Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:11 PM

54 posts, read 66,520 times

Advertisements

Ok I've noticed another thing my mom does that bothers me and by bothers I mean it gets me thinking if its normal or healthy at all.

My mom is constantly asking us [my brother and I] what we are doing and where we are going...in our own home. Ex: I can walk up the stairs and she'll ask where I'm going. Basically anywhere and everywhere my brother and I go in the house she'll be like "where are you going?" I find this awkward because i've had millions of friends in my almost 20 years of life and no one elses parents have been like this.

Its like she is always right there around us in the house.

When my brother has friends spend the night she pesters them. Always checking up, walking by his room making comments.

I know if I don't like the things she does then I can leave but my brother can't so while I am here I would like to get her to a more normal point so when I leave he isn't dealing with her alone.

Does anyone know how to handle this?
Or have any tips to use to get her to stop acting like that at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 04:14 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
I have no advice for you other than ask your mother why she does it.
My 4yo does it to me and it drives me up the wall, I can't imagine having a parent do it.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM

Its weird and I hate having to explain every single one of my actions atleast 50 times a day.
What kills me is when she ask me why.
Where are you going?....My room...Why?...

Most the time I am busy and in the middle of something and I just want to get it done and I keep getting interupted every 5 seconds.

Usually my response is "im just..geh..*sighs*..hold on"

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Who knows why she does this - I agree it is weird. Here are some of the possible reasons:

She is bored and lonesome and wants to start a conversation but doesn't really know what to say to you.

You and/or your brother have done something in the past to make her not trust you so she thinks you might be up to no good.

It is a verbal bad habit and she doesn't even realize that she does this.

I would try to talk to her about the situation. The conversation could go something like this:

You: Mom, I feel a bit annoyed when you ask me where I'm going everytime I leave the room. It makes me feel like you are invading my privacy or checking up on me.

Mom: Oh, honey. I had no idea that I did that.

You: That's OK Mom - from now on when you do it, I'll point it out and we can laugh about it, but I'm still not going to answer you. I bet you'll quit asking all the time!

Again - I agree. Strange.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,082,946 times
Next time say.."I'm going to the other side of the room...wanna go with me?"

Old 05-27-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Who knows why she does this - I agree it is weird. Here are some of the possible reasons:

She is bored and lonesome and wants to start a conversation but doesn't really know what to say to you.

You and/or your brother have done something in the past to make her not trust you so she thinks you might be up to no good.

It is a verbal bad habit and she doesn't even realize that she does this.

I would try to talk to her about the situation. The conversation could go something like this:

You: Mom, I feel a bit annoyed when you ask me where I'm going everytime I leave the room. It makes me feel like you are invading my privacy or checking up on me.

Mom: Oh, honey. I had no idea that I did that.

You: That's OK Mom - from now on when you do it, I'll point it out and we can laugh about it, but I'm still not going to answer you. I bet you'll quit asking all the time!

Again - I agree. Strange.
Neither my brother or I have gotten into drugs. Neither of us have snuck out or gotten in serious trouble. We are both explorers with the police department.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Does she have any friends? Where is your father?
She sounds very needy.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Last I heard, you were an adult living rent free in your mother's home. She may be quirky etc. but you have the option of getting a job and moving out. Will it be easy or convenient or as cheap as living at home? I doubt it. I'm sure there are things you do that she finds annoying/irritating also (perhaps staying up all night and sleeping all day??). Sounds like you both have too much time on your hands.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Like I said. I know I have that option but my brother doesn't. He turns 15 in July and still has quite a bit to go.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
There is not a person on the face of the earth that does not have annoying habits. You learn to live with them or not. She appears to be odd, not abusive. If it turns out to be too much for your brother, he can always move in with you. It sounds like you have survived to adulthood despite your mother's quirks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting