U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 PM

12,256 posts, read 15,839,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
In our house the main rule is: When you leave a room, TURN OFF THE LIGHT.
LOL my mom was the opposite. Our hall light was on from 6pm to 6am without fail. We also used to live in a "rough" neighborhood and my mom used to say if anybody was going to break in she wanted to see them. No groping around in the dark like they do on television. If you forgot and turned it off, she'd come right out of her room and turn it back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM

1,122 posts, read 1,972,964 times
I've got one that is a bit out there....

We teach our kids that being part of our family is a privilage. They have to respect each member regardless. No one hits each other, screams at each other, whines at each other, throws things at each other, ect, ect. If one member decides to disrepect another, they are saying that they disrespect or are unappreciative of being part of our family and are asked to leave the family moment until the decide that they want to reenter and be respectful. It can be were they sit and watch everyone and we make it painfully obvious that they are missing out on ordinary family time to where we make them stand on the porch and their behavior shunned if it's something really bad, like our 4 year old son who elbowed his 2 year old brother off the chair at dinner time onto his head. He kept trying to interupt us with "I'm just..." and we kept abduptly stopping him with a sharp ehh sound. When he wouldn't stop to listen to us or acknowledge the severity of what he did. I took him by the hand while he kept up with his "I was just..." crap without saying a word, put his boots and coat on and told him he would stand on the porch until he decided he wanted to be part of the family again..that NO ONE was allowed to treat our family like that and was not allowed to be part of the family. He was intrusted that he could cry but if he wailed loudly and obnoxiously to get our attention, he'd stay out there longer. He stood and cried out there while we comforted our other son and finished up our dinner, which was about 10 minutes. By then our other son had stopped crying and we asked him if he was ready to be part of the family again. He definantely said no so we told him that it was fine, he could stay on the porch and he could come in when he was ready to be part of the family again. He didn't last five minutes. Then he got the talk of his young life about his responsibility to protect his little brother, was not allowed to finish supper as family suppertime was over and was required to hold his brother (more like sit in the chair with his arm around him) and snuggle him until his little brother felt better.

They don't go to the porch very often and, if it gets to the point where they challenge us like that, we only have to tell them if they keep it up, they're being kicked out of the family moment and that snaps them out of it.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,152 times
Our rules:
Absolutely no LIES - you will be punished because you will get caught so don't bother.
NO Sex, drugs, alcohol.
If you are out with friends and do something stupid and get picked up by police - enjoy your evening in jail - we'll see you in the morning when we see fit.
Homework done before tv or computer time- no homework; than read for an hour
Be where you say you are going to be - if we find out you were elsewhere, it will be the last time you go
Chores get done before games/fun
No hats on in doors PERIOD end of discussion...this means the house, school, the store, church. Anywhere where there is a ceiling above your head, your hat is NOT on your head.
Manners are a must. If you want something be respectful enough of us and your self to use manners.
No one of the opposite sex in the bedroom and no one of the opposite sex in the house unless an adult is home.
Sounds like a lot but when the rules are clear, especially with teens, then there is no room for "well I didn't know" or "I didn't realize" Makes life so much easier.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,701,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybergin View Post
In our family when I was a kid -- and still now, even though I'm 38 -- the proper response to having our mother call our name was never "What?" or even a more respectful, "Yes, ma'am?" but rather "Coming!"

Mom would call to us and we'd call back, "What?" And there'd be silence. Then a little while later, another call to us, followed by a louder, more irritated "What?!?" Followed by more silence. Then there'd be another call, and this time we got wise and our response was this grudging, resentful, "Coming!" as we went to see what she wanted. Half the time she was just calling to ask us to fetch her a glass of water. Ha!

My mom and I joke about this today, but she still does it. And I still respond, like a good little girl, with "Coming!"

When i was a teen my grandma lived with us with emphysema (sp?) anyway she would always screem at the top of her lungs *amazing feat for someone on oxygen* CCCCOOOOOOODDDDDDDYYYYYY GIMMIE A GLASS OF WATER. lol your story reminded me of that.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I think these days that many rules that would have been considered normal or sensible in the past are now considered strict or restrictive. The thing I find interesting is that kids still come to our place and they accept the rules and so even though they may be ratbags at home, they try to follow the rules here. (Yes I know kids are always better behaved at someone elses house).

TV off when a visitor arrives.
No TV after school until 5pm. Use the hard disk recorder if you want to watch after school TV.
If a child comes into a room and wants to interrupt an adult they can say mum or dad only once then wait.
No ice cream or soft drink except for special occasions. So visiting kids get offered fruit - remember that.
Visiting kids have to call us Mr and Mrs...
We also have a family uniform - its just a fun thing but each year we buy matching T shirts in a colour or style and from time to time we will wear them together.
And we smack our kids. (ooh that will up set the PC brigade)
oh and they have a bed time and well during term time, they go to bed at bed time. Homework not finished - well do it in the morning.
We say grace before the evening meal.
You get called for dinner once. If you arrive after the meal has been served, you miss out. Tough luck. Go hungry. It happens about once a year per child maybe not even that.
No TV or computers in bed rooms. Amazes me howmany kids have TV's and or computers in bed rooms.

So I guess we are pretty unusual.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't have many rules but the ones I have are non-negotiable.

No sex, no drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no tattoes, and no piercings. The no drinking is with friends, they can drink at family events but that's quite limited, a small bit of wine or brandy around a campfire, or can of beer. No cuss words in this house.

What wrong with tattoos :-P. And can they cuss outside of the house? =D

Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you imposed any unusual rules of behavior in your house, that you think are not applied in most other households?

I had a "no shouting" rule. If you want to talk to somebody in another room, you get up and go to the other room and talk. No shouting from room to room. If you answer the phone and its for somebody else, you go to where they are and tell them the call is for them. (We had no portable phones ln those days.) The rule applied to everybody, If my daughter was upstairs, I'd have to go upstairs to tell her supper's ready. It made the house wonderfully peaceful, and everybody seemed to enjoy all the face-to-face contact.

No running with playdough! Very dangerous . LOL anyway i don't think we have odd rules just the typical family ones. Limited junk food,TV,computer etc.... The only thing i have to get on people about *and this is thanks to my darling husband*, is flushing the toilet after you pee. My husband is older then me and grew up with depression era parents who to save money would make the family pee without flushing but once a day. So yeah....gross.....lol so i am always on him the kids about that.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM

436 posts, read 1,302,108 times
I don't know if these are unusual but, not tv before 4 on school days, no music with swearing, no M rated video games, quiet time after 8 pm. I'm sure there is more but that is all I can think of

Old 09-14-2010, 07:07 PM

707 posts, read 1,261,993 times
We are a no rule family, the only rule we have is no swearing until you become teenagers and if you swear you have to pay the swear jar or have a toy taken away. (My brother decided it would be funny to teach my 5 year old daughter how to say the F word, so we implemented that rule)

Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
We are a no rule family, the only rule we have is no swearing until you become teenagers and if you swear you have to pay the swear jar or have a toy taken away. (My brother decided it would be funny to teach my 5 year old daughter how to say the F word, so we implemented that rule)

LOL those swear jars are great aren't they. Except in my case it was my husband who needed it....so yeah just paying right back into where it came from .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or