Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 02:09 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Hee-hee-hee! That's all right. My children enjoyed it!

LOL, Thats the beauty of being a parent, we get to set the rules, change the rules, abolish the rules.....whatever we feel like it.

Child says yes, I say no, I win, I'm the parent !!!!!

sometimes it sucks to be the kids.. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
LOL, Thats the beauty of being a parent, we get to set the rules, change the rules, abolish the rules.....whatever we feel like it.

Child says yes, I say no, I win, I'm the parent !!!!!

sometimes it sucks to be the kids.. LOL
Not sure, but it looks like you are jumping to conclusions about my parenting. I had a blast, and my priority was that they have a blast but grow up disciplined. If you asked them, I seriously doubt they would say that they had a hard life. I purposed to make their lives as wonderful as I could.

Yes, things became harder on them when I finally remarried, but I would have done anything to make things the best I could for them. Now that they are adults, they are not just adults; they are great adults. Their family rules differ from mine, as I would expect and want (I did not rear clones), but they delight in their children as I delighted in them.

If you would rather I told them to "shut up," smacked them around, didn't allow them private times, etc., sweetie, that's your problem. My problem was not to make everyone else happy; my problem was how to rear great, productive, settled, conscientious, loving adults from the great children with whom I was gifted.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:55 PM

556 posts, read 798,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Does wearing a hat at the dinner table, or in the house hurt anything? disrupt anything? hurt anyone?

I think that is the dumbest thing ever to make someone take a hat off in the house or dinner table. Wearing a hat indoors, so what, what is the big deal.........................

another stupid American thing...................

LMAO! It's just a dumb old respect thing. I wouldn't expect some people to understand.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelcroQueen View Post
Well, I have only begun to read this thread, but I need to get off to work. Answering will make it come up afterward, so I can read all your answers.

My children are in their 30s now, but when they were in my home (I was single for much of that time) and they applied to everyone, even me:
  • No one says "shut up" to anyone. "Shut up" is completely unacceptable in all circumstances. I am the mother.
  • No one hits anyone. I am the mother.
  • No one bothers anyone while they are in the bathroom; that is private space. I am the mother.
  • We don't talk on the phone during meal times; call them back later -- it's family time. I am the mother.
  • No friends call me by a titled name, and no one calls me ma'am. Use my first name. I am the mother.
  • When someone is talking, everyone else listens and does not interrupt. I am the mother.
  • Anything above G-rating will probably not be seen in our home. I am the mother.
  • No swearing, but you can ask what such words mean. I am the mother.
  • You will come to meals fully clothed. I am the mother.
  • When there is a rain-puddle, it shall be jumped in if I am with you. I am the mother.
  • When you leave the house, tell me where you are going, when you expect to be back, and the curfew is rock-solid, no matter how old you are. I am the mother.
All these rules developed over time. They were very good at following them. But oops! I just realized I haven't dropped any of these rules! They may be in their thirties, but they all still stand!
I guess your kids never watched movies after the age of 10 or so...
Kinda hard to watch movies as a teenager when the only movies you can watch are G rated...pretty much all G rated movies are very very childish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
My mom was pretty lenient with me growing up, but I was just a good kid (she always told me she couldn't figure it out.. she was a "wild child" when she was young). So contrary to the posts I've been seeing on here, I've been allowed to drink with a few friends in the house since my senior year of high school- although she still doesn't really like it. It's rare, though.

I was never allowed to swear though until I got to college.
Wasn't allowed to yell for her from another room.
Don't bring wild/stray animals home.
I was never "allowed" to swear either but I did it with friends and stuff from middle school on.
I still don't swear at home but I swear anywhere else.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 PM

707 posts, read 1,466,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I guess your kids never watched movies after the age of 10 or so...
Kinda hard to watch movies as a teenager when the only movies you can watch are G rated...pretty much all G rated movies are very very childish...

I was never "allowed" to swear either but I did it with friends and stuff from middle school on.
I still don't swear at home but I swear anywhere else.

True Story: My favorite movies as a teenager were Finding Nemo and Madagascar....

Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
True Story: My favorite movies as a teenager were Finding Nemo and Madagascar....
I don't get why someone wouldn't let their child grow and have age appropriate things.

Someone at say 15 or 16 only being allowed to G rated movies, not only is that weird but I don't see that as healthy at all.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:20 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
LOL - my 20 yr old DD loves Finding Nemo and Cars...

Old 09-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
LOL - my 20 yr old DD loves Finding Nemo and Cars...
I love finding nemo.
However, I like watching things I can relate to.
As much as I love to watch finding nemo and sing just keep swimming just keep swimming, I like even more watching things my age that pertain to me and that I can relate to and understand.

I can only imagine the emotional and mental stunting that's going on when you do that to someone and keep them at a child's level way past the age where they are growing and developing...

I think it's damaging.

Additional: And there is a difference. There is nothing wrong with liking those movies at an older age and having that nostalgic feeling of childhood but to be 16/17 and still at the age of a 10 year old and not being able to watch and experience age appropriate things is harmful.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I don't keep her from watching anything. She just likes those movies. She also likes a bunch of other stuff. The point was that there are G-rated movies that can be enjoyed by more than young children.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't keep her from watching anything. She just likes those movies. She also likes a bunch of other stuff. The point was that there are G-rated movies that can be enjoyed by more than young children.
I added additional info.
And it wasn't you who said it, it was someone else who said if it was anything more than G rated it wouldn't be allowed.

And there are tons of movies that are cute and that I enjoy that are like finding nemo, but my whole point was not allowing age appropriate things is harmful, but that wasn't directed at you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting