U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-23-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: St. Louis Metro East
515 posts, read 1,363,231 times
Reputation: 323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
There seem to be quite a lot of us who are talked at about Star Wars on a regular basis... LOL!
Star Wars on occasion... but look out for the X-Men! OMG...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-23-2009, 03:30 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
546 posts, read 1,464,079 times
Reputation: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
There seem to be quite a lot of us who are talked at about Star Wars on a regular basis... LOL!
Haha I actually mentioned this to my husband last night.

Funny note about talking: 2 of my best friends from high school flew down and are visiting for the weekend. They're basically family to us and love my kids to death and vice versa. I warned them my oldest looooves to talk about Star Wars lately so be ready for lengthy conversations. One of my friends was excited, as he grew up on Star Wars and loves it. But about 3 hours of nonstop Star Wars talk from my son I noticed the glazed eyes (something I warned him would happen and he adamantly said he would NOT do ). I had to laugh and point it out to his wife.


They're expecting their first in a few weeks. I think I might send them a Star Wars toy as a joke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 12:53 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Reputation: 35875
How many kids do you have? Are they all like that? Read the symptons of Asperger's Syndrome. A couple of indicators would be, if they just talk like that to one or a few people they confide in, and clam up when other people are around. Also, if they remain stuck on the same topic and beat it into the ground. Both could be signs of AS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 01:08 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Reputation: 35875
I just noticed in your other thread about Outdoorsy kids, that you acknowledged that they are Aspergers. That is something they will need to live with, and chances are, they'll be quite happy in seclusion from the society that does not make sense to them. Multiple Aspies in the same family seems odd to me, though.

An Asperger child loves order. They are not creative, and it is very unlikely that they are "making up" their accounts of their dreams. There is a good chance that they would love maps---give them maps and atlases. They might be delighted to memorize a Rand McNally road atlas. They might also enjoy something like baseball cards or stamp collecting, things that can be arranged according to similarities. Players on the same team, stamps from the same country. They might have an astounding capacity to memorize, but in different kinds of pattern formations. For example, they might be able to memorize the names of all the counties in your state, but not the words to the plege of allegiance. They are probably smarter than you think, but you will have to let their brains run in and out of doors that you think lead to empty rooms, because they're finding things in there that you can never see..

Last edited by jtur88; 05-24-2009 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 06:09 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,267,300 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I just noticed in your other thread about Outdoorsy kids, that you acknowledged that they are Aspergers. That is something they will need to live with, and chances are, they'll be quite happy in seclusion from the society that does not make sense to them. Multiple Aspies in the same family seems odd to me, though.

An Asperger child loves order. They are not creative, and it is very unlikely that they are "making up" their accounts of their dreams. There is a good chance that they would love maps---give them maps and atlases. They might be delighted to memorize a Rand McNally road atlas. They might also enjoy something like baseball cards or stamp collecting, things that can be arranged according to similarities. Players on the same team, stamps from the same country. They might have an astounding capacity to memorize, but in different kinds of pattern formations. For example, they might be able to memorize the names of all the counties in your state, but not the words to the plege of allegiance. They are probably smarter than you think, but you will have to let their brains run in and out of doors that you think lead to empty rooms, because they're finding things in there that you can never see..
Isn't making up a dream being creative?

Actually the boys are VERY creative, they draw constantly, make stories and write in a journal, and make comics. I got boxes full of "masterpieces" that I dunno what else to do with.

They actually have quite high intelligence, as well. Its just that something in their brains isn't clicking on the common sence parts sometimes or the ability to react properly in a given situation socially.

I can beleive that they are happy to live in the house 24/7 and that they have to live with that anti-social behavior to a degree, however:

- They do need to know how to socialize minimally as they will will at some point need to get groceries, or what not and need to talk to people sometimes. As such they need to know how to deal with being disagreed with and challenged without resorting to screaming, running or with violence. At the very least learn self-respect and not disturb everyone else's peace.

- Also the family they live with shouldn't have to become recluses just because of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,668 posts, read 71,590,043 times
Reputation: 35875
There is no particular indicator of AS that is inveriably present, so perhaps they are creative. But I would guess that their stories and pictures are very realistic representations of things that are a part of their real life.

You're right, they will learn to socialize. Or rather, they will learn to go through the motions of socialization, but they will not always get it right. And it will be tiring for them, and they will need to withdraw often from socialization and just unwind inside themselves. To them, socialization is something like learning a foreign language. They can carry on a conversation for a while, but soon it gets tiresome, and they need to back away and think in their own language.

It is possible that they think of the outdoors as a place where they have to be "neurtypical", the word that Aspies use to describe the rest of the world. They are beginning to undersand how tiring and boring it is to have to put on the face of those odd people who love fake socialization. Those people are all outside the house, and they don't like going out there, with the risk of running into someone who will ask stupid meaningless questions like "How are you?" and "Have you been a good boy?" and "Isn't that a pretty shirt?" They hate that, because that kind of social exchange runs through their pragmatic neurological wiring and hits dead ends. They would much rather socialize with someone who ask questions like "How come the cat you drew is green?" Questions that have real answers. They can spend 30 minutes of quality mental time telling you why the cat is green. Their mind never stops, it never idles in neutral. It is always running at high speed, and it is often very repetitive because it doesn't always have new material to fill the right-now experience gaps.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-24-2009 at 08:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 08:44 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,267,300 times
Reputation: 530
I'd just be happy if they could:

- not get stuck on 1-2 topics for hours on end (makes it very boring to those that have to be around it and I don't want to be bored of my kids)

- be able to carry a 2-way conversation (not just get talked AT and respond with "cool" or "Uh-huh"s)

- be able to disagree or correct them without them flying off the handle or reacting with violence, rude remarks or running off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2009, 04:12 PM
 
1,831 posts, read 3,734,779 times
Reputation: 1222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
I'd just be happy if they could:

- not get stuck on 1-2 topics for hours on end (makes it very boring to those that have to be around it and I don't want to be bored of my kids)

- be able to carry a 2-way conversation (not just get talked AT and respond with "cool" or "Uh-huh"s)

- be able to disagree or correct them without them flying off the handle or reacting with violence, rude remarks or running off.

Your descriptions in your posts sound SO like my son. He has PDD-NOS, but I have for a long time thought he was Asperger's. I wish for the same things. Sometimes I get my wish (I'll hear about rodents and Pokemon instead of canines).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2009, 03:21 AM
 
1,577 posts, read 3,267,300 times
Reputation: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
Your descriptions in your posts sound SO like my son. He has PDD-NOS, but I have for a long time thought he was Asperger's. I wish for the same things. Sometimes I get my wish (I'll hear about rodents and Pokemon instead of canines).
lol yes, I do get him to fall back to older interests at times. About a month ago its was Pokemon and Zelda, which I thought would never end, as well. Wonder what the next thing is?

I told my spouse, the homeschooling and lack of any peer interaction will probably inhibit any new interests for awhile, so we may be hearing about Yugi-oh and Dragonball for longer than usual...ugh.

PDD-NOS.. I'm gonna talk to their therapist about that. That sounds more accurate for mine, as well and I'd forgotten about it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 AM
 
Location: Germany (US ARMY)
9 posts, read 7,642 times
Reputation: 21
I know. It can get really boring when you don't know what to do with them other than just watch/listen to them talk and act out their favorite thing and you are just basically their audience all day.

I can't blame you for leaving them on their own for a little while, while you go do your own thing. As long as your checking in on them every so often, I'd say your doing fine.

Even then its hard when your getting interupted every 10 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top