Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times

Advertisements

Found this from a link a friend posted on Facebook. I am not a parent (yet), so maybe my reaction to this will differ greatly from posters here.

pedisedate - Google Search

(not sure if I can direct link here, but you can see the site from the search)

Have children become so out of control that a device like this was developed? Or (from the official quote below) have C-average dentists found they need more work?

Quote:
PediSedate is a medical device consisting of a colorful, toy-like headset that connects to a game component such as the Nintendo Game Boy system or a portable CD player. Once the child places it on his or her head and swings the snorkel down from its resting place atop the head, PediSedate transparently monitors respiratory function and distributes nitrous oxide, an anesthetic gas. The child comfortably becomes sedated while playing with a Nintendo Game Boy system or listening to music. This dramatically improves the hospital or dental experience for the child, parents and healthcare providers.

The result is a system that provides a calming influence over the children, monitors the child continuously, allows the procedure to be performed by less skilled personnel, increases the speed with which procedures can be performed and makes the procedure a less stressful experience for all involved. Each headset can be used multiple times per day by replacing the disposable components contained in the disposable kit.
Just curious as to the thoughts of actual parents on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 09:40 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
Yikes!! I'd rather they do it the old way. The reason I choose our dentist is his advertisement in the yellow pages said, "We cater to cowards.". He's great with kids and we've never ran into a need for something like this contraption.

Besides, how would a dentist reach the mouth of a younger child with that thing on their head? They wouldn't be able to lay their head back on the rest with those things sticking out on the sides either. Doesn't seem very practical to me.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:43 AM

536 posts, read 1,870,720 times
Our dentist is great with kids. My son is 4 and although he gets a little scared on the way there they always know how to cheer him up. At the end he doesn't want to leave.

Of course the minute someone tries to stick a needle in him watch out!

Old 05-21-2009, 10:21 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
My kids aren't afraid of the dentist... and my daughter fell and broke her four front teeth when she was two, and needed some fillings and cosmetic dentistry to patch her up. She did absolutely fine! No tears, no fear, no sedation. The key is not showing fear yourself, and finding an excellent dentist who is great with kids. We also kept each visit to about 15 minutes, so we had to go back a lot... but at two years old, they can only sit still for so long.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:02 AM

1,219 posts, read 4,217,247 times
I want to use that thing for ME!!!! Is there one for adults? I am absolutely paranoid of seeing dentists. Thankfully, my kids don't mind it at all.

While the majority of kids wouldn't need it for routine work, it can have a place in more involved procedures-lessening the chance of future dental paranoia (like I have, for that reason).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting