U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 11:33 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreycsmith View Post
In your lifestyle and that of your mother's, fathers, etc.

Please don't stop them from seeing and visiting the grandparents, or other family members that you know of. Everyone that they see and visit, will teach them things, and help them grow. You can't do it all yourself.

They will remember and appreciate you more when you don't punish them for your child like attitude. Thank you.
wonderful post!
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I think I already said this on this thread. There is a big difference between having a disagreement with one's parents and having parents that are abusive or toxic. People who make generalizations usually have lived very sheltered lives.

I don't think the above post had one thing to do with your situation so why act as though it does?
You are hyper sensitive and need to chill. Everything isn't about you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 11:47 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I don't think the above post had one thing to do with your situation so why act as though it does?
You are hyper sensitive and need to chill. Everything isn't about you
Who said it had anything to do with me? I am not sensitive about this situation. As a matter of fact I wish my children could spend more time with their grandparents. Unfortunately one has already passed.

Sounds to me like you are reacting to my posts in the other thread. Two different and independent conversations to me.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:59 PM

6,262 posts, read 16,961,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Who said it had anything to do with me? I am not sensitive about this situation. As a matter of fact I wish my children could spend more time with their grandparents. Unfortunately one has already passed.

Sounds to me like you are reacting to my posts in the other thread. Two different and independent conversations to me.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:29 AM

4,941 posts, read 7,085,497 times
My mother and I have always had a strained relationship due to her alcoholism however, when I had my son, I decided that I would not give him any preconceived notions about his grandmother. She ended up showing her true self to him all on her own. He does not have a relationship with her and this seems to suit her just fine. So sad!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:19 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
My mother and I have always had a strained relationship due to her alcoholism however, when I had my son, I decided that I would not give him any preconceived notions about his grandmother. She ended up showing her true self to him all on her own. He does not have a relationship with her and this seems to suit her just fine. So sad!
At what age did you expose him to alcoholism? If I had been in your shoes I would have kept them apart until he was old enough to understand it. Maybe in his teens. I wouldn't have bad mouthed her or anything like that.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:23 AM

12 posts, read 30,310 times
with situations that are going on in my life-my brother, who lives with us of course, is not allowed to hold my daughter, play with her, or anything..even though he still does. i snap on him and i tell him he's not my brother and i don't want her around him period. i even told my parents to keep her away from him. if i see that he has her or is holding her i grab her and get away from him.

it's a long story but after the way my brother has been treating me i don't look at him as a brother and one day he'll regret it when he ends up needing help.

don't know if that kinda answers your question...

Old 09-20-2009, 10:44 PM
pll

1,042 posts, read 2,091,632 times
I would definitely keep them away from anyone, family member or friend, who you felt was abusive to you emotionally or physically. Especially if it is continually. It teaches them that they may need to make bounderies with unhealthy and destructive people.(It's very important for females to learn this).
If it's just a minor diagreement then reconcile and forgive your parent. This is important for your children to learn. Lead by example.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 52,363,417 times
My mom was a very difficult person to be around. After several years we decided not to have a relationship with her. If she called we talked to her but that was about it. The kids did not want to see her either. It wasn't an abusive relationship just one that was not good. For those that have not lived with a relationship like this you really can't tell people that you should 'just let them see the kids". If you had a friend like my mom you would not have maintained that relationship. I do not believe that just because they are family that you have to have a relationship with them. Our kids have wonderful Grandparents-my Dad and step-mom, DH's parents and a couple friends of our family that are grandparent age. They have missed out on nothing.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM

11,294 posts, read 16,393,440 times
I think the children should be left out of the situation, its not there fault that the parents and grandparents don't get along, grandparents should be able to see there grandchildren whenever they want IMO, parents and grandparents shouldn't bicker in front of the children either.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:15 PM
pll

1,042 posts, read 2,091,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
My mom was a very difficult person to be around. After several years we decided not to have a relationship with her. If she called we talked to her but that was about it. The kids did not want to see her either. It wasn't an abusive relationship just one that was not good. For those that have not lived with a relationship like this you really can't tell people that you should 'just let them see the kids". If you had a friend like my mom you would not have maintained that relationship. I do not believe that just because they are family that you have to have a relationship with them. Our kids have wonderful Grandparents-my Dad and step-mom, DH's parents and a couple friends of our family that are grandparent age. They have missed out on nothing.
I totally agree! All my kids have missed out in not having a relationship with their Grandma is a lot of arguing and strife. Everyone has accepted that this is healthier on both sides. However, they are close to my step-mom and MIL who are a little more stable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or