U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:03 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times

Advertisements

If your kids had the power to change you, a magic wand or an Alladin's lamp, what would they wish was different about you? (Aside from being a billionaire, or having Oreos every day for dinner.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 10:35 AM

1,747 posts, read 2,622,788 times
Excellent question! Thanks for starting this thread.

Ok, I'll bite. Hard to admit I'm not the perfect parent , but here goes . I think my son would have wanted me to "nag" less as he was growing up. Did you do your homework? Have you brushed your teeth? Why is your bed still unmade? Of course, if he had done the things I asked the FIRST time I asked, there would have been no "nagging". Personally, I think the "nag" tag is a guy response to not wanting to do things...

When he was young, I was fairly insistent about how he kept his room. Bed made (he had to make it, not me), everything put away (he had to stow it), clothes folded in drawers or hung on hangers in the closet (he had to hang them). Drove him buggy. As he got closer to teen age, I realized it was a losing battle and not worth fussing over (I kept getting the "nag" tag ). We compromised. As long as there no food in the room, he could keep it in whatever way he wanted. Needless to say, unless we had a showing, it was a wreck . Bed unmade ("I'm just getting back in later so why waste the time"), clothes on the floor (clean pile, not-so-clean but not-quite-smelly pile) and a happy camper living within.

Other than that, I think I was a fairly easy-to-live-with mom. And we have a GREAT relationship now!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:20 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,388,722 times
My 10 year old dd would wish I was better at crafts, cooking & fixing her hair; able to do french braids, etc. I bet she wishes I were more sociable too as I tend to be a homebody and she wants to constantly be on the go! I think my 7 y.o. dd is happy with me the way I am, although there's probably something she'd change if I asked her...

Old 05-24-2009, 04:45 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,622,788 times
Gee, Maja, looks like we're the only non-perfect parents on the boards!

Old 05-24-2009, 05:53 PM

833 posts, read 4,375,066 times
I just asked my two sons this...

Five year old says "to serve us candy for dinner".
Seven year old says "to take us to more fun places". THIS after JUST returning from Busch Gardens today.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:34 PM

3,681 posts, read 5,388,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly nomad View Post
gee, maja, looks like we're the only non-perfect parents on the boards!
lol!

Old 05-24-2009, 06:44 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,735,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If your kids had the power to change you, a magic wand or an Alladin's lamp, what would they wish was different about you? (Aside from being a billionaire, or having Oreos every day for dinner.)
I think it might be for me not to go spend the ENTIRE WEEKEND at my boyfriend's apartment. She adores him but since I don't take her with me to visit very often I suspect she gets JEALOUS when mommy goes

Old 05-24-2009, 07:30 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,687,173 times
I sometimes wondered if my kids would have preferred that I not be Aspergers. But we had close relationships, we were good friends, and I think they appreicated the fact that I didn't even know how to play mind games with them. What they saw was what they got. But because I was Aspergers, I probably embarrassed them a lot.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:04 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,865,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I sometimes wondered if my kids would have preferred that I not be Aspergers. But we had close relationships, we were good friends, and I think they appreicated the fact that I didn't even know how to play mind games with them. What they saw was what they got. But because I was Aspergers, I probably embarrassed them a lot.
They did not inherit Aspergers? I was under impression that it is hard NOT to inherit.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:20 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,471,031 times
My daughter says she would wave her wand and not have a bedtime anymore. She loves me just the way I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or