U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Who are you talking about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She's talking about the school systems. They're very oppressive of young children. They can't even hug each other in kindergarten.
I'm talking about parents, mothers specifically, and schools.

Read posts right here on CD. How often do you hear mothers state what is permitted and what isn't to an extreme? It's startling the excessive control they have over their children, especially the younger ones (mothers and children). An astounding number of mothers want an inordinate amount of control in the schools, but they complain because the schools aren't teaching enough or too much.

Look around you at the way people parent their kids; how micromanaged and controlled kids are.

Read the stories about how schools have initiated rules and punishments for kids being kids. It's laughable.

Society is not getting better, it's getting worse, and we are doing a frightful disservice to our children in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:29 AM
 
336 posts, read 667,706 times
Reputation: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I think parents get hysterical over the wrong things. Kids are going to use the language that suits the situation for them. There is nothing wrong with the word stupid. Growing up, almost every kid used it and nothing bad ever happened as a result. Calling other kids stupid, or calling objects or activities, it doesn't matter.

Society isn't better off in the past few years than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago just because people are so insanely politically correct that we aren't allowed to breathe designated air anymore. In fact, society was more polite, considerate and proper back before political correctedness was invented. We were WAY better off when society wasn't so stupidly sensitive.
How is calling someone stupid a "meaningful way" to express frustration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:30 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Mine can and do, and they always have. We've lived in three states, including California, which is famous for its litigious nature. I think it's important to keep a sense of reality, rather than magnifying the instance of a few overly sensitive people into some imaginary plague of oppression.
And what are kids these days learning? What they are being taught; everything that happens is always someone else's fault and that someone else should pay dearly for their wrongs, deservedly or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyBeing View Post
How is calling someone stupid a "meaningful way" to express frustration?
Why does it have to be meaningful? My point exactly. Kids don't think in meaningful ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Texas
42,283 posts, read 49,833,895 times
Reputation: 67136
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Why does it have to be meaningful? My point exactly. Kids don't think in meaningful ways.

Sure they do. And they should be encouraged to. My favorite part of childhood (besides the utter lack of responsibility) was examining things and what I did and did not like about them. Bc so many things were new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM
 
Location: The Hall of Justice
25,907 posts, read 35,012,832 times
Reputation: 42372
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I'm talking about parents, mothers specifically, and schools.

Read posts right here on CD. How often do you hear mothers state what is permitted and what isn't to an extreme? It's startling the excessive control they have over their children, especially the younger ones (mothers and children). An astounding number of mothers want an inordinate amount of control in the schools, but they complain because the schools aren't teaching enough or too much.
I do read the posts on CD. I read almost every post on the Parenting column. I sometimes skip the sensational "news" that John posts (some guy has 29 kids ... whoopdedo), and I avoid or stop reading the dead-horse threads about spanking and vaccines, because they go nowhere. I do read all the others, though, as I have almost since I started posting here several months ago.

I see posts saying things like, "My friend's kid's school makes the parents invite all their kids' classmates to birthday parties," which probably fuels your belief that "schools" are dictatorial and oppressive. Something like half a dozen people, including me, commented that the poster's friend was either misinformed or it was a very odd, isolated incident.

There are a couple of schools out there that don't have recess or tag or whatever. They're not the majority. I've heard of literally one or two through online articles, not because I know of any of these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Look around you at the way people parent their kids; how micromanaged and controlled kids are.

Read the stories about how schools have initiated rules and punishments for kids being kids. It's laughable.
I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, Stormy, but maybe you should move if that's all you see. Not everywhere is like that. I don't think most places are like that. You've read the boards, too. CD posters are from all over the U.S. and other countries as well. Almost all of them have the attitude that kids should be kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Society is not getting better, it's getting worse, and we are doing a frightful disservice to our children in the process.
I disagree. I don't agree with everything that I see, but I am not frightened about where society is headed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:45 AM
 
Location: NW Montana
283 posts, read 643,035 times
Reputation: 259
My kids can say something is "stupid", but not call someone "stupid". Especially each other. My husband and I decided that we were going to try to raise children that respect others' feelings and calling someone "stupid" is being disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sure they do. And they should be encouraged to. My favorite part of childhood (besides the utter lack of responsibility) was examining things and what I did and did not like about them. Bc so many things were new.
That's not what I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Denver area
21,145 posts, read 22,135,031 times
Reputation: 35604
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeninmt View Post
My kids can say something is "stupid", but not call someone "stupid". Especially each other. My husband and I decided that we were going to try to raise children that respect others' feelings and calling someone "stupid" is being disrespectful.
That's our rule too. When they were little-little, it was easier to just tell them not to use that word. As they got older, usage was modified. Not to mention, if you are just using it all the time, you're really limiting your vocabulary. I don't see where teaching kids to speak respectfully of others (including those you may be angry at of frustrated with) is overly controlling or not allowing them to express themselves....we don't use the term "retarded" or "gay" (as in 'oh, that's so gay' - of course there is no objection to appropriate and respectful usage) either. I hear both kids and adults using those words to describe people and things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2009, 09:12 AM
 
1,986 posts, read 3,468,971 times
Reputation: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I'm sorry if this sounds insensitive, Stormy, but maybe you should move if that's all you see. .
So, because I view society as headed for the sewer, I should leave? This is my country. This is my home, and I should leave because I think differently than you do? That's exactly the attitude that I'm talking about. Maybe YOU should leave, since YOU don't agree with ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top