U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times

Advertisements

Let me explain why this is a big deal. We are in Florida which is the lightening capital of the world. You might not SEE the lightening but it can be 10 miles away and still HIT someone where you are.

I hear from my daughter over and over again they are forced to go outside for PE in the rain. This just seems like a complete and total lack of common sense.

We have been in tornado warnings and watches, flooding in our area since last night and the stupid school is having the kids go outside to do PE. I say thats NUTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:28 PM

326 posts, read 1,146,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Let me explain why this is a big deal. We are in Florida which is the lightening capital of the world. You might not SEE the lightening but it can be 10 miles away and still HIT someone where you are.

I hear from my daughter over and over again they are forced to go outside for PE in the rain. This just seems like a complete and total lack of common sense.

We have been in tornado warnings and watches, flooding in our area since last night and the stupid school is having the kids go outside to do PE. I say thats NUTS.
I think that is nuts...

When I was going to school in Jersey there was no way they would sent us out in the rain.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,878 times
Lindsey, I would say it should be decided case-by-case. If it's just a little spritzle, I'd send the kids out. A little rain won't hurt them (key word, "little"). After all, people walk around in the rain all the time, shopping, working, whatever. However, if it's pouring down, if the kids are going to get soaked, or even just wet enough to make the rest of the day miserable (for them or anyone who has to smell them), and certainly if there is thunder and lightning in the vicinity, then no, keep 'em inside for inside PE.

Isn't it already done that way? Or do they send the kids out always, downpour or drizzle?

Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,788,274 times
It is strange to me as well. My kids don't go out for pe in the rain, they go to the gym and do something inside.

Is there more to the story? I can't imagine the school sending kids outside in the rain and then having to spend the day in wet clothes.
As for lightening, we play sports in the rain but if there is lightening nearby, that's when they get cancelled, perhaps that's the school's policy as well? I can't imagine them sending the kids out in the middle of a lightening storm. And how much rain, just a light sprinkle? Or major downpour? One thing I've learned over the years is that alot of the time, my kids stories are a little more interesting than the actual facts

Old 05-20-2009, 01:33 PM

8,011 posts, read 22,505,069 times
My initial response to the title of your thread was "Of course they should"

However, after reading your thread, you aren't talking just rain. If it is "storming", then my answer is no.

In my area, rain is most often just rain. It doesn't hurt to go out and run around in a light drizzle.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:02 PM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Quote:

Do they have a lightning detector? We also live in Fl and honestly if they stayed inside every day it rained nobody would EVER go outside. My kids school is within earshot of a park that has a lightning detector. If there is no lightning threat they go out, rain or shine. None of them has ever melted from the rain.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:30 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,434,532 times
When I was a lifeguard in S. Georgia, our rule was if you hear thunder, clear the pool and deck area.

Fast forward 9 years later to the same town where my child was playing little league. They kept the game going during thunder and rain. I was about to pull him when they finally called the game. I called the office that Monday to talk to them about it and their opinion was if the lightning detector did not detect lightning, then the kids were fine to play. I told them my opinion was that if I heard thunder and it was raining I was pulling my kids from the game. Anyone can call me a jerk because of it, but its not worth it to me to wait for the lightning detector to detect it and then have us take 5-10 minutes of walking in the rain from the field to the parking lot to get shelter in our vehicle.

So, I think if its merely rain, no problem. My kids and I were playing in the rain in our backyard during Tropical Storm Charley (after the worst had passed - I was out taking pics of the downed tree limbs) so I'm not afraid of them getting a little wet. If there is thunder, I'd pull the kids in. But that's me, better safe than sorry.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:39 PM

324 posts, read 764,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Have you considered trying to find an island to move to since everything & everybody outside of your acceptance circle are complete idiots?

How has OP implied that everyone is an idiot? She just asked a question about kids in the rain & dangers of lightning.

Internet bullying is not right...

Old 05-20-2009, 05:17 PM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,759 times
If it is a light warm rain, with little to no wind I do not see the problem in them going out and doing PE. Now if it were a down pour or it was lightening and the wind was blowing 20+ MPH and it was below 50 degrees then that is a different story. In those cases I say they should do PE indoors.

Kids may be sweet, but they ain't sugar so they are not going to melt if they get a little wet.

Heck we spent over 2 hours the other day playing and watching soccer games (had two kids with back to back games) in a light drizzle with temps. around 50 degrees and all of us lived to tell about it.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:12 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,993,535 times
Quote:

That is nuts! I spent my teenage PE years in West Palm - we NEVER went out in the rain. We had study time or some sort of other activity to do instead...are we talking about a drizzle or full-on FLA rain storm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or