U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like Disney books, movies, TV for kids?
Yes, I like Disney products for my kids 1 8.33%
Disney is about average for kids stuff 2 16.67%
I don't like Disney products much 7 58.33%
I am opposed to Disney for political reasons. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,249,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Disney has been criticized a lot in recent years for their marketing practices and unimaginative products. What do you think?
We pick & choose.

Thankfully, we have toddler boys & things like Hannah Montana never have to enter our home or even be asked about b/c that would be a big NO.

But, Toy Story has been a huge hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 10:18 PM

2,542 posts, read 5,827,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
.... But when they make backpacks, nightgowns or notebooks featuring the faces of Disney princesses, which ones are featured? Usually Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Ariel (and very occasionally, Belle).

Where are Mulan, Pocahontas, and Jasmine?

Well, uh... apparently, they are not the favorites of Disney's target audience. ...
It might also be that the popular princesses are from the classics and therefore herald by the parents who remember watching those movies as children. Whereas the others are from newer movies which may not have caught on. I guess I'm saying the quality of the newer movies may be the reason for the lack of diverse women figures portrayed on merchandise.

I have no clue, just thought I would bring up another argument.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,268,979 times
I think Disney needs to market to both genders so that boys (example) don't feel awkward about liking things that for some odd reason are marketed mostly to the girls (like High School Musical, which is not feminine at all) or even Hannah Montana which is just a cute show. I understand the whole female role model thing, but why can't a boy like that something too? Its teaching our kids to be self-conscience and sneaky and deceptive to avoid getting teased. Not good.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:12 AM

Well it is sad that a boy can't find (or apparently admit to liking) Hannah Montana OR the Jonas Bros. because its supposedly for girls. How? I dunno, but its not fair to the boys. Your right, Disney is marketed towards girls, even when the stars of the shows are Males. Suite Life on Deck, Jonas Bros, Corey in the House, all male leads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
First, let's face it. Disney is for girls.
It's not for boys. Boys are not Disney's target audience.
It's about little girls who want to be princesses.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

Disney at least seems to be trying for more diversity over the past couple of decades.

But when they make backpacks, nightgowns or notebooks featuring the faces of Disney princesses, which ones are featured? Usually Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Ariel (and very occasionally, Belle).

Where are Mulan, Pocahontas, and Jasmine?

Well, uh... apparently, they are not the favorites of Disney's target audience.

It's kind of sad, but what can you do? Disney tries to be politically correct. They try make bold, spunky, outspoken heroines of color. It's not the corporation's fault if these heroines fail to ignite the imaginations of Disney's target demographic (which would be, I suppose, girls aged 3 to about 8, and their parents).
This demographic prefers traditional, whitebread princesses who fall in love and get married in their mid-teens.

I have noticed a recent trend by Disney, to make the Disney version of Snow White appear hispanic. She's become much more olive-skinned lately, with fuller lips and dark brown eyes.

But... I don't know.
Disney tries to be P.C.
Let's give credit where credit is due.
Parents simply aren't willing to shell out the same amount of money for Mulan or Pocahontas merchandise that they are for Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty merchandise, and that's because their daughters aren't as interested in these darker-skinned heroines. Maybe because they're darker-skinned, maybe because they simply aren't "traditional" princesses, and therefore not as interesting to small children.

That's my two cents on it, anyway.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:03 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,653,762 times
Well, then, is Disney the cause of the dichotomy in which boys lack sensitivity? Or are they just doing their motivational research well and marketing to pre-existing societal tendencies?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Well, then, is Disney the cause of the dichotomy in which boys lack sensitivity? Or are they just doing their motivational research well and marketing to pre-existing societal tendencies?
sadly I understood that j/k

I think they are marketing to the groups that make them the most money, yes.

from a marketing stand point there probly isn't as much profit in boys over a certain age in regards to some of their products. That may be due to peer pressure, yes. Other guys teasing you for liking baby-ish disney. Stupid. I'm just theorizing here.

I mean how many boys wanna ride a skateboard with a Disney character on it? Probably not many so they don't bother selling those (example).

But there could be SOME products available. Maybe make them less available, but still available for those boys that DO like it and DONT care about peer pressure.

I kid you not, the only male (or unisexual) clothing we found was in Disney World, their friggin HQ had hardly anything non-female for their shows and even then only 3 or 4 products. The overpriced sweatshirt was purchased as it was very likely we'd never see it or the like ever again. Thats just sad.

And it isn't likely to change now because ALL the marketing is girly. The boys have just stopped trying to find anything for them, so the male market has been all but totally pushed away on the asusmption there won't be anything for them, so why bother looking?

Last edited by Jackyfrost01; 05-24-2009 at 09:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting