U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:45 PM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I added additional info.
And it wasn't you who said it, it was someone else who said if it was anything more than G rated it wouldn't be allowed.

And there are tons of movies that are cute and that I enjoy that are like finding nemo, but my whole point was not allowing age appropriate things is harmful, but that wasn't directed at you.
She said it probably wouldn't be seen in her home. That may or may not mean that they weren't allowed to see it. What you allow in your home can be different. There are certain movies that aren't allowed in our home either. Doesn't mean they aren't allowed to be seen. One that comes to mind is The Exorcist (original). My kids have seen it. We choose not to show that in our home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 PM

4,665 posts, read 5,908,507 times
Reading these posts I am so glad my children have moved out into their own homes and taken all the afore mentioned rules with them to burden their own children with.

Currently, my husband and I have only a couple of basic rules:

1. Hang up your wet towels.
and
2. If you are the last person in or out, turn out the lights and lock the door.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 PM

42,220 posts, read 49,768,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
You have dogs, but are afraid to lie on your floor if people wear shoes in your home? Do you wash your dog's feet everytime they come back inside? Or their fur in they lay down outside?)
There's a towel by the backdoor to clean off the dogs before they come in. One of them gets bathed almost every week (sometimes twice a week - she has a prescription for baths). The other one swims pretty much daily. Overall, they don't spend time outside except for brief play times (which usually ends in swimming) and to go to the restroom. Not much 'lying down' going on outside. Frisbee, swimming, that sort of stuff.
We have shoes for the backyard by the back door so that we can slip 'em on to go out with the dogs. Sometimes it's nice to go romping through the grass barefoot, which is cool, because we scoop poop regularly and have a yard service that clips and cleans weekly.

Inside, the robot vacuum runs every other day, and a full service vacuum is done once a week.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:58 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,781,217 times
Do the vacs resent all that?

Old 09-15-2010, 10:28 PM

This thread has turned out funny for me, personally, and has elicited a few ha-ha-has and an "oh, brother" or two.

Then I started asking myself if I was a bad mother, because no one had ever told me that before. But I wasn't. I know that G-d has "been there" for me from the moment I learned I was first pregnant and that I read the right things in preparation as well as learned from the right people.

Thank you, Maciesmom, for clearing up the apparent confusion. I admit that I did decide to shorten the post as much as I could by removing anything that seemed unnecessary, and one of the things I took off was on that line: initially, I had written "unless I view it first."

For those of you who think I was such a terrible, inhibiting mother , we did watch a few things that were PG and worse (and I use that word on purpose), although I can't think of anything in particular this far from the time. However, if it had scientific or historical signifigance, they almost always got to see it. For example, had Amistad (R rating) come out while while they were children, they would have seen it in our home. But they would not have seen Jaws, which has not redeeming qualities, although now it is a cult classic.

Sorry -- interrupted by an important call, and I can't remember where I was going with this . . . .

Old 09-15-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Not only did my mom insist on all electric things off if no one was in the room, if you left your room and stuff was on, she charged us 25 cents for each device that was on. We each had a piece of paper taped to our bedroom door for a tally.

Regular rules at our house with one overriding one - Manners are free. Please use them.
Oh! My family is spread apart across several states, but when my first husband died in the '70s, my brother came. A fire fighter, he went aorund the house and unplugged all the stuff that was plugged in, except the 'fridge, stove, and microwave. I just let him do it, knowing I would plug everything back in when he left. The morning he left, lightning struck our house. Guess what we lost. The 'fridge, stove, and the microwave.

I still didn't learn. Everything's plugged in . . . .

Old 09-15-2010, 11:21 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,734,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsand2boys View Post
We have a no light saber in the living room rule. The kids are free to use the force in any other room of the house though.
LMAO.. love it

Old 09-15-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88txaggie View Post
I have one I've never heard of in anyone else's house. We have a 'no commercial' rule. Since my kids are young enough to only experience tv you can record, rewind, or pause, they are required to pause/fast forward thru commercials. If they happen to see a commercial, they are not allowed to say 'hey, I want what I saw on tv!'

We do the shoes off thing too.

And my kids go to bed between 7:30 and 8, because they naturally get up at 6am no matter what time they go to bed. This one is a challenge after the time change and before school is out - we have neighborhood kids that are younger than my oldest (he is 9) who stay outside till 8:30/9pm. He hates that!

We have no commercial rule here to. Actually, the only channel my son is allowed to watch is Noggin/Nick Jr (whatever they are calling it at the moment, but no commercials for products and toys) or movies like Pixar and Disney

No shoes inside rule here as well.

Also have a rule that we eat together, as a family, at the dinner table.

Bedtime rule is that Mommy puts the little one to bed after reading several books, brushing teeth and getting into jammies, and daddy gets up in the morning with him and makes him breakfast and gets him ready for the day. My husband works long hours and this works out for us because he and our son get about an hour together in morning to spend it alone. They both love it- and I get to sleep in. SCORE

If you play with one toy and are done with it, it gets put away. If you grab another toy and leave other said toy, I get to collect both toys and keep them for the day. I work very hard to keep this house clean and organized and now my kid is really good with cleaning up after himself

Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,489,422 times
I havent read all the posts here (I know, my bad) but we eat dinner at the table every night with no tv on. I can't stand trying to find out how everyone's day was when all eyes are glazed over at the tv. Occasionally as a treat we will eat our dinner in front of the tv for movie night etc. But its not the norm in my house. I actually didnt think this was an odd rule but I am noticing that a lot of people have the tv going non stop, during dinner, when people visit. I hate having to compete with a box.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL - my 20 yr old DD loves Finding Nemo and Cars...
Hell, I am 32 and love those movies. As well as Monster's Inc, Up, Disney's The Princess and the Frog, Mary Poppins, Sharks Tale....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or