Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:08 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,939,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Yeah, we have similar rules here.

Rule #1 If you want to talk to me (or DH) come to the same room.

Rule #2 If I (or DH) want to talk to you, get your fanny in here so I don't have to shout across the house.

It works for me.
It's like we're TWINS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM

17 posts, read 25,440 times
Quote:

Rule #2 If I (or DH) want to talk to you, get your fanny in here so I don't have to shout across the house.

It works for me.
That's the way it was when I was growing up, as well. If a parent called your name, you never hollered back "What!?", you went to them and found out what they wanted. If you wanted to say something to a parent/elder, you went to them and spoke respectfully. And "Just a minute!" was NEVER a proper response, either.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:23 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
If I call out someone's name in my house it is our rule that they must appear. If there is some reason they cannot, they can say "Coming" or "I will be right there"..but if it is Be right there they better be in the restroom or otherwise occupied. Not just on the computer playing solitaire.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:42 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,735,893 times
No, we don't have that rule here but I hate it too. I hate when someone is trying to communicate with me from another room. I can never hear them either and end up going to them to see what they are yelling about. My husband and daughter are the one's that do this the most in my house and it drives me absolutely crazy. I should make this a rule!

Old 06-01-2009, 11:32 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,209 times
It sounds like a good rule to institute with my DH who has a annoying habit to talk to me from another room or worse another floor.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:

It works for me.
Same here

I'm the adult. You do as I say. I'm the one paying for the house as well. I might have my hands full and multi-tasking (don't all moms ) and I can not "come to you". As the child you are not busy keeping house or cooking dinner, most likely. So if you hear me call your name........ COME!!! Do NOT yell at me for ANYTHING. Unless there is an emergency then when you do need to "yell" for me I KNOW it is very important. Otherwise, come to me and speak respectfully. No questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappednHades View Post
And I am going over to my friends house today to help her clean out her parents basement, they are putting in a kitchen and bathroom for us and no rules,well for me atleast, idk what rules she'll still have.
Um, if your going to be living under THEIR roof then you SHOULD abide by their rules no matter what. Unless your paying rent and buying your own groceries it is their house to institute rules that even you as a NON-family member should abide by. I'd say even more so than their own family member. Your a GUEST in THEIR HOME! Act like one and that means showing the upmost respect and NOT yelling at them, being respectful of their rules, etc. Like I said, unless your paying rent and buying your own groceries and preparing your own meals...... you best behave better than their own child. And that includes if they say be in by a certain time every night as someone coming in late could disturb their sleep they NEED in order to work to provide this "sanctuary" away from rules for YOU.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Um, if your going to be living under THEIR roof then you SHOULD abide by their rules no matter what. Unless your paying rent and buying your own groceries it is their house to institute rules that even you as a NON-family member should abide by. I'd say even more so than their own family member. Your a GUEST in THEIR HOME! Act like one and that means showing the upmost respect and NOT yelling at them, being respectful of their rules, etc. Like I said, unless your paying rent and buying your own groceries and preparing your own meals...... you best behave better than their own child. And that includes if they say be in by a certain time every night as someone coming in late could disturb their sleep they NEED in order to work to provide this "sanctuary" away from rules for YOU.
Quoted for truth. I was thinking the same thing.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:57 PM

836 posts, read 3,382,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappednHades View Post
My mom has this "don't yell at me/talk to me from another room" rule.

I follow it pretty well because I can't hear her well enough to do so. If I want to talk to her i'll go to wherever she is or ill text her(if it's not important enough to get up but still of enough importance to ask)

Yet she thinks its completely appropriate to try to talk to me from another room. And then gets pissed at me when I can't hear her and refuse to answer to incoherent yelling that was just directed at me.
She tells me that she grew up going to concerts with friends, therefore her hearing is shot..well I grew up in the headphones/concert era and therefore I think my hearing sucks as well.
She thinks I should be able to hear her. I can't and idk how to get that across to her.

1. Do you have this rule in your house?
2. How do I make her stop trying to talk to me from another room?
I was reading through all of what everyone said on this post and it looks to me like your trying to find away to explain to your Mom that you can't hear her when she yells at you from a different area of the house and seems like everyone here is bashing you for your question or taking offense of it, I'm not sure.
I don't have this rule in my house because I catch myself yelling across the house to my kids. My kids are 20, 17, 17 and 10. And there has been lots of yelling over the years.
Mom's will be Mom's, there isn't anything you can do except explain to her that you can't understand her when she yells at you from another room...maybe try telling her instead of yelling from across the house to text you instead (since you say you text her sometimes),.. there are ways of working these things out, although some old habits are hard to break. If she makes the rule she should abide by it too that is showing that she respects the rules, as you are trying to respect the rules. Have principles and moral standards that you live by consistently, and teach by example. <<This should be applied by every parent. Allot of parents think it is my house I pay the bills and I make the rules..blah, then when it comes to these rules they do the complete opposite I try not to do that to my kids. If my rule is no running in the house.. then I go running through the house well the rule has been broken. If my rule is take your dishes to the kitchen when done and I leave mine laying around that is breaking the rules..If my rule was No yelling in the house from another room or floor and I yell from the top floor well I just broke the rules.. If I tell you to keep room cleaned and don't clean the house well that is another rule broken.. you show you respect to your children by abiding by the rules too, Not as you want to and they are the only ones who should abide by these rules. I think everyone gets the point.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:27 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
seems like everyone here is bashing you for your question or taking offense of it, I'm not sure.
She has other threads relating to her mom. She had a thread about bedtime and after everyone told her that she should respect her mother's rules she turned around and told off her mom and thanked us all for our help.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM

540 posts, read 1,329,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
This thread wont end well...
I opened the forum and up popped this thread, and I have to agree with you

The screen name alone says a lot about attitude.

I'm willing to bet, that in a few years looking back, Hades will start to look like Heaven
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting