Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,648,272 times

Advertisements

My kids aren't quite that age yet (10&12), but I think I would probably consider letting them go and spend the night if I felt sure about the parental supervision and sleeping arrangements. And, it would possibly also depend on the kids that were going and who the parents were (if I felt that they had decent morals). I may even offer to come and help out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 01:23 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,789,862 times
Last New Year's Eve my daughter (then 16) went to a (male) friend's house with other kids for a party. The boys parents were home. She called me a little after midnight and asked if she could sleep over. It was her and five boys. The other one girl had already gone home. They were going to crash on the floor in the family room. I didn't see any reason not to let her since I knew all these boys, I know her feelings on teen sex, and she has always been the type that nobody could not talk her into or out of anything she wanted or didn't want to do.

Some of my friends thought I was nuts, but I didn't really see a problem with it. Another friend drove her home the following morning, and she went right to bed for a few hours.

Both DH and I are pretty lenient, and I really wouldn't see a problem with a male/female sleepover given the way the party was described by the OP.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:09 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
sorry not in my house ever . Too much can happen and wallah you are then being sued by a parent for a kid who got it into his or her head to hit the liquor cabinet without your knowledge . No thank you too much trouble .

Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 PM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I often went to boy-girl sleepovers through high school. My little group of 4 (2 girls, 2 boys) were inseparable- and the girls also made no bones about the fact that we saw the boys as our brothers. We spent more time together through school and marching band than we did with our own families half the time. Moreover, due to our friendship, we automatically had 3 sets of "aunts" and "uncles" to go to for help and advice. Our parents were friends and we were well supervised and trusted- it worked out well for us.

Old 06-02-2009, 05:33 PM

650 posts, read 2,179,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I'm a teenager I've been to several boy-girl parties but, tomorrow my friend is throwing a huge lavish birthday party for her 18th.It will be a huge pool themed party with lots of food and stuff to do.But to the point she is having a sleepover with boys and girls there.My mom says I can go to the party but not the sleepover.Yeah I'm a bit upset that I wont be sleeping over but I'm not going to dwell on it.I am happy that I atleast get to go!

Well anyways to the question. Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover? I figured this might be a interesting topic for conversation
Not on your life! That would be WAY inappropriate, imho!

Old 06-02-2009, 06:18 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,498,624 times
not sure. Are the parents providing condoms?

Old 06-02-2009, 06:58 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I went to one boy-girl sleepover in high school. Actually, the boy's parents misunderstood him and thought only the boys were staying over--boy were they mad! But it was a party to celebrate the end of the yearly play, and all the kids were upstanding citizens, of which my parents knew several of the families. Finally, the boy's parents were huge pillars in the community and at our church. Plus their house was BIG, so there were two floors between where each sex slept. But looking back, I wonder how much sleep his parents got that night!

There are too many "ifs" involved. So for me, generally I would say no. However, if it ended up being in a situation like I was in, I would be more inclined to say yes.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:44 PM

116 posts, read 256,010 times
Sorry to post a question twice; but is this really what American parenting is like?- I'm not judging it just seems incredibly different to British and European approaches!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I'm a teenager I've been to several boy-girl parties but, tomorrow my friend is throwing a huge lavish birthday party for her 18th.It will be a huge pool themed party with lots of food and stuff to do.But to the point she is having a sleepover with boys and girls there.My mom says I can go to the party but not the sleepover.Yeah I'm a bit upset that I wont be sleeping over but I'm not going to dwell on it.I am happy that I atleast get to go!

Well anyways to the question. Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover? I figured this might be a interesting topic for conversation
Never in a million years..... sorry.... I was a teenager myself once and I know what I did and what goes on... No way no how! My kids will be coming home from the party and sleeping in their own bed.... just as you are Sorry you are not too happy about the decision but your mother is a WISE woman!!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:20 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,736,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Sorry to post a question twice; but is this really what American parenting is like?- I'm not judging it just seems incredibly different to British and European approaches!
What do you mean? Are you shocked by the fact that so many people would let their teens sleep over at a co-ed party, because I am! I'm completely baffled by the replies here.

If any of my kids were invited, I would let them attend the party but pick them up at their curfew. Someone said that teens can have sex anywhere and yes, that's true, but why set them up and give them the means to do it? Maybe your teen wouldn't be ready to have sex based on the situations the teen has been in but throw them into a co-ed sleep party and my gosh, the peer pressure would be insane. Why put your kid in that position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting