Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 04:31 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times

Advertisements

No shoes. There's a sign out front asking people to respectfully remove them. Why? Shoes carry outside dirt and that's gross. That's why. I want a home where I'm not afraid to lie on the floor so's to play with the dogs or read a book or get a massage.

Coasters. Coasters, coasters, coasters. Coasters. Please use a coaster.

[mod cut] No trash. I don't care what the 'official' rules are. These here are MY rules.

Last edited by mrstewart; 09-16-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 04:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
My brother refuses to come visit because he knows before he leaves there will be 20 dollars in the jar from him.

But oh so sweet for you when he does

Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,300 times
You have dogs, but are afraid to lie on your floor if people wear shoes in your home? Do you wash your dog's feet everytime they come back inside? Or their fur in they lay down outside?

When we had carpet and were renting, I asked people to remove their shoes or stay on the throw rugs - carpet is expensive and gets stained quickly when you have as many visitors each week as we did (scouts)

Old 09-15-2010, 06:00 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,634 times
Not only did my mom insist on all electric things off if no one was in the room, if you left your room and stuff was on, she charged us 25 cents for each device that was on. We each had a piece of paper taped to our bedroom door for a tally.

Regular rules at our house with one overriding one - Manners are free. Please use them.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy21fca View Post
no hats on at the dinner table

guess thats not so wierd.
Does wearing a hat at the dinner table, or in the house hurt anything? disrupt anything? hurt anyone?

I think that is the dumbest thing ever to make someone take a hat off in the house or dinner table. Wearing a hat indoors, so what, what is the big deal.........................

another stupid American thing...................

Old 09-15-2010, 08:48 AM

Our only home rule was, and is, we always speak Greek unless someone is there that doesn't understand our language.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,136 times
Well, I have only begun to read this thread, but I need to get off to work. Answering will make it come up afterward, so I can read all your answers.

My children are in their 30s now, but when they were in my home (I was single for much of that time) and they applied to everyone, even me:
  • No one says "shut up" to anyone. "Shut up" is completely unacceptable in all circumstances. I am the mother.
  • No one hits anyone. I am the mother.
  • No one bothers anyone while they are in the bathroom; that is private space. I am the mother.
  • We don't talk on the phone during meal times; call them back later -- it's family time. I am the mother.
  • No friends call me by a titled name, and no one calls me ma'am. Use my first name. I am the mother.
  • When someone is talking, everyone else listens and does not interrupt. I am the mother.
  • Anything above G-rating will probably not be seen in our home. I am the mother.
  • No swearing, but you can ask what such words mean. I am the mother.
  • You will come to meals fully clothed. I am the mother.
  • When there is a rain-puddle, it shall be jumped in if I am with you. I am the mother.
  • When you leave the house, tell me where you are going, when you expect to be back, and the curfew is rock-solid, no matter how old you are. I am the mother.
All these rules developed over time. They were very good at following them. But oops! I just realized I haven't dropped any of these rules! They may be in their thirties, but they all still stand!

One rule didn't make it all the way through their time in our home. It was, "As long as your are in my home, you will attend the services I attend." My daughter came to a rebellious time in her life. She was 18. One day, I told her, "I give up. I cannot make you be a believer. Do what you want." She went out to a party instead of going to service with me. When she came home, she sat down on the sofa and said, "I don't want it this way. I am through. I want G-d in my life." And we sat and cried together. She gave in to Him there that night.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Well, I have only begun to read this thread, but I need to get off to work. Answering will make it come up afterward, so I can read all your answers.

My children are in their 30s now, but when they were in my home (I was single for much of that time) and they applied to everyone, even me:
  • No one says "shut up" to anyone. "Shut up" is completely unacceptable in all circumstances. I am the mother.
  • No one hits anyone. I am the mother.
  • No one bothers anyone while they are in the bathroom; that is private space. I am the mother.
  • We don't talk on the phone during meal times; call them back later -- it's family time. I am the mother.
  • No friends call me by a titled name, and no one calls me ma'am. Use my first name. I am the mother.
  • When someone is talking, everyone else listens and does not interrupt. I am the mother.
  • Anything above G-rating will probably not be seen in our home. I am the mother.
  • No swearing, but you can ask what such words mean. I am the mother.
  • You will come to meals fully clothed. I am the mother.
  • When there is a rain-puddle, it shall be jumped in if I am with you. I am the mother.
  • When you leave the house, tell me where you are going, when you expect to be back, and the curfew is rock-solid, no matter how old you are. I am the mother.
All these rules developed over time. They were very good at following them. But oops! I just realized I haven't dropped any of these rules! They may be in their thirties, but they all still stand!

One rule didn't make it all the way through their time in our home. It was, "As long as your are in my home, you will attend the services I attend." My daughter came to a rebellious time in her life. She was 18. One day, I told her, "I give up. I cannot make you be a believer. Do what you want." She went out to a party instead of going to service with me. When she came home, she sat down on the sofa and said, "I don't want it this way. I am through. I want G-d in my life." And we sat and cried together. She gave in to Him there that night.

Ugh, glad I wasn't living in your house........................

Old 09-15-2010, 01:34 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,136 times
Hee-hee-hee! That's all right. My children enjoyed it!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
There were so many rules at my childhood house , but the two I remember the most were No singing at the Table and No Farting at the Table.

I broke the first rule alot and my father broke the second one almost every night!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting