Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2010, 12:54 PM

139 posts, read 25,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
My point is his bedroom is holy ground so does he few theirs in the same way. Ie does he offer them the same respect they offer him. You daughter has broken the rules...and in her case she loses that privilege. But i do believe kids should have the right to some privacy.
I agree that kids/teens should feel they have privacy within their home. It's a matter of how much privacy a parent allows based on trust, and how much trust you have depends on the particular circumstances of the child.

Trust me, I would love to have that level of trust in my household where I didn't have to worry about what my daughter was getting into when I am not present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:55 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Or like to stay up late sometimes?
...and THAT'S why everyone must be in bed by 10, at the latest.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
What if they have a night job? Or like to stay up late sometimes?

I'm assuming the rules are for kids under 18. No kid that young should have a night job. I would not let them stay up past midnight so waking up at 8:30 should not be a problem. I think 6am is too early.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
...and THAT'S why everyone must be in bed by 10, at the latest.

Which when they are young i can agree with but don't you think older teens should get some leeway?

Old 09-18-2010, 01:01 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Boy some of you would HATE my household! There was a game tournament going on in my kitchen until 3am this morning. No problem for me since I went to bed after 1am myself but since nobody has plans today it's not a big deal. This isn't unusual either, we just don't keep those early bird hours. Everyone is over 18 though so I guess that's the kicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I'm assuming the rules are for kids under 18. No kid that young should have a night job. I would not let them stay up past midnight so waking up at 8:30 should not be a problem. I think 6am is too early.

LOL i thought you meant no one ever should sleep past 8:30.

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Call me "Mr. Bad Guy", but me and my wife run a very structured household. The rules at the O'Leary home:
-Loud music goes off and all snacking stops at 9:00, computer and phones are turned off at 9:30
-Everybody is in bed by 10:00
-Wake-up time is at 6:00, for everybody.
-No friends are allowed over unless me or my wife are home.
-My children aren't allowed to leave the neighborhood, unless I know where they're going
-Non-competitive sports (bowling, track, etc.) are HEAVILY encouraged.
-This isn't a restaurant, my kids are expected to eat whatever's being made. No special orders.
-Master bedroom is OFF LIMITS.
-No leaving doors to the outside open.
-When I'm talking to someone, I don't want to be interrupted.

No way could I live there.
I need more than 8 hours of sleep.
I work till 10pm.
If I have to wake up before 10am, I can guarantee that I will be a very unhappy person the rest of the day.
The next two don't apply to me, I'm too old.
What's wrong with competitive sports?? I loved swimming and soccer.
I'm lactose intolerant, allergic to avocados and all types of melons, I have to have a special order.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Boy some of you would HATE my household! There was a game tournament going on in my kitchen until 3am this morning. No problem for me since I went to bed after 1am myself but since nobody has plans today it's not a big deal. This isn't unusual either, we just don't keep those early bird hours. Everyone is over 18 though so I guess that's the kicker.

I would love it .

Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 PM

139 posts, read 25,501 times
Quote:
Which when they are young i can agree with but don't you think older teens should get some leeway?
Totally agree. I would feel like I was in an alternate dimension if teenagers willingly went to bed at 10 pm.

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Who said anything about older teens?
My children are 16 (I'll give you that exception), 13, and 11. I have 2 more that moved out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting