U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:33 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,159,112 times

Advertisements

A jerk, is a jerk, is a jerk; and your son's boss is a jerk. Hope he gets caught. There will be other people in his life that will take advantage if they can. Somehow, I think your son can handle this situation. He sounds very responsible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 10:46 PM

7,698 posts, read 12,868,305 times
I have a very similar situation. Are the laws you listed state or federal laws?? In NC I could only find similar laws for 14 and 15 year olds. My 17 year old worked from 9am til 12 midnight on Sat. urgg!!

I have been pushing for him to find a job , but I meant a few hours on the weekend . Now he got a job that they are scheduling him for
4-5 nights per week. I am letting him work it out right now because
he is only a few weeks away from summer break.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:45 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,122,058 times
With my quick research, it appears federal laws only restrict hours for 14 & 15 year olds like NC's laws.

But the following NC law applies to 16 & 17 year olds:

Quote:
Basic minimum age for employment. Sixteen- and 17-year-olds may be employed in any occupation other than those declared hazardous or detrimental. No youth under 18 years of age who is enrolled in school in grade 12 or lower may be employed between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. when there is school for the youth the next day. Sixteen- and 17-year-old youths may get the hour restriction waived upon written permission from the parent/guardian and from the youth's principal/designee.

http://www.nclabor.com/wh/fact%20she..._state_fed.htm
But everyone is right. It's better for our children to figure this out for themselves. We're lucky that summer is just around the corner. They have time to figure it out before school next year.

It's a frightening thought that they could fail senior year due to working too many hours. Then again, my son has always been a straight A student without effort. How he managed to go to school full time, work 40 hours last week, and ace is finals without studying is beyond me. I could have never done that.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:52 PM

43,012 posts, read 89,122,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
A jerk, is a jerk, is a jerk; and your son's boss is a jerk. Hope he gets caught. There will be other people in his life that will take advantage if they can.
You're absolutely right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Somehow, I think your son can handle this situation. He sounds very responsible.
Thank you for the vote of confidence in him.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:12 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,783,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My son says his manager had been complaining that he had been working for 4 straight days, and my son responded, "Stop whining. This is my 10th straight day in a row." My son guesses that caused the manager to realize why my son keeps trying to talk to him about the schedule.
To be honest, I think it's great your son is learning about jobs and responsibility.

If anything tell him that this is way it's important to go to college or get some kind of job training so that working this kind of job will be temporary.

To me those are the character building jobs, the jobs that teach someone how to work and how to put up with stuff and these jobs can give someone the edge over people who always had it cushy.

My kids sometimes work terrible hours but so did I when I was their age. The good thing is kids often will stay up all night playing video games or they can stay up all night partying so if they're working instead, count your blessings.

The other thing with the unemployment rates high in some places and all the layoffs, it's a good thing for your son that he has a job, is a good worker, has stamina, and isn't a quitter.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:19 AM

9 posts, read 7,650 times
He's less than a year from being a legal adult. I wouldn't bother at this point. If he was 15 or 16, then yah, but 17+...no.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 1,969,899 times
I haven't read the entire thread but responding to the OP...I would give the manager a call. Find out if he's being over scheduled because they are understaffed. If so, how long has this been a problem. Any place of business understaffed in our economy right now would be a red flag for other bigger issues.

It could be as simple as he's really good at what he does. If that's the case, we weary of what they are telling your son. In our town, Best Buy for one is big on telling their really good high schoolers not to go to college because they can make the job a career for them..."Look at me...I'm a 40K manager and it only took me 5 years. I could make this future for you." I know college students who were told, come on in, work here, we'll pay part of your college and you get great full time benefits. Then when it comes down to it, they have to have all but two shifts available a week to be full time and will not work around school, even calling high schoolers to leave school and go to work. They have a rep for that in our area and the kids will be encouraged to go work at the hardware store or walmart to avoid it so the store will be understaffed for a long time. Then they go to recuit the kids from these stores, promising the moon and talking down about where they work. They tried to recuit my sister from her managment position to a lower level position and a couple of her employees and she said if they didn't leave she's call the cops.

As most businesses, encourage your son to call HR. In fact you could. If they are breaking the law, they will be investigated. Then they will keep an eye on the scheduling and often give follow up calls to make sure all is still going well. It's not good for a GM to be getting many of those calls from his employees.

Also, ask your son if he filled out an official availibilty form. If he did, have him get a copy of it from his file. If they won't get that for him, have him ask for another one, fill it out and have a manager sign it. Then have him photocopy it so you have it to fax to the HR department if you need to.

There is always OSHA. If things don't change, then the entire company needs to be looked at. Often with retail, you'll have a company stationed in one state and they expect all the states to go by that states law. Until someone like you calls them, there will never be a change.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:07 PM

2,178 posts, read 8,234,920 times
If it were me what I would do would be to tell them AGAIN, the days I could and could NOT work and tell them very plainly that IF they scheduled me any other times, I will NOT be there, that I am ONLY able to work THOSE days and they are the only scheduled days I will write down and be there...

Worst they could do is fire him and that would be faster than giving notice.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:15 AM

7,698 posts, read 12,868,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
I haven't read the entire thread but responding to the OP...I would give the manager a call. Find out if he's being over scheduled because they are understaffed. If so, how long has this been a problem. Any place of business understaffed in our economy right now would be a red flag for other bigger issues.

It could be as simple as he's really good at what he does. If that's the case, we weary of what they are telling your son. In our town, Best Buy for one is big on telling their really good high schoolers not to go to college because they can make the job a career for them..."Look at me...I'm a 40K manager and it only took me 5 years. I could make this future for you." I know college students who were told, come on in, work here, we'll pay part of your college and you get great full time benefits. Then when it comes down to it, they have to have all but two shifts available a week to be full time and will not work around school, even calling high schoolers to leave school and go to work. They have a rep for that in our area and the kids will be encouraged to go work at the hardware store or walmart to avoid it so the store will be understaffed for a long time. Then they go to recuit the kids from these stores, promising the moon and talking down about where they work. They tried to recuit my sister from her managment position to a lower level position and a couple of her employees and she said if they didn't leave she's call the cops.

As most businesses, encourage your son to call HR. In fact you could. If they are breaking the law, they will be investigated. Then they will keep an eye on the scheduling and often give follow up calls to make sure all is still going well. It's not good for a GM to be getting many of those calls from his employees.

Also, ask your son if he filled out an official availibilty form. If he did, have him get a copy of it from his file. If they won't get that for him, have him ask for another one, fill it out and have a manager sign it. Then have him photocopy it so you have it to fax to the HR department if you need to.

There is always OSHA. If things don't change, then the entire company needs to be looked at. Often with retail, you'll have a company stationed in one state and they expect all the states to go by that states law. Until someone like you calls them, there will never be a change.

Most 17 year olds do not want mommy calling their boss for them.
When he is in college are you going to call his professors to straighten
out any problems.

I gave my son his options about how much work I could allow and what I
would change if his grades dropped. I can't allow him to do poorly in school because of too many hours. But I don't think getting involved at his work is teaching him independence. Now if something harmful,immoral, or illegal was going on I would be their worst nightmare.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:08 AM

758 posts, read 1,597,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Most 17 year olds do not want mommy calling their boss for them.
When he is in college are you going to call his professors to straighten
out any problems.

I gave my son his options about how much work I could allow and what I
would change if his grades dropped. I can't allow him to do poorly in school because of too many hours. But I don't think getting involved at his work is teaching him independence. Now if something harmful,immoral, or illegal was going on I would be their worst nightmare.

I agree it would not look good for the son to have mom calling. I think the OP said she wouldn't anyway. He needs to do this for himself and be firm with the manager or this is how it's going to be until he quits.

He has to realize that he has the power to change things in his life that he doesn't like and he can't wait for someone to do the right thing (manager) because they will keep taking advantage of him, if he lets them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or