U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,233,860 times

Advertisements

I want my son to be productive and useful.
I want him to be physically and emotionally healthy.
And I want him to be loved. Even when I'm no longer here to love him, I still want him to be loved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:02 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,989,441 times
In addition to the wonderful hopes stated here ... I'll add "out of the house."

Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,586,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When you read this question, did you think I meant career, or family, or character, or health, or what? What is the ONE thing most important to you, as a parent, for your children's future?

In "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance", a wonderful book that everyone should read, the author, Robert Persig, described an event in which his son asked him "Dad, what do you want me to be when I grow up?" He answered "Honest." (I won't tell you the spoiler.)
I read it as "What do your kids want to be when they grow up". My son (10) wants to be a Forensics scientist, and my daughter (4) wants to be a Vetinarian. The most important thing I would like to teach them for their future is to do unto others as you would do onto yourself. I would like them to be responsible, respectful, and compassionate human beings. Also, I would like to see them aim high, stay the course and follow their dreams....

Old 06-01-2009, 09:55 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,505,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
In addition to the wonderful hopes stated here ... I'll add "out of the house."
I'll second that!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:26 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,720,716 times
Quote:
I must confess, I'm a little bit befuddled. Almost all of you said "Happy" fist. You have very little to worry about. There have been quite a few "Happiness" indices made around the world, and the overwhelming majority of the world's people told pollsters that they are happy. Only a handful of countries, did the majority say they were unhappy. Americans are about the middle of the pack. You could put your children in a rowboat and send it downstream, and in 20 years, they would be very likely to say they are happy. Human beings have an amazing capacity to find ways to be happy, and your children will, too, and will need neither luck nor skill to accomplish that.

How many of you can name a person with whom you would trade places, switching all your troubles and blessings for theirs? No? How could you be happier than that? Somebody once said "If everybody threw their troubles in a big heap, and I saw everyone else's, I'd haul mine back out."

Your kids will be happy. What else do you hope for?
What else is there besides being happy? If my kids are happy, independent, and healthy everything else is extra.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:34 AM

546 posts, read 1,463,894 times
DH has an ongoing joke that our oldest will be a scientist, our middle child, a happy Ice cream truck man, and our youngest, an accountant. But joking aside we both just want our kids to be very happy and fulfilled in whatever they choose to do. While I would like for them to be financially stable, I also know that picking a job specifically for a high salary does not always equal happiness.

As for in general, so long as they are happy with themselves, and healthy, I'll be a happy mom.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 AM

467 posts, read 845,119 times
Quote:
...Your kids will be happy. What else do you hope for?
I know I wasn't what you'd call "happy" when I was single. I just kinda killed time. I had no real friends. My social network was my coworkers, so on weekends I was just finding stuff to do until Monday.

I did a lot of exploring and finding cool stuff to do, but I was alone and thats not so fun as being with someone. I even got into Pro Ball and bought season tickets and got into biking just to give myself a hobby to get into and it worked. But I'm far happier now that I'm married. I was happy for awhile when my sons were littler, not so much now that they have mental health issues (just being honest).

The rate my son is going, I can't see him being real happy as an adult (assuming he's not institutionalized). He's not even a happy kid most of the time and thats the most carefree part of your lifetime supposedly.

So yes, my greatest wish for Mr Angry, Nervous and Out-of-Touch is that he finally finds the peace and harmony that his brain needs so that he will finally know happiness and peace.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,467,409 times
I've raised two and have two more to go, but for all of them I wish them to have dreams and be able to fulfill those dreams. The first two have...now it's a few years before the next two will embark on that journey.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,495,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
I thought grounded covered sensible. I think brave is important.
I assumed "grounded" means something like "comfortable in her skin".

Sensible means that she won't take abuse from someone she supposedly loves, she won't fall prey to peer pressure, she won't stay in a job she hates just because it pays a good salary, she knows how to budget her money and time, etc etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:30 PM

2,005 posts, read 5,124,017 times
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I want my kids to be:

in a profession that can't be outsourced and that is lucrative enough to support themselves

content, productive, honest, etc., that's all a given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or