Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 02:05 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Under normal circumstances, my baby should grow from baby to full grown man/woman & I want a name that will be a useful tool not a hindrance for my child's development in all aspects of their lives. Now what's wrong with that?

And yes, I just dont want a cutesy baby name that has no tomorrow eg Pippi or Lala etc but a name that exudes intelligence, beauty etc when they are an adult.
What's wrong with Pippi and Lala? All the Pippis and Lalas I know are all beautiful and intelligent

There's is nothing wrong at all with picking a name that "exudes intelligence, beauty, etc" but thinking about a sexy name just sounds strange, like I said, I've never heard it worded quite like that before.
I've named 4 babys and never once was sexy a requirement. But to each his own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
What's wrong with Pippi and Lala? All the Pippis and Lalas I know are all beautiful and intelligent

There's is nothing wrong at all with picking a name that "exudes intelligence, beauty, etc" but thinking about a sexy name just sounds strange, like I said, I've never heard it worded quite like that before.

Some people use the word "sexy" to mean "compelling".
Haven't you ever heard of a "sexy" news story? A sexy car?
That doesn't mean it's about sex or has anything to do with sex. It means it's flashy and attention-getting.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:00 PM

363 posts, read 1,146,342 times
Quote:
Some people use the word "sexy" to mean "compelling".
Haven't you ever heard of a "sexy" news story? A sexy car?
That doesn't mean it's about sex or has anything to do with sex. It means it's flashy and attention-getting.
I totally get that but that is not what she said....she used a reference to the bedroom which brings up certain conotations that don't involve sleeping.

Quote:
so i want a name that enables a child to move from boardroom to bedroom without any hiccups.
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823

Exactly.... a name that exudes "intellligence, beauty etc" is a good thing.

Good luck in finding that perfect name. It is not an easy decision. The good news is that after they are born, babies typically grow into their names and you will get to the point where you could not imagine them named anything else.

Last edited by Maybe So; 05-30-2009 at 04:09 PM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP wanting to pick a name that enables her child to move from the boardroom to the bedroom. There's nothing wrong with a mother hoping her child grows up to have a healthy sexuality.

Many people are too hung up on sex like it's a bad thing. Parents raise women who get married and hate sex and think it's dirty. I know women like this. It comes from being taught it's bad, dirty and not something women want to do. There truly are parents who teach that.

When I read people in this thread being so SHOCKED that this woman wants her daughter to be empowered by her sexuality, I'm thinking they are the type of people who view sex as taboo. How dare someone accuse the OP of not worrying about her baby being born healthy. It's possible to hope for that and more.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
I totally get that but that is not what she said....she used a reference to the bedroom which brings up certain conotations that don't involve sleeping.

Exactly.... a name that exudes "intellligence, beauty etc" is a good thing.

Good luck in finding that perfect name. It is not an easy decision. The good news is that after they are born, babies typically grow into their names and you will get to the point where you could not imagine them named anything else.
I know, my kids are totally their names and there's no way they could be any other name!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Sexy for a baby? Ew gross.

When naming my kids, I went for more classic and refined names.

But from your list, I like Fallon and Allistair. Actually, I LOVE both those names!

Old 05-30-2009, 06:59 PM

756 posts, read 2,219,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with the OP wanting to pick a name that enables her child to move from the boardroom to the bedroom. There's nothing wrong with a mother hoping her child grows up to have a healthy sexuality.

Many people are too hung up on sex like it's a bad thing. Parents raise women who get married and hate sex and think it's dirty. I know women like this. It comes from being taught it's bad, dirty and not something women want to do. There truly are parents who teach that.

When I read people in this thread being so SHOCKED that this woman wants her daughter to be empowered by her sexuality, I'm thinking they are the type of people who view sex as taboo. How dare someone accuse the OP of not worrying about her baby being born healthy. It's possible to hope for that and more.
Sorry, but to me, talking about babies and sexy equals a pedophile.

So, no definately, NOT appropriate.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpowa2 View Post

It can't be any worse than this trend- which I began to notice about five years ago- of young parents referring to their children as "mama" or "daddy".

Have any of you heard this?

"Aw, what's wrong, mama? Did you fall down and get hurt?"
"Come here, daddy, let me tie your shoes."

Like that. Makes me want to vomit.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpowa2 View Post

It's not appropriate to think of the adult future? Babies don't stay babies forever.

You guys are getting too caught up in the word sexy and completely missing that the OP is considering when her daughter becomes an adult.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It can't be any worse than this trend- which I began to notice about five years ago- of young parents referring to their children as "mama" or "daddy".

Have any of you heard this?

"Aw, what's wrong, mama? Did you fall down and get hurt?"
"Come here, daddy, let me tie your shoes."

Like that. Makes me want to vomit.
I have NEVER heard of that. It is strange!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting