U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:03 PM

3,107 posts, read 8,029,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
WOW! those are large classes,but I completely understand your point..
my best friend has twins and their elementary school also has the same "invite all or no one" policy basically.... their parties are always very large,but most of the time,outdoors.. moon bounce,cake & ice cream...
Not sure what we will do in the future,it was alot having 20 kids in the house plus other friends & family who could come.
Actually, I was just using the number (30+) provided by the OP. Regardless, those are very large classes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 04:23 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
I'm going to chime in here too with the fact that when my son was young, it never occurred to me to invite a bunch of kids to a birthday just because they were in his class. A birthday is a special day - why invite kids he's only marginally friends with?

The couple of times we did do something it involved relatives and maybe a couple close friends. Other than that, it's never been a big deal. We go do something special with him - his choosing. For a few years it was camping.

Not to mention, who then wants to have to send your kid to all the reciprocating parties and have to buy presents for kids you don't even know!

Old 05-22-2009, 06:25 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
I would too, but if I'm involving another "entity" to hand out invites, then I guess they would have say so on how they would want to do it.
The other person was emphatic about her school requiring that all students in the class be invited to the party regardless of where the invitations are distributed. That is clearly a case of the school taking authority that they do not have.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,029,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The other person was emphatic about her school requiring that all students in the class be invited to the party regardless of where the invitations are distributed. That is clearly a case of the school taking authority that they do not have.
Not sure if you're referring to the post below, but it seems that their school was "ok" with not inviting everyone to the party as long as private invites were sent out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
In our elementary school,either you invite the entire class or you invite no one... unless you have everyone's addresses and can send private invites.
The notice comes home at the beginning of the year...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:03 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
Not sure if you're referring to the post below, but it seems that their school was "ok" with not inviting everyone to the party as long as private invites were sent out.

Yes,you are correct. IF we have their addresses (of which I do not,there were no more directories available), you do not have to invite the entire class. IF the invites are sent to school,then yes,everyone "has" to be invited.
Not an unusual thing here where we live....
It is difficult yes,but I can also see why this policy is in place...

Old 05-22-2009, 04:16 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,900,225 times
I never did the "whole class" thing. When my kids were young it was mostly family and maybe a couple close friends who we invited personally, not with invitations handed out at school. Nobody ever got their feelings hurt. When they were teens it was a different story. We had a couple 'open house' style parties where people came and went all afternoon and evening, and I often didn't even know who some of them were. But we always had several adults at the house so nothing ever got out of hand and gave me a chance to see exactly who counted themselves as my kids friends.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:26 PM

21,134 posts, read 22,102,729 times
When my kids were 9, I certainly knew the kids my kids counted as close friends. Enough that I knew their phone numbers or, at the very least, who I could call to get them...There are also, phone books both hard copy and online. Even for people with unlisted numbers, if your kids are friends, it is not impossible to get a phone number and from there you get an address. Not rocket science and you will need the address for thank-you's anyway.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:38 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,157,571 times
For my daughter it has been simple, I bring in cupcakes or cookie cakes for the entire class and extra for her friends in other classes and they have a small celebration. Her birthday parties, we mail invites to the children at their home, which is the school policy. Problem solved.

In addition, all the parties she's been invited to (by school mates) have been mailed to us at home or either e-vite by email.

Have another issue that falls under this category however, i don't want to hijack the thread so i'll start a new thread.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:42 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
When my kids were 9, I certainly knew the kids my kids counted as close friends. Enough that I knew their phone numbers or, at the very least, who I could call to get them...There are also, phone books both hard copy and online. Even for people with unlisted numbers, if your kids are friends, it is not impossible to get a phone number and from there you get an address. Not rocket science and you will need the address for thank-you's anyway.

You are right... not rocket science...
We are new in the area,moved into the school in January,the school had no more directories and we do not know many of the children's last names... otherwise we could obviously have looked up the names.
My daughter is in 1st grade so I hope that by the time she is 9,we will know people well enough to have their numbers at that time.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:48 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,311,908 times
on another note, re: the pool party.
No matter how many kids I have, I clearly invite the parent to stay for the party, and siblings are welcomed. Of course I make exceptions, if teh parent cannot stay. Often a parent will arrange with another mom to keep an eye out for her kid.
Not too much of a big deal- a bit more pizza, a bit more cake & drinks... but I get peace of mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting