U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM

970 posts, read 2,545,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
Thanks. 23 and 25, but they are still my babies

EDIT..yes, I was a fun parent. I don't know. I was (and still am) their friend which everyone hates. I was super strict when they were small so I think I eanred their respect. I gave them their freedom and they gave me respect, and that was all I ever wanted. Somehow, it all worked.
Wow, all grown up! I understand your viewpoint towards parenting. Kinda different...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:25 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,533,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Well, I'm good that I'm not the only one that has the 'not a restaurant' standpoint.

I never understood the purpose of playing music loud, though. Care to explain?
I know for me, I play it loud because I played it too loud as a child and now I can't hear. lol.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:29 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,533,665 times
Quote:
Wow, all grown up! I understand your viewpoint towards parenting. Kinda different...
For most of their lives it was just the three of us and we all made it work together. I was lucky, I think they were both born very nice young men who were always wise beyond their years.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
For most of their lives it was just the three of us and we all made it work together. I was lucky, I think they were both born very nice young men who were always wise beyond their years.
I'm glad to hear. It sounds like you are lucky!

Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,516,455 times
Quote:
I never understood the purpose of playing music loud, though. Care to explain?
Well, let me say that it's never on past 9 I usually have music on while I'm making dinner. Either the radio or my itunes pumped through the stereo downstairs. I'm a bit of a concert junkie so I like loud music I'll admit. And we all like the same music, so no one cares.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:06 PM

Very lovely family indeed!

It all boils down to every family being different and what works for one does not work for another. The family dynamic, personalities, etc., all play a part.

We just have one son - so a very different dynamic. Mine also is not a phone talker or texter - so rules for that have never come up because he's not into that.

He is into gaming, and just bought himself a new game - so I do have to lay down the law when it comes to that sort of thing.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Very lovely family indeed!

It all boils down to every family being different and what works for one does not work for another. The family dynamic, personalities, etc., all play a part.

We just have one son - so a very different dynamic. Mine also is not a phone talker or texter - so rules for that have never come up because he's not into that.

He is into gaming, and just bought himself a new game - so I do have to lay down the law when it comes to that sort of thing.
Thank you! That has to be one of my favorite pictures of them.

I agree. Luckily, god blessed us with very cooperative children who know how to follow rules, get along with others, etc., so, most of the time, it's not an issue. The two that have moved out, were a different story, lol.

I agree, once again. Very different dynamic. Probably easier to keep track of, too. And he's not a texter? Lucky you! I'm the only person in my house that isn't a compulsive texter, lol. I never really understood the point.

And it's good that you found an outlet to make yourself an authority figure with the games. A good number of parents don't really do that anymore, which is ashame.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
And he's not a texter? Lucky you! I'm the only person in my house that isn't a compulsive texter, lol. I never really understood the point.
No he's not - and he hates to talk on the phone. He's rather quiet. Also, he has to pay for his own phone/plan - so he's chosen NOT to have unlimited texting. He gets charged 10 cents a text. He's trained his best friend to call the house first Since he works he has to pay for his gas/part of insurance/phone. So he is very choosey where his money goes.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:55 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,238,968 times
Remisc, you have a beautiful family. But you should delete that picture.

It's too easy for strangers to identify you and your children with that picture here and your profile location the exact township you will be living.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 PM

For privacy reasons, I deleted the photo of my family I put up. But, I appreciate everyone's input about the rules and stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or