U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:44 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Most 17 year olds do not want mommy calling their boss for them.
When he is in college are you going to call his professors to straighten
out any problems.

I gave my son his options about how much work I could allow and what I
would change if his grades dropped. I can't allow him to do poorly in school because of too many hours. But I don't think getting involved at his work is teaching him independence. Now if something harmful,immoral, or illegal was going on I would be their worst nightmare.
Have you talked with college professors lately? There are now parents who do just that. They said they were shocked at first. They'd give out the grades and get someone's mother at their office door demanding something be done about a C grade, angry mothers, concerned mothers calling -- just like you'd expect in elementary school.

Mothers shouldn't interfere with a job, if that child lacks stamina, can't handle the hours, then it has to be the child putting in a two-week notice and finding a part time job or not having a job at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 10:51 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
I agree. It's just downright wrong for parents to get that involved.

I've heard that parents are starting to call their childrens' professors and employers. This is happening wih even grown, adult children who are well into their 20s.

Even though my son is only 17, I would still never call his employer. I was just looking for guidance on how to advise him on how to handle this.

My son is at an age where he needs to learn how to deal wtih these problems so he doesn't need his mother to do it when he's 28 years old.

Goodness. What are those parents thinking!

It's one thing for children to call parents for advice, it's another thing for parents to get actively involved and interfer in their lives.

By the way, my son is doing great. He was able to resolve this with his boss. He's loving his job again!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 7,831,821 times
I'm glad he was able to work it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or