U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:54 AM

1,269 posts, read 2,066,305 times

Advertisements

My twins are 17 months old. They have got into the biting stage now. They leave bruises on each other biting. They also bite us too when they do not get their way. Any tips on how to stop them from doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 AM

758 posts, read 1,594,840 times
I thankfully never had problems with my kids biting but my SIL did. Her day care provider suggested that her DD was doing it for attention. So she said to try this...when the biting happens completely ignore the biter and focus the attention on the one that was bitten, i.e. "are you ok honey? that hurts I know, it'll be alright, do you need a bandaid?" Then when you have the bitten one taken care of, matter of factly (no emotion) tell the biter that "we do not bite" and take them to the time out chair or whatever you use for punishment. This gives them no attention for the bad behavior and it worked for her after about a week. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:12 AM

3,107 posts, read 8,030,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I thankfully never had problems with my kids biting but my SIL did. Her day care provider suggested that her DD was doing it for attention. So she said to try this...when the biting happens completely ignore the biter and focus the attention on the one that was bitten, i.e. "are you ok honey? that hurts I know, it'll be alright, do you need a bandaid?" Then when you have the bitten one taken care of, matter of factly (no emotion) tell the biter that "we do not bite" and take them to the time out chair or whatever you use for punishment. This gives them no attention for the bad behavior and it worked for her after about a week. Good luck!
Mine are 14 months old & DD is the biter while DS is the victim. I did a month of time-outs in her play pen but that accomplished nothing. She was still biting. Started doing what Skahar describes above & it seems to be working. I've also tried to be a little bit more vigilant with her & if I see her starting to take the biter-stance, I stick something in her mouth - whether it's a pacifier, teething toy or one of her dolls. That seems to stave off any need to chomp down on her brother.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 11:14 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,147,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
My twins are 17 months old. They have got into the biting stage now. They leave bruises on each other biting. They also bite us too when they do not get their way. Any tips on how to stop them from doing it?
Bite them back.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Bite them back.
I've been advised on some message boards to do the same. I was so ticked off at DD the other day because she actually broke skin that I almost bit her myself. But, I just couldn't do it.

OP's twins are already biting each other so clearly being bitten isn't phasing them/making them stop.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 AM

469 posts, read 1,631,621 times
my DS was "the biter" at daycare when he was that age. . .we were in a middle of a move, so we thilnk he was acting out. we also came to the conclusion that because he didn't know a lot of words at that time, he was trying to get his point across. we spoke to him and asked him what he needed. as goofy as that just sounded, it worked. it has--thankfully--been non-existent for SEVERAL months.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:34 PM

168 posts, read 257,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Bite them back.
This TOTALLY worked for us. We had two of the four that started biting, but one quick, firm bite back from Mom or Dad let them realize what it was like and the behavior quickly ended.

Just last night I took the kids out to eat at this place that has a really great play place. There was this one boy that was a terror to the smaller children, hitting, pulling hair, slapping and the smaller kids started ganging up on him giving it back. The point I am trying to make here is that the behavior didn't stop until I stepped in and said "NO" (no it wasn't my child). Sometimes it takes a shock from the grown-ups to make it stop.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,066,305 times
Thanks for the responses!

We tried the biting them back but does not seem to work. Just today one of them bite me twice. None of our other kids ever bit like this. You think maybe they do it for attention?

Old 05-20-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacieberry View Post
Thanks for the responses!

We tried the biting them back but does not seem to work. Just today one of them bite me twice. None of our other kids ever bit like this. You think maybe they do it for attention?
I think maybe a combination of wanting attention, teething (she seems worse when she's teething) and in our case, funnily enough, affection. She lunges at DS with the biggest exclamation of glee & wraps her arms around him. If I happen not to catch her in the act right away, I do find her with her cheek against him, hugging him while he cries. I shudder to think of her greeting a play date with that kind of glee which is why I really want to get this nipped in the bud!

It's been a little hard to discipline her too because if she gets yelled at & starts to cry DS wants to get away from me (while he's be given all the attn) and go to her to pat her on the back. If I don't let go of him, he starts wailing. The moment I let him go, he goes toddling over to her.

Good times.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:50 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,147,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
I've been advised on some message boards to do the same. I was so ticked off at DD the other day because she actually broke skin that I almost bit her myself. But, I just couldn't do it.

OP's twins are already biting each other so clearly being bitten isn't phasing them/making them stop.
There is a big psychological difference to a child between being bitten by a sibling or playmate, and actually having a parent bite them.

Now, I'm not advocating breaking the skin, leaving a red mark, or anything like that. Just a firm, surprising bite to startle the heck out of the kid and leave an impression. It worked on my son when he started to bite his sister. Only took a couple times for him to quit biting her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting