U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:06 PM
 
Location: WI
2,826 posts, read 3,074,618 times
Reputation: 4826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Exactly-on the weekends, we sometimes let it slide a bit. Like I said, I run a structured home, and I think that's reflected in my rules I set up.
OK- thanks for clearing that up. I was assuming that even on the weekends/summer, the kids still had to be up by 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: maryland
3,967 posts, read 5,693,403 times
Reputation: 1711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Who said anything about older teens?
My children are 16 (I'll give you that exception), 13, and 11. I have 2 more that moved out.

Well i don't know how you work the rules...some parents bend them as kids get older. And 16 is an older teen if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,545,898 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom33 View Post
I would feel like I was in an alternate dimension if teenagers willingly went to bed at 10 pm.
Or a house with good parenting? Before I go to bed, which is generally around 11-ish, I check their rooms, and if they're texting or on the computer or doing anything besides sleeping, I'll take their phone or their computer monitor for the next few days. I've only had to do that once, for each one of them, and they learned their lesson. When you have a house with consequences for bad behavior, everyone follows directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,965 posts, read 6,405,770 times
Reputation: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
I would love it .

Me three.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,545,898 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Well i don't know how you work the rules...some parents bend them as kids get older. And 16 is an older teen if you ask me.
That's why I said I'll give you that exception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wherever life takes me.
5,965 posts, read 6,405,770 times
Reputation: 3034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Or a house with good parenting? Before I go to bed, which is generally around 11-ish, I check their rooms, and if they're texting or on the computer or doing anything besides sleeping, I'll take their phone or their computer monitor for the next few days. I've only had to do that once, for each one of them, and they learned their lesson. When you have a house with consequences for bad behavior, everyone follows directions.
I've actually sent text messages in my sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:16 PM
 
1,302 posts, read 1,533,665 times
Reputation: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Or a house with good parenting? Before I go to bed, which is generally around 11-ish, I check their rooms, and if they're texting or on the computer or doing anything besides sleeping, I'll take their phone or their computer monitor for the next few days. I've only had to do that once, for each one of them, and they learned their lesson. When you have a house with consequences for bad behavior, everyone follows directions.
Completely an unfair qualifier. You are not a better parent because you make your kids go to bed earlier than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,545,898 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Completely an unfair qualifier. You are not a better parent because you make your kids go to bed earlier than others.
Its not because I make them go to sleep earlier. You missed the point. My point was, when my children violate the rules I set, I react with a punishment. Unfortunately, that can't be said for alot of parents today. It's ashame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:21 PM
 
139 posts, read 22,197 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Or a house with good parenting? ...When you have a house with consequences for bad behavior, everyone follows directions.
I think it depends on the family and particular individuals involved. My teenage daughter has recently experienced some pretty severe consequences for her behavior, and the jury is still out on whether she's going to start following directions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2010, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,545,898 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmom33 View Post
I think it depends on the family and particular individuals involved. My teenage daughter has recently experienced some pretty severe consequences for her behavior, and the jury is still out on whether she's going to start following directions.
Well, I'm sorry to hear about that. But there are exceptions to every rule, you have to remember that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top