mix of ground nuts, wheat germ and whole-wheat flour and grated cheese.

One book I'd recommend is "Clean Eating for Kids" by
Tosca Reno. It features receipes that are kid-friendly while having a high-nutrition content. You'll find everything from mac and cheese to healthy birthday treat recipes.

As far as the posters who said parents shouldn't worry too much about the junk food kids consume because they're young and can burn it off I disagree. From the CDC Web site:

The prevalence of obesity among children aged 6 to 11 more than doubled in the past 20 years, going from 6.5% in 1980 to 17.0% in 2006. The rate among adolescents aged 12 to 19 more than tripled, increasing from 5% to 17.6%.

Also, good nutrition isn't just about staying thin. It's about fueling your body. You wouldn't put water in your gas tank and expect your car to run so why would you give your child food with little or no nutritional value and expect him/her to perform well in school and have lots of energy?

One more thing, if kids get used to eating healthy food, fast food will become less appealing to them. My kids always want me to make their lunches because the processed food in the cafeteria tastes awful to them. And on their birthdays, when I allowe them to have anything they want for dinner, they will choose homemade pasta dishes or salmon.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:01 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
My son in 5 and I think he is half vegan. My son eats a very limited amount of things. They include mac and cheese, cheese pizza, hot dogs, bologna, chicken nuggets, and eggs. And of course he wants junk food. Everything goes with ketchup (pancakes, fruit, etc.). But we are trying to get him to eat better food, better fruits & veggies, meats, etc. We are a big meat family and he wont even try pork, hamburger, steak, breakfast meats, or real chicken. So any creative ideas on how to get him to try new things or different food other than pizza and nuggets? He hasn't eaten meat since he was 2 or 3 and everyone said it was a stage but how long do these stages last?
Well I haven't read all the posts here but I wouldn't say your son is half vegan; I'd say he eats a lot of junk food. Too much junk food. I won't offer you a lot of advice because I'm sure whatever I was going to say has been said by other posters but my question is when you want him to try foods are you eating them with him or are you trying to get him to eat foods while you're eating chicken nuggets and pizza? Either way it goes my final answer for a creative idea would be "you're 5. Eat this or don't eat."

I did this with my son once. He refused to eat some eggs and sausages for breakfast because he wanted some applesauce. It was a battle of wills and I had to prove mine was stronger than his. I brought that same plate out for lunch and again for dinner. He finally gave in around 7:30 that night. I consulted with his PCP and she said a missed meal or two wouldn't hurt him and that he'll eat when he gets hungry.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM

1,730 posts, read 4,012,256 times
[quote=Jackyfrost01;8956627. How many teenage and college-aged kids who eat tons of pizza are fat blobs? not many.

[/quote]

Maybe not where you live but here in Tampa drive by any school of any age and the number of fat kids is beyond obscene from the youngest to the oldest. I went with a friend of mine to drop her daughter off at the University of Florida and we were blown away by all the fat students.

And I think kids today eat McDonalds way more than they did when I was growing up. We went maybe once a month and it was pretty much the same with most of my friends. It was a treat not a regular place to dine.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM

530 posts, read 569,003 times
If your really worried about his health, fix one meal and don't negoitate. Also, i would suggest that you give him a multi vit ( they make them like gummy bears now) and gnc even makes a veggie and whole food one with antioxidents. That way he's getting all the needed vits and mins. Kids will eat what parents buy, don't buy it and he will learn to eat what you cook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting