U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 12:00 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,842,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
When impoverished, uneducated parents are naming their children Mercedes in an area of the country that does not have spanish speaking residents, they are naming the children after the car. People are even naming their children Lexus these days. I'm surprised you aren't aware of the tacky trend to name children after expensive things.
Where do you live? I thought they were Spanish speakers everywhere.

Mercedes is still a nice name regardless of why it is chosen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:06 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,033,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Where do you live?
Pittsburgh

Quote:
I thought they were Spanish speakers everywhere.
You thought wrong. Pittsburgh mostly attracts educated immigrants, not labor immigrants.

The Pittsburgh metropolitian area's hispanic population is near 1% where as Sacramento's is near 16%. The hispanics who come to Pittsburgh aren't usually first generation unskilled working Spanish speaking immigrants. Pittsburgh doesn't have a demand for unskilled workers. Unskilled immigrants prefer to go where there is work for them.

Quote:
I disagree. While there might be some people who speak Spanish in Pittsburgh, the people who are chosing Mercedes aren't Spanish speaking. They are naming their children after the car---just like the names Lexus, Tiffany, Chanel are all named after brand names. It's the strangest trend in naming babies in my opinion.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM

1,891 posts, read 5,149,899 times
Quote:
Where do you live? I thought they were Spanish speakers everywhere.

Not a whole lot of Spanish-speaking population in Maine.

I do like the name Mercedes, but I agree that I would not use it because it has been taken over by the parents who associate it (only) with the luxury car, and know nothing about it's origins or history as a given name. If I knew a Mercedes here, I would mostly expect her to have a sister named Lexus or Porshe.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,735,850 times
I live in Arizona (LOTS of spanish speakers here) and I have never met anyone named Mercedes.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 20,983 times
How about Leavitt or Gage or Drake

Old 05-30-2009, 10:31 AM

433 posts, read 1,539,478 times
Whateve you name your child just remember that child will go to school someday and will grow up to be an adult. Can you imagine if your boy were to grow up to be a pro sports player or body builder and is named Alistair?

I understand wanting something different but your kid won't care. When they are children and they have some "unique" name they won't like not being able to find their name on the rack of the personalized items. They won't like that the kids tease them and they won't like that their name often gets misspelled because people aren't used to the name.

Just keep these things in mind for the sake of your child. Someday your child is going to be out on their own and you may no longer be around but they are going to have to live with a name the may not like and didn't choose.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,234,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilrmkr View Post
Whateve you name your child just remember that child will go to school someday and will grow up to be an adult. Can you imagine if your boy were to grow up to be a pro sports player or body builder and is named Alistair?

Yes. I can imagine it.
A lot of college and pro-athletes have unusual, rather effete names.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:19 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,791,882 times
Wow, I've never seen the word "sexy" and "baby name" all in the same sentence before...it's quite disturbing!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:51 PM

363 posts, read 1,003,357 times
Quote:
Wow, I've never seen the word "sexy" and "baby name" all in the same sentence before...it's quite disturbing!
I am glad you think so too...I was beginning to think that no one else thought that this was odd. She wants a name that translates easily from the boardroom to the bedroom???? I have never heard of a mother worrying about such a thing. Worrying about having a healthy and happy baby - yes... worrying about their future sex life - no.

Old 05-30-2009, 01:28 PM

61 posts, read 152,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
I am glad you think so too...I was beginning to think that no one else thought that this was odd. She wants a name that translates easily from the boardroom to the bedroom???? I have never heard of a mother worrying about such a thing. Worrying about having a healthy and happy baby - yes... worrying about their future sex life - no.
Under normal circumstances, my baby should grow from baby to full grown man/woman & I want a name that will be a useful tool not a hindrance for my child's development in all aspects of their lives. Now what's wrong with that?

And yes, I just dont want a cutesy baby name that has no tomorrow eg Pippi or Lala etc but a name that exudes intelligence, beauty etc when they are an adult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting