U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM
 
Location: California
29,640 posts, read 32,030,911 times
Reputation: 24775

Advertisements

No, probably not. Both my kids were 17 and I didn't even know the parents of their partners. I wasn't supposed to know myself but unfortunately everything always gets back to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
 
5,748 posts, read 10,525,379 times
Reputation: 4494
If they are under the age of 18, yes, I would contact the other parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 06:12 PM
 
7,099 posts, read 23,946,654 times
Reputation: 7248
No, no, no! You have no way of knowing how the other parents would react to such news. It could make the other teen's home life unbearable. Some parents are extremely punitive about such things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 08:55 PM
 
Location: Nova Scotia
458 posts, read 1,139,475 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
if you found out your teen was having sex-would you tell the other teens parents?
Yes, it does not matter what age of a teen they are simple fact is they are a teen. I would call the other parents and say "ya know what your boy had sex with my girl and if a baby comes out of it you will make your teen son responsible" as I would make my girl responsible. Point blank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 08:59 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 19,777,687 times
Reputation: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Yes, it does not matter what age of a teen they are simple fact is they are a teen. I would call the other parents and say "ya know what your boy had sex with my girl and if a baby comes out of it you will make your teen son responsible" as I would make my girl responsible. Point blank.
If the people are of age the parents are not responsible for them. An 18/19 year old is an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 09:15 PM
 
Location: Nova Scotia
458 posts, read 1,139,475 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If the people are of age the parents are not responsible for them. An 18/19 year old is an adult.
But the chances are the 18 or 19 yr old is still living under my roof and being fed by me and clothed by me. So I would say something to the boys parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 09:20 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 4,501,652 times
Reputation: 1846
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlsess View Post
if you found out your teen was having sex-would you tell the other teens parents?
Maybe. I would love to say, oh yes my son will be mature enough and the chic he is with will be mature enough and that he has made a great choice. But, what if he is not? What if he winds up with some girl that wants to have a baby or wants to have sex and then goes home after curfew and in order to get out of trouble says she has been raped?

So, maybe. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, I'll just do what I can to keep discussions open and hopefully give him the tools to make good choices. Or I can go with my prior plan which is to lock him in the basement till he is 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 09:30 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 19,777,687 times
Reputation: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
But the chances are the 18 or 19 yr old is still living under my roof and being fed by me and clothed by me. So I would say something to the boys parents.
You can say whatever you want, but you won't be able to hold another adult (his parents) responsible for his actions.

Do you honestly think that adults need to get permission from thier parents to have sex????

What would you expect the other parents to do about the behavior of another ADULT? Especially since having sex is in no way inappropriate for an adult. It's not like drug use, or criminal activity where you would want to let the family know so they could help the person get help.

Sex is a normal act and is performed by adults all over the world. If another parent called you and told you that your 18 year old was sexually active what would YOU do about it? Regardless of whether someone is living in your house if they are an adult they can have sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Nova Scotia
458 posts, read 1,139,475 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
You can say whatever you want, but you won't be able to hold another adult (his parents) responsible for his actions.

Do you honestly think that adults need to get permission from thier parents to have sex????

What would you expect the other parents to do about the behavior of another ADULT? Especially since having sex is in no way inappropriate for an adult. It's not like drug use, or criminal activity where you would want to let the family know so they could help the person get help.

Sex is a normal act and is performed by adults all over the world. If another parent called you and told you that your 18 year old was sexually active what would YOU do about it? Regardless of whether someone is living in your house if they are an adult they can have sex.
Yes they can have sex, and what you say makes perfect sense but I am only going by what I know. If a teen of any age was still living with me and I was providing for them as they were not doing it themselves I may feel obligated to tell the other parents. Perhaps I would only tell them if a pregnancy came about, I do not know. But as far as I am personally concerned I do not want to raise a baby that is not mine if I do not have to. And obviously the boy would be responsible for it as well, I think the parents should know. Unless he no longer lives at home then that is another matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 PM
 
11,617 posts, read 19,777,687 times
Reputation: 12056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post
Yes they can have sex, and what you say makes perfect sense but I am only going by what I know. If a teen of any age was still living with me and I was providing for them as they were not doing it themselves I may feel obligated to tell the other parents. Perhaps I would only tell them if a pregnancy came about, I do not know. But as far as I am personally concerned I do not want to raise a baby that is not mine if I do not have to. And obviously the boy would be responsible for it as well, I think the parents should know. Unless he no longer lives at home then that is another matter.
What would you ask them to do? At what age would you NOT tell the parents? 25? 30? I could see telling the parents of a younger teen, but an adult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top