U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM

496 posts, read 1,518,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
What You Said.

I'd like my kids to grow up to be the same way. The only other thing would be I'd like them all to be Saved and believe in Christ and have a great relationship with Him. I know not everyone believes in God or Christ, but it's something that my family and my husband's family has believed in for many generations. There have been times when knowing God is on our side we got through some pretty tough times.
I couldn't have put it better myself! That's exactly what I want from my kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 PM

758 posts, read 1,599,292 times
I want them to find someone that loves them above all else and that they love above all else. I want my kids to have a good job that they love. I also want them to visit me often and let me visit them often.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 PM

42,668 posts, read 71,804,168 times
I must confess, I'm a little bit befuddled. Almost all of you said "Happy" fist. You have very little to worry about. There have been quite a few "Happiness" indices made around the world, and the overwhelming majority of the world's people told pollsters that they are happy. Only a handful of countries, did the majority say they were unhappy. Americans are about the middle of the pack. You could put your children in a rowboat and send it downstream, and in 20 years, they would be very likely to say they are happy. Human beings have an amazing capacity to find ways to be happy, and your children will, too, and will need neither luck nor skill to accomplish that.

How many of you can name a person with whom you would trade places, switching all your troubles and blessings for theirs? No? How could you be happier than that? Somebody once said "If everybody threw their troubles in a big heap, and I saw everyone else's, I'd haul mine back out."

Your kids will be happy. What else do you hope for?

Old 06-01-2009, 05:36 PM

6,764 posts, read 19,329,859 times
My son has Asperger Syndrome and has trouble relating to peers. Apart from that, he has a few learning disabilities holding back his intelligence and creativity which he has in abundance.

I wish he could find a nice girl someday and be a dad and be happy. That's what he wants.

Also, he should be happy with himself and his life.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:48 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,853,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I must confess, I'm a little bit befuddled. Almost all of you said "Happy" fist. You have very little to worry about. There have been quite a few "Happiness" indices made around the world, and the overwhelming majority of the world's people told pollsters that they are happy. Only a handful of countries, did the majority say they were unhappy. Americans are about the middle of the pack. You could put your children in a rowboat and send it downstream, and in 20 years, they would be very likely to say they are happy. Human beings have an amazing capacity to find ways to be happy, and your children will, too, and will need neither luck nor skill to accomplish that.

How many of you can name a person with whom you would trade places, switching all your troubles and blessings for theirs? No? How could you be happier than that? Somebody once said "If everybody threw their troubles in a big heap, and I saw everyone else's, I'd haul mine back out."

What people say and what they feel are two very different things.
I am happy with the things I have in my life. I have a great husband, healthy kids, a nice home, job stability for my hubby, etc... Enter depression and I am no longer happy. If I were to fill out a survey I would check happy.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:58 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,546,221 times
Happy -well adjusted- independent- happy -self sufficient- happy -caring- happy- giving and lastly happy.
Not being a wise guy here it is just if you are not happy you cannot be successful as it has a negative impact on life.
Success is not measured in dollars.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:43 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,505,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
Happy and satisfied with her choices, but willing to change if necessary. Grounded and brave. Dependable and honest.
Very good...I can only think of one more thing..."sensible." Not that she is boring, but that she has common sense. Seems to be a rarity these days.

I really like "Brave". Not macho, but brave enough to possibly take the road less traveled and to stand up for those who can't.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,503,166 times
Quote:
When you read this question, did you think I meant career, or family, or character, or health, or what? What is the ONE thing most important to you, as a parent, for your children's future?

In "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", a wonderful book that everyone should read, the author, Robert Persig, described an event in which his son asked him "Dad, what do you want me to be when I grow up?" He answered "Honest." (I won't tell you the spoiler.)
Career. In fact, before I clicked to open the thread I had more thoughts on what I didn't want him to be. Like........don't work in the steel mill, don't become a crack head, etc.

I think the most important thing is the ability to make decisions and recognize the long term consequences. Obviously, to recognize that one decision can drastically alter your life for either good or bad. Sometimes an opportunity will look like a pain in the butt but may work out in the end.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,663,769 times
Quote:

I can't believe I agree with you again.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,474,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Very good...I can only think of one more thing..."sensible." Not that she is boring, but that she has common sense. Seems to be a rarity these days.

I really like "Brave". Not macho, but brave enough to possibly take the road less traveled and to stand up for those who can't.
I thought grounded covered sensible. I think brave is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or