U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 07:34 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times

Advertisements

Jacky, how do they react to doing social stories before events? What I've noticed is that a lot of the anger management stuff springs from frustration with not understanding the rules-- or thinking you understand them only to have them flip on you. Would it help to schedule something with another HS family (the zoo, the aquarium, or some "neutral territory" where there's a pretty standard agenda) and prepare by saying "okay, we're going to the zoo. We may not see everything today, but we'll see most of it. Pick your four favorite things, and we'll be sure to see at least three of them. If we have no meltdowns and no reason to leave in a hurry, we can get Slushees." Or "you get to pick something, then your brother gets to pick, then our friend gets to pick. Then the grownups get to decide."
Or whatever. As long as the ground rules are laid out ahead, it seems to help, even with my neurotypical kid.

And yeah, okay, that last bit about the Slushee's bribery, but I found it works pretty well. And eventually when we've mastered Zoo Dates 101, we can leave out the Slushees or change it to something else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 07:57 AM

1,100 posts, read 2,585,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
What about a trampoline. We have had one for years and I can't get my kids off of it.
AWESOME idea!!! My neighbor has a huge trampoline and my son (who is normally an "indoor" type of kid) LOVES IT!!!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:18 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,618,392 times
Regarding backyard trampolines: CHECK YOUR INSURANCE.

Tramps can be fun but they can be VERY dangerous, especially when there is more than one jumper at a time. And there usually is. People can and do fall off for a variety of reasons. Mis-aimed bounce, colliding with another jumper, just plain bad luck... Broken legs, arms, landing on the neck. All, bad news.

You may say, well, I'll put that high netting around it and then no one can fall off the sides. Even those with the netting can break (bad springs), propelling the jumper directly to the ground. And if that ground isn't heavily padded...

I hate to be Negative Nelly , but backyard trampolines worry me. I'd rather see kids on a supervised, indoor tramp with proper padding underneath and all around.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,842,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
My kids don't really get into being outside. They aren't athletic. I take em outside anyways and go on walks or hikes but it isn't all that enjoyable sometimes. They get stuck on a topic and just ramble on and on and I can't even hear myself think.

Anyways.. I digress, what do other parents do with not so active kids that have no friends, have trouble getting along with peers, are very active but only indoors. They are also less mature than their peers. Keeping in mind they have Aspergers and Social Anxiety issues, what can I do?

I stay at home all day with them, as they are home schooled, so its very herd on me, as well, esp since I DO happen to like outdoors and have some serious cabin fever going on (and miss talking to other human beings my own age). They have some extracurricular activities once a week for one hour, but that isn't very much.
Do you have a homeschool group that you belong to? This time of year, our homeschool groups are very active, and I can have the kids out at the park, the beach, or on trips 3-4 days per week. Even the bigger kids in the group have fun playing on the playground equipment, plus we all bring scooters and bikes and sidewalk chalk to share. If you are not part of a group, try going to Yahoo! Groups - Join or create groups, clubs, forums & communities and putting in your town, state plus "homeschool group." I have found several groups this way in the different towns we've lived in.

Other good outdoor activities are going to the zoo, packing a picnic, going fishing, going to the beach/lake/pond, going to the pool at the YMCA or rec center, walking trails at a state park. You can at least enjoy some fresh air and sunshine if you take them outside to do some of their schoolwork, or else bring a book and let them kick around a soccer ball.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 AM

24,717 posts, read 59,563,864 times
They may be agrophobic. If so, it is my understanding that the worst thing that you can do is force them to go outside.

They may also just be unaccustomed to being outside. With my kids, they tend to stay in unless I order them outside. Eventually the find something that they enjoy outside and have a gret time. They just need a nudge.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:43 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,146,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
What kind of things do they like to do inside? That would help the brainstorm here! Also, Geocaching is based off of an older "game" using map and compass. I also have done ones where it is by metes and bounds (using phsical landmarks to lead you to the box) and the "treasure" is a stamp. You create your own stamp book and own unique stamp, once you get to the box, you stamp your book and use your stamp to stamp the box's book. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it now...I will ask my sister.

I just got a picture book from the library that revolved around "fairy houses." They have their own website: www.fairyhouses.com. They give you tips on where to build, as well as the rules: only natural, non-living materials can be used (like sticks you find on the ground, but not ones you tear off a tree). It might go along with their pretend play. (You could also change it to something more boyish, like gnomes or imps).

Are there any natural areas around? Like a wildlife refuge, county park, national forest, state park. These areas tend to be empty of people during the weekdays and would be perfect for an adventure. Take whatever story line they like to use for their pretend and apply it to a trail. They like to play knights? Then they have to go on a quest to find the dragon at so-and-so point on the trail. Aliens? They are exploring a new planet.

I have also found books are a great starting point. We just checked out "Mattland." A boy has just moved to a new devlopment, where there is lots of mud and scraps. He starts building a whole land out of the mud, sticks, tin scraps, etc.

Good luck!
Letterboxing?

Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,819,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Letterboxing?
Yes! That is it--thanks. I could not think of it for the life of me. A good site is www.letterboxing.org. They tell you the history of it, how to get started, and host a list of different boxes (and their clues), divided by state.

They get outdoors, go on an adventure, and connect with people without actually interacting with them in person (baby steps! they will get there eventually!).

Old 05-23-2009, 07:42 AM

4,469 posts, read 6,159,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
They may be agrophobic. If so, it is my understanding that the worst thing that you can do is force them to go outside.

They may also just be unaccustomed to being outside. With my kids, they tend to stay in unless I order them outside. Eventually the find something that they enjoy outside and have a gret time. They just need a nudge.

I believe he mentioned his kids have Asperger's, Cold.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,982,700 times
Default There are horseback lessons geared toward autistic kids

I've seen some interesting news reports about how well children with autism respond to horses. They can form a connection and trust with the horses that later allows them to form better relationships with people. Apparently, some stables offer riding programs specifically geared toward autistic children. It would get the kids outside and involved with physical activity.

Another idea is fly-fishing. My co-worker has an older child with some emotional issues (not autism, but it prevents her from making friends easily). He says there's something soothing about casting the line and standing in the tranquil water. It calms her and gets her to open up to him and they have good conversations when they fly-fish together. Plus, you might just catch dinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or