U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 AM

1,730 posts, read 3,995,737 times

Advertisements

I went to school in Miami in the 1970's and 1980's and we had PE every day even if it was pouring. Only way out was if it was storming which was worse because then we would have to go to the cafeteriea and do square dancing which I am still having nightmares about to this day lol!

I don't think it's bad for them to be out in the rain but if it is pouring or lightining then they absolutely should not be outdoors. But please don't subject them to the square dancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 01:15 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,186,061 times
I laughed when I saw the post about PE in the rain, thinking "Why not?" But if there are dangers in your area (which are not an issue so much here), then I can understand your fears. Talk to the teachers about it and other parents. Perhaps they could do PE in a gymn when its raining, there are always other options, surely.

Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Thunder and lightening no -- indoors is much safer. Rain in warm weather never hurt anyone, an umbrella can help keep kids dry.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:56 PM

1,861 posts, read 4,554,426 times
It sounds like they need one of the automated lightning detection systems that they have on golf courses. If there is a lightning strike within 6 miles of the facility, the foghorn-sounding thingies go off and everyone must come inside. Otherwise, you could theoretically stay outside in the rain (not my idea of fun, but golfers-including my DH-are crazy that way!).

Old 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times
Roger Russell's Central Florida Lightning page

I live in what this website calls Lightning Alley
This guy says that Florida has about 1 million cloud to ground lightning strikes per year.

How many of you know someone struck by lightning?

One of my neighbors on the next block was struck by lightning in the street in front of her house, she was running to grab her son out of the storm and she was hit, he was spared. She lived but has some lasting problems because of it.

The Most Dangerous States for Lightning Related Injuries and Deaths
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or