U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:53 AM

3,967 posts, read 5,671,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I've bolded the rules that I don't like. How about giving them vegetables as a snack after school. Kids get hungry at that time and depriving them of any food whatsoever because of their actions at dinner the night before????
Can they at least drink water after dinner or milk? People get thirsty.
What in the world is so wrong with gum? If its the sugar free kind?

Most gum uses xylitol anyway which essentially is sugar free .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 10:31 AM

2,060 posts, read 4,908,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I've bolded the rules that I don't like. How about giving them vegetables as a snack after school. Kids get hungry at that time and depriving them of any food whatsoever because of their actions at dinner the night before????
Can they at least drink water after dinner or milk? People get thirsty.
What in the world is so wrong with gum? If its the sugar free kind?
First off my daughter is 6. The rules work now and will be adjusted/added to as she gets older.

There's no depriving her of snacks after school because she eats her vegetables at dinner. The rule works!

Water and milk are all she is given to drink at home anyway. If she drinks so close to bedtime she has a high chance of wetting the bed so she knows she has to drink enough earlier. If she really wants a drink we will let her have a sip to wet her mouth but she can't just go get her own drink as she normally would.

And I just don't like seeing little kids chew gum. It looks tacky. Kids have no need to be chewing gum at all. And they leave it everywhere when they do, she has enough trouble keeping her clothes clean without adding gum to the mix. Plus the sugar free kinds are filled with chemicals, most of which I don't think kids need to be anywhere near.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 AM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
We weren't allowed gum as kids either because the sound drove my dad crazy. It was a huge deal to get it.

I don't recall my son having it when little either because it seems I inherited my dad's annoyance with the sound/smacking of chewing gum. It drives me crazy.

Old 09-19-2010, 10:42 AM

970 posts, read 2,540,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
We weren't allowed gum as kids either because the sound drove my dad crazy. It was a huge deal to get it.

I don't recall my son having it when little either because it seems I inherited my dad's annoyance with the sound/smacking of chewing gum. It drives me crazy.
I don't really have a problem with gum, unless they take it out of their mouth and play with it. When it comes to gum, I have a 'In your mouth or in the trash' rule.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 AM

3,432 posts, read 3,265,550 times
[quote=chicagojlo;15946224]First off my daughter is 6. The rules work now and will be adjusted/added to as she gets older.

There's no depriving her of snacks after school because she eats her vegetables at dinner. The rule works!

Water and milk are all she is given to drink at home anyway. If she drinks so close to bedtime she has a high chance of wetting the bed so she knows she has to drink enough earlier. If she really wants a drink we will let her have a sip to wet her mouth but she can't just go get her own drink as she normally would.

And I just don't like seeing little kids chew gum. It looks tacky. Kids have no need to be chewing gum at all. And they leave it everywhere when they do, she has enough trouble keeping her clothes clean without adding gum to the mix. Plus the sugar free kinds are filled with chemicals, most of which I don't think kids need to be anywhere near.[/quote]

You said she is six. Unless she has some medical condition that leads her to wet the bed there is no reason she shouldn't be able to hold in her pee all night if she goes to the bathroom right before bed. If she does have some kind of condition I can understand the rule.
Vegetables,fruits etc pretty much all have chemical residue in them as well. I doubt the occasional small piece of gum is going to expose her to a dangerous level of chemicals. That being said they are your rules and they are what work for you

Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,780,433 times
Don't forget that gum-chewing can be very good for us.

Benefits & Disadvantages of Chewing Gum | eHow.com

All a parent has to do is teach the child how to handle gum well, just as we teach them how to eat well.

There was one gum my children loved that I restricted them on. They loved that particular gum, but the odor of it made me sick! So when they had it, they had to chew outside.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:27 AM

970 posts, read 2,540,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
There was one gum my children loved that I restricted them on. They loved that particular gum, but the odor of it made me sick! So when they had it, they had to chew outside.
What gum was that?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:50 AM

707 posts, read 1,257,290 times
After I told my daughter some of these rules, she goes "mom and dad Im glad your awesome" Shes 5 and we dont set a bedtime because she knows that even if she stays up late she will be tired in the morning when we have to do things, we also make her different food due to the fact she has alot of allergies and COPD.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 9,493,975 times
I never had a gum "rule" - it just wasn't around the house much when my son was little because I really don't chew gum. I just don't want to hear it. I don't care if he chews it - but if I hear chomping or smacking or popping - they'll get an earful from me. Even my husband. I don't know what it is about that sound, but I can't stand it.

My son's best friend was over last night playing a new video game. This morning at breakfast I asked them what time they ended up going to sleep - 3 am. We were eating around 9:30ish. This happens so rarely that I frankly don't care. It's not like he sleeping the day away - he's now out there helping his dad fix a problem on the car and he has other things he has to get done. Now if he was a grouch, I'd tell him to suck it up and not subject the rest of us to him being tired, but that's not the case.....

Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,780,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
What gum was that?
Oh, this was years and years ago! It was gum that was made and colored like a hamburger. (This was before we were more into healthy eating.) It Just Reeked! Horribly! And I was the one who bought it for them as a little gift!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or