U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 07:28 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,635,104 times

Advertisements

Keegan for a boy. I have no ideas for a girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM

6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I've had the same thing happen to me. I'm black with a very common Caucasian sounding name. I always see the look of shock when I show up instead of a perky blond. I'm sure that there have been times when my application or resume have made it through the pile of Shaniquas and LaKeishas, until I show up just as black as Shaniqua and LaKeisha. Then what happens? They move on to a Susan or Katie that actually looks like a Susan or Katie. Having a white sounding name does no good if you're not white, and all it really does is take away from your true heritage and culture. When I had a daughter, I went out of my way to name her an African name for that very reason. If someone passes over her resume because of her name and not her qualifications, then she doesn't need to work there anyway.
Hmm, I guess I'm fortunate enough that my first name is so racially/ethnically ambiguous. It's not a common first name, but the few people I met with my name or some close variation of it have all been of different races/ethnicity: Indian, Korean, Chinese, Ethiopian, French/German, and Eastern European (Bulgaria?? Can't remember). My first name gives you no clue as to what race or ethnicity I may be, which I like because there are zero preconceived notions regarding it.

My last name is almost as ambiguous. I'm of Haitian descent so I have a French last name (I'm sure it would rank high in a list of the top 10 most common French last names). French names aren't limited to any single race or ethnicity so it would hard to tell from my last name if I was black, white, or whatever.

Personally, I like the ambiguity and like to keep people guessing. I love thinking of what sort of last name a future husband could have that would completely confuse people when they see me. Either something Asian or Polish . I wouldn't hesitate to take my hubby's last name if it was something like Petrov or Murakami and see the look on people's faces when a black chick comes in. Keep them on their toes

Old 12-01-2012, 02:09 PM

862 posts, read 1,167,507 times
...sexy?

Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM

121 posts, read 303,338 times
Unfortunatly, naming you childeren with "ghetto names" automatically labels them with speaking "ebonics" and broken English and being "uneducated". The Black community needs to wake up and realize that the "Africaner or the in your face, black and accept it, I am going to live as a n*****/thug and you have to accept it" in America isn't going to work. The names do not equate to being educated unless, the voice coming across over the phone sounds educated. The names might as well be some Indian name in a call center that does not understand English. Foriegn languages come from outside the United States, Not from within.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,966,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
Unfortunatly, naming you childeren with "ghetto names" automatically labels them with speaking "ebonics" and broken English and being "uneducated". The Black community needs to wake up and realize that the "Africaner or the in your face, black and accept it, I am going to live as a n*****/thug and you have to accept it" in America isn't going to work. The names do not equate to being educated unless, the voice coming across over the phone sounds educated. The names might as well be some Indian name in a call center that does not understand English. Foriegn languages come from outside the United States, Not from within.
This is just the type of ignorance we DON'T have to accept. I will not allow anyone else to dictact to me what I MUST and SHOULD name my child, and neither should anyone else. If you feel like a name defines someone's education, or means that someone is a thug, that's your very own stupidity. And since the United States is full of immigrants from many different countries, ask yourself why African names are the only ones that carry any kind of label. Your answer will tell you about your own ignorance and racism. We are in this country, American citizenship more than earned, and if you don't like us, our names, or anything else about it, that's your damn problem....not mine, and not any other black person in this country.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:20 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,430,996 times
Race issues aside, anyone with silly spellings or "unique" names, I'll fully admit, I assume they are stupid until proven otherwise. If their parents were that stupid to name their kid with a "unique" spelling for a common name, I assume that they probably were not smart enough to help their kid with school work. So far, I've not been wrong.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 AM

84,958 posts, read 98,776,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Race issues aside, anyone with silly spellings or "unique" names, I'll fully admit, I assume they are stupid until proven otherwise. If their parents were that stupid to name their kid with a "unique" spelling for a common name, I assume that they probably were not smart enough to help their kid with school work. So far, I've not been wrong.
I've certainly not had that experience. I work in pediatrics, and I have seen some real messed up spellings and such, and this from a fairly affluent base. For example, I have seen numerous spellings of "Michaela", and its derivative, Kayla, also, for boys, numerous variations on spelling of these ubiquitous Aiden, Braden, Cadens. There are some that I think are "wrong", but that's just me, and I sure don't hold it against the kids.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,319,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I named her a name that reflects her heritage.
Good for you. I love ethnic names.

Should someone hear a name and decide, on the name alone, that the person bearing it is ghetto (or barrio or peasant) that says a heck of a lot more about that person then it does about the person who has the name.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:50 AM

12,421 posts, read 2,788,708 times
Sorry, OP, I don't like any of your name choices. Someone did mention Tristan, however. I like that. And I agree with your later post....sexy is not the correct word.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM

2,763 posts, read 4,430,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've certainly not had that experience. I work in pediatrics, and I have seen some real messed up spellings and such, and this from a fairly affluent base. For example, I have seen numerous spellings of "Michaela", and its derivative, Kayla, also, for boys, numerous variations on spelling of these ubiquitous Aiden, Braden, Cadens. There are some that I think are "wrong", but that's just me, and I sure don't hold it against the kids.
Sorry, I guess what i said didnt come across right. I dont hold it against the kids, i mean grown adults with silly spelled names, they are the ones I assume tend to be not as intelligent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting