Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 11:13 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Yep it is! I got the Shai part from an old R&B group from the 90's. I like the name Sheridan to but I hate the nickname Sheri
You could always give her a different nickname. Most likely kids would probably end up calling her Sher/Cher for short anyways. Same with Cheyenne, she'd probably be called Shy. It seems that kids don't go past the first few letters of a kid's name when they call out to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 11:19 AM

821 posts, read 2,038,080 times
I Like Phoenix for a girl very pretty and diffrent

I like Jordon for a boy...

let us know what you decide

Old 06-01-2009, 04:03 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,399 times
[quote=natalayjones;9067689]
If a teacher is giving preferential treatment to someone with a "classic" name over someone she deems to have a "ghetto" name than they should lose their license.

With as blended as America is these days names come from everywhere.

I would think by the time someone achieves the status of CEO they would have learned to looker deeper than something as superficial as a name. [quote]

You're absolutely right and in a perfect world, your kid would always receive the benefit of the doubt. It's not a perfect world. Naming your child something that truly means something (either by language origin or a family name) is totally different than trying your best to handicap your child with some stupid name you probably made up when you were either drunk and/or high on something. Or worse, finding a common name and screwing it up with a dumb spelling (Tina or Teenah, Jennifer or Jeniphur) that he/she will always have mispelled on everything from school records, yearbooks, college entrance letters, wedding invitations, the list goes on.

You're right...America is a melting pot. My daughter has quite a few friends with names that come from their family's place of origin...India, Morocco, Zaire, even the Ukraine. They are great and when you meet them, their name fits them perfectly and they can usually tell you what their name means. Sanjana, for example, is Indian for "Sun", Malak is Moroccan for "Angel".

Why not just chose a name for your child that means something to you? My oldest daughter is named after the country I was visiting when I realized I was pregnant. Her middle name is a Jane Austen heroine. If you can't come up with something, think of some names that are common but perhaps you haven't heard in a while. You don't have to fall in with the "Top 20 Baby Names" lemmings, but let your child develop their own personality and grow into who they are going to be without trying to first jump a hurdle of a dumb name.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:40 PM

I had some time to look over the baby books I made for my kids and had written down some names we liked (but didn't ultimately chose).

Girl Names:

Francesca - named after my favorite teacher that I had during my study abroad year in Italy. We would have nicknamed her "Frankie". My teacher was called "Fran" by her friends. She was the most glamorous woman I have ever seen and her knowledge of Italian history and art was amazing. She died a few years ago from breast cancer but I think of her all the time. We didn't chose the name because it didn't go with our last name.

Kendall - I suppose it could be for a girl or a boy.
Delaney - my grandmother's maiden name
Devin - also could be for a girl or boy

Boy Names:

Bennet (or with 2 Ts) - after Jane Bennet in Pride and Prejudice. Call him "Ben".

Jonah or Micah - just names I liked from the bible.
Lucas or Luke - same...from the bible.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:03 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,690 times
A "sexy" name for your child is just wrong. Please don't make babies if you aren't mature enough or financially secure enough.

A "cool" name doesn't equate to a "Cool Kid". In fact, it usually reveals free-range parents dropping cage-free children into our society. You don't have a mullet or tramp-stamp do you?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:18 PM

61 posts, read 166,883 times
Ok, just found out its a girl. I have a sea-saw relationship with my own mother so I'm really scared to raise a girl. I'm afraid I might be as toxic to a girl as my own mother was to me.

But on the other hand, maybe its my chance to have with her what I never had with my own mother.

So I'm looking at girl's names only at this time.

I'm leaning towards Katelyn/ Catelyn? How do you spell this name? Whats the "standard" spelling? I dont want her to have to spell it over the phone?

Also, I come from a long line of Marys, Jennifers, Janes etc but I wanted something less "plain" but still a "white" name. Is Katelyn trully a "white" name?

Maybe Katelyn-Chealsea?

I like Katie but I figure Katelyn could be shortened to Katie!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:34 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,861,298 times
Caitlyn can be spelled about a thousand ways and she will have to spell it her whole life. Whatever, I like the name, it's cute. My name is Sandy and I always say Sandy with a Y. Congrats on a girl, girls are great and I wouldn't trade mine in for anything. You don't have to repeat your relationship with your mother. It will be what you make it, but great news on a girl!!

Old 06-02-2009, 05:06 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
The more popular spelling is Kaitlyn according to Social Security Names for the year 2008. The name started showing up in the top 1000 names in 1983. I wonder if it is a new "made up" name?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:38 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
My cousin just named their child Cambry. It is cute, but I always think of Toyota Cambry (Like Toyota Camry). Silly.. but I would never say anything.. there are a lot worse names out there.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatgirlwow View Post
I'm leaning towards Katelyn/ Catelyn? How do you spell this name? Whats the "standard" spelling? I dont want her to have to spell it over the phone?

Also, I come from a long line of Marys, Jennifers, Janes etc but I wanted something less "plain" but still a "white" name. Is Katelyn trully a "white" name?

Maybe Katelyn-Chealsea?

I like Katie but I figure Katelyn could be shortened to Katie!
Please no more Kaitlyns! It doesn't matter how you spell it, it's a very popular name. I have one niece (spelled with a K) and 1 goddaughter (spelled with a C) named C/Kaitlyn and my daughter's Kindergarten class boasted 2 Kaitlyns so they are always known as Kaitlyn S. and Kaitlyn T. In 2008 it was #11 most popular which means your child will probably have a few in her school. Think of all the cute uniforms she'll have with "Kaitlyn S." on it! Not. Kaitlyn is the new "Jennifer".

What's wrong with Katherine? You can call her Katie or Kate and she can use Kate or Katherine as an adult. And Katherine falls in at #49.

Incidentally, Mary, Jennifer and Jane weren't even on the list. Perhaps "boring" is now "original", and better yet, everyone knows how to spell it.

Scour websites for names...start at the bottom and work your way up. Oh, and please don't do Nevaeh...that is so tired.

Also, think about those who are important in your life. Perhaps you can use their name? Is your ancestry important to you? Look up baby names from a certain country/language. My daughters middle names and even my dog all are named after Jane Austen characters.

My coworker named her daughter Calissa because she and her husband honeymooned in Greece and their tour guide was named Calissa. There are great names out there that don't sound "ghetto", are unique and meaningful to you.

Once you settle on a name, do your daughter a favor and spell it the common way. She will thank you for it. My sister's name is Traci and the "i" throws everything off. Her social security card came to her with the name spelled incorrectly, the college graduation program had her name incorrect, she's always getting mail with it spelled wrong. And she can never find anything with her name on it. She always says she is going to have a daughter who can buy a personalized keychain at Disneyland!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting