U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 01:32 PM

2,820 posts, read 3,067,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't have a problem with most of your rules but why in the world is wake up time at 6AM. Are you farmers or something
I agree- it's not a bad thing for kids to sleep in once in awhile. Not everyday, but a few mornings here and there won't kill them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 01:33 PM

970 posts, read 2,542,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I agree- it's not a bad thing for kids to sleep in once in awhile. Not everyday, but a few mornings here and there won't kill them.
Exactly-on the weekends, we sometimes let it slide a bit. Like I said, I run a structured home, and I think that's reflected in my rules I set up.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:36 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,681,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Call me "Mr. Bad Guy", but me and my wife run a very structured household. The rules at the O'Leary home:
-Loud music goes off and all snacking stops at 9:00, computer and phones are turned off at 9:30
-Everybody is in bed by 10:00
-Wake-up time is at 6:00, for everybody.
-No friends are allowed over unless me or my wife are home.
-My children aren't allowed to leave the neighborhood, unless I know where they're going
-Non-competitive sports (bowling, track, etc.) are HEAVILY encouraged.
-This isn't a restaurant, my kids are expected to eat whatever's being made. No special orders.
-Master bedroom is OFF LIMITS.
-No leaving doors to the outside open.
-When I'm talking to someone, I don't want to be interrupted.

Are their bedrooms off limits to you?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Nope. We just don't raise late sleepers. I believe that when people sleep in until noon and beyond, that becomes a habit. And that habit slowly turns into laziness.

I slept until a noon until i had kids and i don't anymore .

Old 09-18-2010, 01:40 PM

139 posts, read 22,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Why would parents restrict themselves from access to their kids' bedrooms? My daughter would love that...she wouldn't even feel the need to try and stash her alcohol, as well as other substances she's been caught with before.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom33 View Post
Why would parents restrict themselves from access to their kids' bedrooms? My daughter would love that...she wouldn't even feel the need to try and stash her alcohol, as well as other substances she's been caught with before.

My point is his bedroom is holy ground so does he few theirs in the same way. Ie does he offer them the same respect they offer him. You daughter has broken the rules...and in her case she loses that privilege. But i do believe kids should have the right to some privacy.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:42 PM

970 posts, read 2,542,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Me and my wife try to stay out of their bedrooms as much as possible, but if they need help cleaning or folding and hanging clothes or something, one of us will come in and help. To be honest, I don't know why you targeted that rule. Every time I talk to one of the parents in my neighborhood, they have that exact same rule.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Me and my wife try to stay out of their bedrooms as much as possible, but if they need help cleaning or something, one of us will come in and help. To be honest, I don't know why you targeted that rule. Every time I talk to one of the parents in my neighborhood, they have that exact same rule.

I could never figure it out is why because my mother had the same rule....and her reasoning was *because i said so*....even till this day. I don't care if my kids romp through my room to be honest....they know they are not allowed to go through stuff that isn't theirs, but i don't mind them in there.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:51 PM

3,432 posts, read 3,273,693 times
Quote:
Nope. We just don't raise late sleepers. I believe that when people sleep in until noon and beyond, that becomes a habit. And that habit slowly turns into laziness.

I don't believe in sleeping until noon either. I never have. The latest one should sleep is 8:30 AM in my opinion.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I don't believe in sleeping until noon either. I never have. The latest one should sleep is 8:30 AM in my opinion.
What if they have a night job? Or like to stay up late sometimes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or