U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM

283 posts, read 643,115 times

Advertisements

I was always told to take a unique first name and pair it with a more formal middle name (or vice versa). That way if the child really hates their first name, or goes into a business situation where a more "formal" name like Joseph would be an asset, they can always use it instead. So, if you named your son Phoenix Joseph, he could be P. Joseph Smith, MD.

My kids all have boring, "white" names (Hannah Ruth, Calvin Riley, Isabella Rose, Zachary Ryan) but we did contemplate naming our youngest Cosmo James. That way C.J. was a cute kids name, Cosmo was one that he could enjoy in high school as the "weird kid", and James could take him into adulthood. (He is probably already thankful we ended up with Zach!)
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:01 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,019,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
I was always told to take a unique first name and pair it with a more formal middle name (or vice versa). That way if the child really hates their first name, or goes into a business situation where a more "formal" name like Joseph would be an asset, they can always use it instead. So, if you named your son Phoenix Joseph, he could be P. Joseph Smith, MD.
That's a good point. A friend of mine just graduated law school and was worried about the professionalism of her name. It's very girly name, almost a little-girl name, and she worried that her name would give her a disadvantage. Her middle name is Jean, though, and her last name is very traditional. Jean _________, Esq., is very respectable, so she's going to use her middle name when she is established as an attorney.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:08 AM

6,262 posts, read 16,975,290 times
my favorite names:

BOY-

Ethan
Aiden
Justin
Jacob
Jonah
Levi

Girls

Emma
Hannah
Katie
Gretchen
Olivia
Kelsey
Phoebe
Deidre

Old 05-29-2009, 10:10 AM

758 posts, read 1,596,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Thanks! And may I ask why you dont like the names? Are they "too out there" like Sarah Palin's kids or are they too boring?

What girl named so you like?

Chelsea is overused and my daughter has a friend with that name, I don't like her much so that colors my opinion of that name.

Kate and Katie make me think of Katie Holmes and her whole saga.

And the others are too out there for me.

As for girls names that I like...Lacey, would have been my name for a girl if I had another one (instead 3 boys!). I'm not sure if that would play out well as an adult though. I also like Felicia and Gabrielle. For a boy I also like the name Kieran and Rylan (Irish names if it matters).

Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,076,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post

My kids all have boring, "white" names (Hannah Ruth, Calvin Riley, Isabella Rose, Zachary Ryan) but we did contemplate naming our youngest Cosmo James. That way C.J. was a cute kids name, Cosmo was one that he could enjoy in high school as the "weird kid", and James could take him into adulthood. (He is probably already thankful we ended up with Zach!)
This is excellent advice. That's the reason I was suggesting she get other ideas instead of matching the names on the list together.

The same applies with picking a normal name for it's nickname. The child can resort to the proper name if the nickname is too childish for adulthood. I like the nickname Alex for a girl. If I had a girl, I would have named her officially Alexis so she would have a more formal name, and I would have used Alex as the nickname.

Phoenix becomes more appealing when matched with Joseph. Good match!

As for the poster who made the stripper comment, I have to agree. Phoenix is best left for a boy name.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:15 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,860,659 times
Boys:

Jordan - too common nowadays
Allistair - don't have an opinion. How will the kids shorten it, Allie? Stair?
Theo - is that a full name, not Theodor?
Phoenix - love it.

Girls:

Pilar - like "pillar", the building column
Falon - do you mean, Fallon? (as in Jimmy Fallon?) -- too close to fallopian tubes, and some sexual activities. Will be teased mercilessly.
Kate, Katie, Chelsea - boring
Chanel - maybe. Or maybe Coco, or Paris.

Suggestions: River, Silver, Sterling, Oscar, Ruby, Pearl.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:41 AM

QUOTE=nuala;9038595]Girls:

Falon - do you mean, Fallon? (as in Jimmy Fallon?) -- too close to fallopian tubes, and some sexual activities. Will be teased mercilessly totally agree ]Kate, Katie, Chelsea - boring disagree
Chanel - maybe. Or maybe Coco, or Paris. Oh Gawd no-please!!!!
Suggestions: River, Silver, Sterling, Oscar, Ruby, Pearl not to be rude.....but just yuck. I wouldn't stick a child with any of those names. But then you may not like the ones I like

Old 05-29-2009, 10:48 AM

4,218 posts, read 7,860,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
QUOTE=nuala;9038595]Girls:

Falon - do you mean, Fallon? (as in Jimmy Fallon?) -- too close to fallopian tubes, and some sexual activities. Will be teased mercilessly totally agree ]Kate, Katie, Chelsea - boring disagree
Chanel - maybe. Or maybe Coco, or Paris. Oh Gawd no-please!!!!
Suggestions: River, Silver, Sterling, Oscar, Ruby, Pearl not to be rude.....but just yuck. I wouldn't stick a child with any of those names. But then you may not like the ones I like
yes, I find the names you suggested, too well-used... That's OK to like different names

Old 05-29-2009, 10:49 AM

fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
yes, I find the names you suggested, too well-used... That's OK to like different names

Old 05-29-2009, 10:56 AM

42,668 posts, read 71,638,476 times
You do not name babies. You name human beings who will have that name for 80 or 90 years. Names mean a lot. However unjustified, people judge another in part by their name. Give a name that will command respect and dignity.

Ila. I had an uncle who died about the time I was born, and my parents, for a few years, would pay a call to his widow from time to time, until I was about 6. My recollection of her was that my parents deeply admired her, and that she must have been the most wonderful and beautiful woman in the world, with a name to match. I've always hoped that if I told this to enough people, somebody would honor her by naming a daughter after her. Her name was Ila, pronounced with a long-I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting