U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 PM

970 posts, read 2,545,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Lots of parents don't have bedtimes as their kids get older. The idea being if you stay up to late....you suffer the consequences the next day.
Like I said, if you had to get four sleepy children out of bed, fed, and out the door before the bus to come...you'd know it's not just them that are suffering the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I don't know about that - after seeing the thread about start times of schools, I would venture to say there are a good number of teens having to get up that early.

My 16 year old gets up at 6am every morning - so that he has time to shower and get ready for school and make his lunch - he leaves by 6:55 ish. If he wasn't driving himself, he'd be leaving even earlier. Last year he was getting up at 5:45.

I don't have a bedtime for him. He regulates himself. On the weekends he'll sleep in pretty late.
My oldest is 16 too. But, I'm worried he would take advantage of being able to 'regulate himself' and stay up all night. Here, the latest you can sleep in on the weekends is 10. But, I appreciate you understanding the importance of waking up early.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:59 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,692,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Like I said, if you had to get four sleepy children out of bed, fed, and out the door before the bus to come...you'd know it's not just them that are suffering the consequences.

Well i wouldn't do it until they hit 14 or 15....and by then they will get themselves out of bed .

Old 09-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Well i wouldn't do it until they hit 14 or 15....and by then they will get themselves out of bed .
True, true. Although my 'middle child', who's almost 14, will NOT move out of bed if he stays up late. And that's why it's important for them to go to bed early.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:10 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,073,907 times
Quote:
Because generally as the kids get older the time they go to bed is extended....and most people don't have a wakeup call and not that early either lol.
Actually, as teens get older, they need more sleep. They have so much more going on during the day than a 6 or 7 year old and a much heavier work load at school. There's a reason you always here teens say "I'm tired" at school- they're not getting to bed early enough.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Actually, as teens get older, they need more sleep. They have so much more going on during the day than a 6 or 7 year old and a much heavier work load at school. There's a reason you always here teens say "I'm tired" at school- they're not getting to bed early enough.

They are growing of course but i am not going to force them to bed. Part of them becoming adults is being mature enough to know they need enough sleep.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,661,833 times
Like adults, kids are creatures of habit.
Good habits, grumpy habits.
Kids fit into the structure you create.
Adults are in charge.
They set the tone.
Given half a chance kids will stay up all night and not care about the consequences the next day. They are just not that mature.

I think that comes in when they hit 40

Old 09-18-2010, 04:13 PM

2,826 posts, read 3,073,907 times
Quote:
PM, honestly I don't see why you're arguing with someone who actually HAS teens (you have little ones, correct?). As your kids get older you'll see there is a huge benefit to having them go to bed at a reasonable time (in our house, they have to be in their rooms by 9:30 to start winding down and ideally they should be asleep by 10).

Old 09-18-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
True, true. Although my 'middle child', who's almost 14, will NOT move out of bed if he stays up late. And that's why it's important for them to go to bed early.

A bucket of water

Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
PM, honestly I don't see why you're arguing with someone who actually HAS teens (you have little ones, correct?). As your kids get older you'll see there is a huge benefit to having them go to bed at a reasonable time (in our house, they have to be in their rooms by 9:30 to start winding down and ideally they should be asleep by 10).

I'm not arguing i am discussing and giving my views is all. It works for his family and that's all that matters. He was curious on why the time issue out of all his rules was the one most people had issues with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or