U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 07:19 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,495,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think that by placing so much emphasis AGAINST name brands it gives them a status that they might not have otherwise. I wouldn't necessarily worry about the name brand thing. If your kids like their clothes and they do not bust the family budget I wouldn't stress over them one way or the other.
Another idea is that if your kids really DO want a few items from their favorite (expensive) store, make a mental note and get them some items for Christmas or their birthday. If they grow up understanding that not everything needs to be from one particular store and those items that are from that store are regarded as special, they will likely treat them better and grow up with the idea that good things are worth waiting (and saving) for.

Also, it would help to let your kids know that if you are on a budget, you can either get a Wii, an IPod OR clothes from Justice. I see kids younger and younger walking around with IPods and I wonder why their parents are setting the bar so high. If your child has the latest high tech gadgets, a nicer cell phone than the one you've got, and wear newer more expensive clothes than anything in your closet, what message are you sending to them and what are you raising them to prioritize?

So many things are just another step to adulthood and decisions we make as parents will affect how our kids act as grown ups. Do you want your kid living in your basement but wearing $450 shoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 PM

5,384 posts, read 9,590,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Another idea is that if your kids really DO want a few items from their favorite (expensive) store, make a mental note and get them some items for Christmas or their birthday. If they grow up understanding that not everything needs to be from one particular store and those items that are from that store are regarded as special, they will likely treat them better and grow up with the idea that good things are worth waiting (and saving) for.

Also, it would help to let your kids know that if you are on a budget, you can either get a Wii, an IPod OR clothes from Justice. I see kids younger and younger walking around with IPods and I wonder why their parents are setting the bar so high. If your child has the latest high tech gadgets, a nicer cell phone than the one you've got, and wear newer more expensive clothes than anything in your closet, what message are you sending to them and what are you raising them to prioritize?

So many things are just another step to adulthood and decisions we make as parents will affect how our kids act as grown ups. Do you want your kid living in your basement but wearing $450 shoes?
This blows my mind My daughter comes home and will say So and So had a DS (again- she is 6).... and I say that is nice for So and So. I then said I think 6 years old is too young for a DS since at 6 she is still not able to find all of her toys when she wants them (we tend to have an issue with misplacing things). I explain a DS is a very expensive item and needs to be taken care of especially well, better than any Barbie or Webkinz has ever been loved in this house! She understands she is not up to the challenge. Good thing, because my wallet is not up to the challenge either! phew..... I think Santa would need a phone call on that one and a chit chat with the Easter Bunny! (one might just pass out from sticker shock)

Old 05-28-2009, 07:51 PM

21,142 posts, read 22,123,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
This blows my mind My daughter comes home and will say So and So had a DS (again- she is 6).... and I say that is nice for So and So. I then said I think 6 years old is too young for a DS since at 6 she is still not able to find all of her toys when she wants them (we tend to have an issue with misplacing things). I explain a DS is a very expensive item and needs to be taken care of especially well, better than any Barbie or Webkinz has ever been loved in this house! She understands she is not up to the challenge. Good thing, because my wallet is not up to the challenge either! phew..... I think Santa would need a phone call on that one and a chit chat with the Easter Bunny! (one might just pass out from sticker shock)
I have dealt with that issue by telling my kids if they wanted a certain item they were welcome to earn the money to pay for it themselves. Then follow through if they take you up on it. Sometimes it will take every once of strength to allow it but it is important to bite your tongue and allow it. I can remember it about killed me to watch my son spend a good amount of money he received as a gift for a religious milestone on a pair of skateboard type shoes that were popular at the time. I so wanted to tell him no, that is a ridiculous amount of money for a pair of shoes that you can't even run in! He did and learned that they wore out just like any other pair of shoes and then the money was gone. Too bad, so sad. Never did it again though! Now that he's older, I will set an amount that I am willing to spend on a pair of shoes (men's tennis shoes now -yikes!) and if he want something "more" he must make up the difference. Works pretty well actually...

Old 05-28-2009, 07:58 PM

3,084 posts, read 6,468,408 times
As far as Justice for Girls is concerned..... I don't shop there myself as my 11 yr old daughter is past the sizes they carry and it is for girls, so nothing there for my 6 yr old son either.

However I keep one of their cousins after school who has at least half her wardrobe from there. So I've seen plenty of their stuff. Their prices really aren't any different than Target for the most part and they have frequent coupons and cash rewards (including Webkinz that the coupons/cash can be used on!) that keeps her mom coming back to them.

So it's not the desire to have an expensive 'name' brand. Instead for this little girl, and many of her classmates, its the graphics on the shirts they desire. The monkey in particular, and all the retro stuff they have right now.

She has this monkey shirt:
Justice - Looks you luv for less!

and she actually wore this shirt today:
Justice - Looks you luv for less!

Both are listed as 9.99 right now, though I know that the peace sign shirt cost the g'ma less than that when she got it for her birthday a couple of weeks ago.

So, to me Justice isn't representative of a name label, but instead a fashion type that is popular right now. Just like previous trends.....bell bottoms....prairie skirts....leggings....that come round every few years.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:10 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,795,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
So it's not the desire to have an expensive 'name' brand. Instead for this little girl, and many of her classmates, its the graphics on the shirts they desire. The monkey in particular, and all the retro stuff they have right now.
Yeah I know what you mean, most of the girls at my sons school all wear super glittery screen tees with "rock star" or "diva" or "superstar" on them. My younger cousin went through a Lizzie Mcguire phase because ALL the girls in school were wearing Lizzie Mcguire. She was an unexpected child born 10 years after her 3 older brothers so her mom had no clue what she was talking about and she thought they were going to be expensive - we found out they sold them at Target. Hannah Montana's clothing line is pretty inexpensive too from what I've seen passing through the stores.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 AM

1,867 posts, read 3,599,625 times
Never heard of Justice, it seems to only sell clothes for "older" girls (mine is only 3 so 6 seems old lol) or maybe they dont have them on the East Coast (we have Limited Too which seems affiliated). But damn the prices looked cheap! $10 for a shirt? That's high end these days? I thought the clothing was very cute for the prices.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,900,442 times
Justice has been taken over by most of the Limited Too Clothing stores,a few of those still remaining under that name... They are slowly making their way all over the place, and yes,they have them on the East Coast,at least in the mid-atlantic area they do.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:47 AM

34,594 posts, read 42,755,715 times
You know it's the Moms and not the 6 year olds who are promoting this, right? So you are right to get a handle on this right away. "I know Chelsea and Tiffany look nice in their gold encrusted jeans, but in our family we prefer to wear more practical clothing".
Although it's been awhile since my daughter was in school, we had a rule that, since I was buying, I could veto anything inappropriate, but she got to choose what she wanted. That way, I was happy and so was she.
The herd mentality of kids is very normal, but don't give in to anything your family doesn't agree with, and encourage your daughter's uniqueness. I think being in sports is the most valuable way a kid can have a sense of belonging without having to follow the herd in other, more negative, ways.
Example: I had no problem with my daughter dying her hair green with the rest of her basketball team for a few days, but I would not get her a TV in her room or a cell phone even though EVERYBODY else had one (This was back in the day when, truly, everyone did NOT have one).

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM

2,838 posts, read 8,847,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Justice has been taken over by most of the Limited Too Clothing stores,a few of those still remaining under that name... They are slowly making their way all over the place, and yes,they have them on the East Coast,at least in the mid-atlantic area they do.
I'm pretty sure I saw on at the mall when we went the other day (I'm in CT). I don't remember seeing it before, though, so maybe it's new.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 9,590,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw on at the mall when we went the other day (I'm in CT). I don't remember seeing it before, though, so maybe it's new.
Yes, Justice and Limited Too are now the same store.... they just merged. I was just in there yesterday... and checked out the prices... an outfit would cost approx $50 if I were to buy a skirt and top for her that I felt were age appropriate for six. Some dresses that are about $40.... I am a little strict about her clothes (not too short shorts and skirts- no writing on the butt... no t-shirt about my boyfriend this or that...) and I do think some things are a bit geard for the older girls in there.... but there is a decent amount of clothes for the younger girls.... they are just more money than I want to spend. I don't like spending that much on her clothing, as I mentioned.... also, I am not ready to put that much of an emphasis on the label that goes with it. I think it is better to teach her to be proud of the fact that her family can buy her cute clothes at all then where they come from. When she can do that.... and can do that for a while... and when I go back to work... MAYBE (like I said previously)... maybe it will be time.... and maybe that time will be when she has enough birthday money to buy it herself....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting