Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,685 times

Advertisements

Response to the OP: No way. I'd want Grandma or Grandpa to be with him all the time. Even if he's 14, he'd be bored to death! That's asking a lot. To see your son, your family goes to them or they come to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 05:59 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Just do the weekend. Have Grandpa meet you halfway on a Friday afternoon and return him on Sunday afternoon.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:32 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
My dad works in law enforcement and is always getting called out to work (there is no such thing as off duty with him) and my mom burned up all her vacation time because my grandmother tried to kill herself recently and my mom is the POA and had to deal with everything. So this is the only way she thinks she can see him until she builds up more time. But what if Grandma pulls another stunt and my dad gets called out....what happens? Its not like we can just quick drive over there in case of an emergency. My parents do not do well in those situations. They lost my son once at the mall and instead of going to look for him they stood there and argued over whose fault it was.
Would not be leaving my child with them again.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:39 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
No. But I'm biased, too. My MIL badgered me for so long to leave my son with her for prolonged periods of time since the day he was born (okay, since the second week), so I naturally veer toward the cautious side when it comes to letting grandma take the child.
LOL! This sounds like my former SIL! And she had the nerve to catch an attitude when I wouldn't let her take my son, who was about 3 months at the time. She tried to call me a paranoid new mother and said it was because I didn't like her.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
My dad works in law enforcement and is always getting called out to work (there is no such thing as off duty with him) and my mom burned up all her vacation time because my grandmother tried to kill herself recently and my mom is the POA and had to deal with everything. So this is the only way she thinks she can see him until she builds up more time. But what if Grandma pulls another stunt and my dad gets called out....what happens? Its not like we can just quick drive over there in case of an emergency. My parents do not do well in those situations. They lost my son once at the mall and instead of going to look for him they stood there and argued over whose fault it was.
Heck to the naw. Don't send him. Not without you.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 PM

167 posts, read 451,676 times
I think they need to visit you.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:49 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
LOL! This sounds like my former SIL! And she had the nerve to catch an attitude when I wouldn't let her take my son, who was about 3 months at the time. She tried to call me a paranoid new mother and said it was because I didn't like her.
Isn't it frustrating?! Ugh! The first time we did leave him for an extended period (two nights), she made fun of us because we tried saying "bye" to him. Breathe, breathe, breathe...I have worked really hard to forget all this!

Back to the OP: No way would I leave him with them! It sucks that your mom doesn't get to see your son much, but that is life and she has to deal with it. You could offer to trade traveling once a month, so that one month they come visit you for a weekend and the next month you go visit them for a weekend.

My MIL mopes because we live so far away and because of yet another move, we won't be able to come visit this summer. Yet when we lived less than 4 hours away, she only visited once the entire year. I also feel like there is this grandparent culture out there that makes some grandparents think that they have certain rights to our children. Wrong! In a perfect world, everyone gets along and sees each other the perfect amount. But outside of that, the child's safety and the relationship of the parents-child family unit comes first and foremost.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 AM

3,106 posts, read 9,124,155 times
You seem to be painting a picture that gives an obvious answer to your question: NO.

While I think it's important for children to spend time with their grandparents, it's also important to be sure that the grandparents are capable of taking care of your child for that period of time and based on what you wrote, there are just too many "what if's" and situations that could arise and leave your son unattended.

Is this a "vacation-time-with-grandparents" request? Can you accompany your son down there? There's no law that says he has to be unaccompanied while visiting them - if you can swing taking some time off to visit, maybe that would suit everyone's desire for grandparents/grandson time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting