Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,316,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It can't be any worse than this trend- which I began to notice about five years ago- of young parents referring to their children as "mama" or "daddy".

Have any of you heard this?

"Aw, what's wrong, mama? Did you fall down and get hurt?"
"Come here, daddy, let me tie your shoes."

Like that. Makes me want to vomit.
I call my goddaughter "mama" all the time. But for me it's an abbreviated version of hot mama cause when she first started walking she used to wiggle her hips like crazy. I never called my son daddy though - I used to call him "mama's baby" a lot until his dad said "he has a name - use it" now i call him sweetpea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerpowa2 View Post
Have you had a baby?

No, the last thing you are thinking about when pregnant is your baby girl growing up and become sexually active. Are you nuts?
Heck, some of us, can't think about it when our daughters are teens.
LOL when my girlfriend was pregnant she was trying to combine her name and her husbands name to make a super name. When she presented them to us there was this moment of silence and another girlfriend says "can you imagine trying to say that in bed? He'd be done before you finished saying his name."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikongirl24 View Post
If I am ever blessed with a girl, we already know she will be named Lucille, it's classic and lovely. Plus, we can call her "Lucy".
Please don't do that to her. It's my middle name. It's aweful.

Have you ever seen the baby name site where people who have the names share how they feel about their names?

Lucille/Lucy gets the least favorable ratings from people named Lucille.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
When she presented them to us there was this moment of silence and another girlfriend says "can you imagine trying to say that in bed? He'd be done before you finished saying his name."
Funny! See! It's important to think of the future!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,730,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It started in the hispanic community (and no, I am not dissing latinos. I have more hispanic friends and family members than white), but then it crossed over into the mainstream.
I think it is more of a Mexican thing. I am Hispanic and so is my dh and we never say it.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,137,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
A variation of Kate or Katie that I like is Katelyn, or Caitlyn.

If you do the Katelyn route (no matter what the spelling), there will be at least 1 more girl in your kid's class with the same name. She will be forever known as Kaitlyn "S" or "T" or whatever your last name is. It's weird to hear my daughter spot a friend at Target and say, "Hi Faith K."

Old 05-30-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I like the name Griffin for a boy, it has a good ring to it and is not too strange.
We didn't have a boy, but we had the names Griffin or Bennet reserved. Bennet was going to be named after Jane Austen's Elizabeth Bennet. We would have called him Ben. I suppose we could have spelled it with 2 T's but I was trying to stay true to the book. My daughter's middle names are Elizabeth and Jane. I have loved that book forever so I wasn't going along with the new Jane Austen craze.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:21 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,334,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
Not sure if its a boy or girl. I read a thread here about white people giving their kids "boring" names. While the Johns & Josephs are classic, I consider them too "boring". No offense to anyone.

On the other hand, I do not want an over the top name like "Shaniqua" aka ghetto names.

I have narrowed it down to the following: BOY NAMES:
Phoenix ( We do NOT live in Phoenx Arizona),its a greek mythology name-bird that sets itself on fire & rises from the ashes
Theo
Allistair
Jordan

Girl
Chelsea( not sure which spelling to take, Chelsey etc?)
Kate
Katie
Chanel
Pilar
Fallon
Phoenix

Thoughts? Please?

Thanks!
My name is Jane...and I have been told by many many men that this name is very arousing. It's so classic, yet so simple and so rare nowdays, that it turns them on... Sorry for such details...just wanted to share...
The point is....refrain from calling your daughter this name. lol.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe So View Post
Check out Forbes Magazine if you want boardroom names. You will have to get the sexy names from others....I went the classic route with my kids names. I was not concerned with the "sexiness" of their names.
My daughter loves horses and there was a free equestrian jumping event near our house that we went to a few months ago. Want to know what rich people name their kids? Trust me when I say there wasn't a "Phoenix" or a "Shaniqua" in the group. There were lots of Katherines (different spellings), Rachel's, a few Georgia's, and Susan's. Rich people who can afford equestrian events understand that your kid will grow into their personality on their own but you don't start them out by handicapping them with some stupid name that no one in the corporate world will take seriously. Someone named Shaniqua (often with an apostrophe) is not going to walk into a boardroom full of 50 year old men named Michael and Christopher and be taken seriously. Trying to be unique often makes you as a parent look trashy and immature and gives your kid a big hurdle to jump. A name like "Phoenix" or "Chanel" makes me think that their parents are likely the ones with the "tramp stamp" tattoo with their kids names scrawled across their lower back.

Judgemental? Sure, but your kid's name will be theirs forever. They may decide to be a hairdresser or a mechanic or they may try to run a Fortune 500 company.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
My name is Jane...and I have been told by many many men that this name is very arousing. It's so classic, yet so simple and so rare nowdays, that it turns them on... Sorry for such details...just wanted to share...

Plus, I love the little girl's name, Janey or Janie. Very cute but can switch to a grown up name when they start shopping in the teenager section!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,334,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Plus, I love the little girl's name, Janey or Janie. Very cute but can switch to a grown up name when they start shopping in the teenager section!
That's true, my close friends call me Janie...at work Jane, I think it's a great name...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting