U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 08:18 AM

14,874 posts, read 36,280,357 times

Advertisements

Our district put into place many years ago the "no home baked/cooked products". One daughters school heavily enforced this while the other one did not and ONLY started doing it last year after a parent that knew of the policy questioned the schools lack of enforcement. I totally understand this one as if some of the children get sick from the consumption of the home baked goodies there is no one the school can go back on. The school district can get sued as can the home baker. When items are store bought the school has recourse as the store has to be inspected by the health dept and they carry insurance for such. It really wasn't a big deal for me with this at all. Though store bought cupcakes are not cheap.

When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten (morning 1/2 day at the time) the teacher had come up w/ a good plan instead of cupcakes. Donut holes (no Krispy Kreme as they were not even in the area back then ). Each kid would get a bag w/ a dozen donut holes in it. It was actually pretty easy and the kids liked it and I swear they eat those more than they do cupcakes. Always said you might as well just give them a scoop of icing as they eat that more than the cake itself.

Some area school districts around here a parent can not give ANY food to another child other than their own. Therefore, the entire birthday cupcake or even a healthy treat is banned. The cafeteria police (according to my sis who teaches in a district that has this rule) will even get onto a parent if they bring their child lunch and the kid gives a classmate a SINGLE french fry or something. This year my youngest childs school banned the whole birthday cupcake thing as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 08:22 AM

21,147 posts, read 22,139,461 times
Oh, I get it, I was just waxing nostalgic. Times are just different that's all. Things were a lot simpler.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:54 AM

5,748 posts, read 10,511,564 times
I'm feeling very fortunate right now, as our school district still allows parents to bring in home-baked treats, as long as they do not contain peanut butter. For non-bakers, Krispy Kreme rules, but there is a small muffin shop close by whose mini-muffins are closing in fast.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:17 AM

1,986 posts, read 3,469,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
In our elementary school,either you invite the entire class or you invite no one... unless you have everyone's addresses and can send private invites.
The notice comes home at the beginning of the year...
Who is the school to dictate who you invite to your private home? I would have a problem with that.

Personally, I don't think kids need birthday parties every year that include other than the family.

On the occasion of a party though, kids should be able to pick a few friends and not include everybody. It is not the business of the school to decide who a child invites to their party.

Most certainly the 9 year old knows where his friends live. Instead of taking the invitations to school to hand out, he can simply drop them off at the different homes.

Last edited by stormy night; 05-21-2009 at 11:41 AM..

Old 05-21-2009, 11:29 AM

2,005 posts, read 5,126,641 times
As a teacher I hate cupcakes or any other sugary treat. Yes, by the end of the year you are eating 30 cupcakes! And we wonder why our kids are obese. When I taught, I had parents bring in their child's favorite picture book to be read to the class by either the parent or myself. And they can wear the birthday hat all day. That's it, no treats. The cafeteria is filled with junk, we eat junk at home, I just never wanted it in the classroom. As far as the birthday party goes, I would never have 30 kids at a poolparty, no way. You absolutely don't have to invite everyone. Send invites online, so you don't have to deal with the mess of trying to find parents after school No school has a policy of inviting everyone. That's nonsense and whoever wrote that misunderstood the policy.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,747,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flourpower View Post
Here's the deal: My son is turning 9 in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of having a simple pool party for him (that's what he really wants). If we invited his whole class (like pretty much everybody else has), it would be over 30 kids!!! I simply can't supervise or entertain 30+ kids in a medium sized pool for 2 hours! Quite frankly, I don't even think that it is very safe. I'm thinking of having the party after school is out for the summer. Do you think there will be a lot of hurt feelings/misunderstandings/anger??? Or should I bite the bullet and invite everyone (which includes kids my son is not particulary "best buds" with)?
What would you do???

I'd do the small party with just the close friends. If you do it after school ends, no other kids will know about it anyways. Or even if you do it before school is out, just have ds tell the invited kids to be private about it, because he doesn't have room for everyone.

I've never done a whole-class party, because I've never had the room to.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:05 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,511,564 times
My poor, poor kids! We invite only grandparents to our birthday celebrations.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:06 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,902,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
We have twins - I cannot imagine inviting 60 children (if they had 30 kids in their class) to my children's birthday party. NO WAY. I would definitely go the route of making sure to send private invites to the children's home.

I think I would also encourage my children to invite the kids they actually interact with. I remember in grade school that a lot of kids were invited to parties just because they were "popular". I realize you avoid all that by inviting the whole class but I think for many families, that is impractical on many levels including financially.

Someone posted about inviting the number of children by the age of the child - that's a nice/different idea.

OP: what does your son want to do?
WOW! those are large classes,but I completely understand your point..
my best friend has twins and their elementary school also has the same "invite all or no one" policy basically.... their parties are always very large,but most of the time,outdoors.. moon bounce,cake & ice cream...
Not sure what we will do in the future,it was alot having 20 kids in the house plus other friends & family who could come.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:11 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,902,322 times
I meant to also include.. we cannot send in any treats for bdays...homeade or otherwise. The children pick a favorite book to read and the class sings Happy Bday.... no other celebration is done.
I believe this is due mainly to allergies and to be sure to not single anyone out.. some families can "afford" to send in treats for the class,others can't?
I am happy that they are not celebrating every bday all the time,as it would become a little much with all those treats!

In response to "who is the school to dictate who we invite",although I really do agree for the most part,it is again I think,to avoid anyone being singled out. We wil be sure to try to get a directory next year so we have private addresses.. but really,the kids all talk and eventually,someone is going to feel "left out"...
not sure what the answer is. We don't live near family so it will always be a friend party for the most part,or nothing.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:56 PM

486 posts, read 1,240,189 times
I have never, through 3 kids, invited a whole class to a birthday party. Just because they go to school together doesn't mean that they are even friends. Plus, I do not want to have 30+ kids anywhere not to mention the cost. As long as you send the invitation directly to the home address we have never had a problem, with inviting the friends he has had since he was little; some which go to his school but most that don't. He understands and likes it that way and we have less thank you notes to write!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting