U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,694 times

Advertisements

My husband got a cold so now my 7 year old is getting one too. I know I had read some home remedies for coughing. Looking for something to really help at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
all I can think of is a humidifier, plus some hot water, lemon, and honey as a bedtime drink. Basically a hot toddy minus the alcohol.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 AM

4,751 posts, read 12,040,957 times
Because of seasonal allergies, I've been coughing like crazy at night. Tonight I'm trying honey.

Honey Is An Effective Cough Remedy (http://remedycentral.net/blog/2009/04/honey-an-effective-cough-remedy/ - broken link)

Old 05-31-2009, 09:55 AM

2,466 posts, read 4,201,231 times
If it's a terrible cough I will put the creamy vicks stuff on their back and chest and on the soles of their feet. If I'm out of the creamy vicks, I will mix vasaline and vicks together and put that on their back and chest. I will have them wear a cotton t-shirt or pajamas.

If the cough is slight, but still bothersome I just put vicks on the soles of their feet. I don't know how it works but it does. (just like for some reason rubbing liquid soap like a lotion on your calves or thighs will help alieviate leg pains at night)

Honey and lemon in a tea or hot water will also help. I think the honey helps coat the throat much like a cough syrup does.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:07 AM

1,820 posts, read 3,898,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
If it's a terrible cough I will put the creamy vicks stuff on their back and chest and on the soles of their feet. If I'm out of the creamy vicks, I will mix vasaline and vicks together and put that on their back and chest. I will have them wear a cotton t-shirt or pajamas.

If the cough is slight, but still bothersome I just put vicks on the soles of their feet. I don't know how it works but it does. (just like for some reason rubbing liquid soap like a lotion on your calves or thighs will help alieviate leg pains at night)

Honey and lemon in a tea or hot water will also help. I think the honey helps coat the throat much like a cough syrup does.
I agree about the Vicks. I thought it was funny the first time I read about putting Vicks on the soles of their feet,but I have to say,it seems to work!

Old 05-31-2009, 01:29 PM

2,868 posts, read 8,443,210 times
Vicks on the feet with socks on...

Old 05-31-2009, 09:12 PM

2,096 posts, read 8,056,764 times
my youngest gets just about every stinkin cough that comes around, and then keeps it for forever, so im all over using any home remedies so we dont od her on cold meds.
We use the humidifier, rub her back and feet w/vicks, then put on the thick socks and I mix up about 3tablespoons of all natural honey, same amount of fresh lemon juice, i warm it up til its a liquid (TEST it, cuz you dont want hot honey!) and give her that. It calms her cough/throat just as good as tylonal. for the most part.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,694 times
He went to bed with Vicks and socks on his feet. He went right to sleep. I went to the store and of course forgot the honey. I will say this I 'm 49 and I still remember my Mom using vicks. People use it for a lot of stuff and they say it work. I get lots of allergies and stuff noise. I love to just put a little bit under my nose. Vicks the icon

Old 05-31-2009, 09:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 9,432,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
He went to bed with Vicks and socks on his feet. He went right to sleep. I went to the store and of course forgot the honey. I will say this I 'm 49 and I still remember my Mom using vicks. People use it for a lot of stuff and they say it work. I get lots of allergies and stuff noise. I love to just put a little bit under my nose. Vicks the icon
Its awesome as well when you don't want to smell something.

My dog got sick (and I don't mean vomit) one morning in our laundry room. I could not even go near the room without dry heaving until I smeared vicks under my nose. It helped a lot.

I hope your son's cough gets better soon.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 AM

510 posts, read 1,800,373 times
Yep, Vicks on the bottom of feet with socks on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or