U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:52 PM

119 posts, read 226,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
What do you mean? Are you shocked by the fact that so many people would let their teens sleep over at a co-ed party, because I am! I'm completely baffled by the replies here.

If any of my kids were invited, I would let them attend the party but pick them up at their curfew. Someone said that teens can have sex anywhere and yes, that's true, but why set them up and give them the means to do it? Maybe your teen wouldn't be ready to have sex based on the situations the teen has been in but throw them into a co-ed sleep party and my gosh, the peer pressure would be insane. Why put your kid in that position?
Er...It's funny that you should say that, because in fact my response was the complete opposite! The way kids are brought up here, this situation would never occur, I was unaware that such protective parenting happened in the US. If this debate is representative in any way of America, or at least I would gather, the American middle classes, then European kids have far more freedom! Whether this is good or bad is not for me to say but I am completely shocked that this discussion is even being had. This sort of situation would never pose a problem in England, and if it did, it would only do so among a small percentage of parents.
This is so interesting, I never realised that this was the case in America; do you ever feel that by 'protecting' kids from the evils of the world (as you see them), you might actually just leave them unprepared to deal with situations once they are out of your control? This is just what I have seen personally in relation to my attitude to drink vs my American cousins. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 04:30 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,794,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman13 View Post
Er...It's funny that you should say that, because in fact my response was the complete opposite! The way kids are brought up here, this situation would never occur, I was unaware that such protective parenting happened in the US. If this debate is representative in any way of America, or at least I would gather, the American middle classes, then European kids have far more freedom! Whether this is good or bad is not for me to say but I am completely shocked that this discussion is even being had. This sort of situation would never pose a problem in England, and if it did, it would only do so among a small percentage of parents.
This is so interesting, I never realised that this was the case in America; do you ever feel that by 'protecting' kids from the evils of the world (as you see them), you might actually just leave them unprepared to deal with situations once they are out of your control? This is just what I have seen personally in relation to my attitude to drink vs my American cousins. Thanks!

I know, we are a bit backwards when it comes to sex over here, although I don't have anything to compare to since this is all I know, BUT when we see European advertising that is pretty risque, it's a shocker to us and mostly would never fly here,lol...I wonder why American's are so uptight about it? Funny because it really doesn't seem that way when you are from here, but when you hear about differences in other areas, it's strange!

Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,577,238 times
I remember when I was in Spain. Don;t even bother going to the clubs before 2am. All of the clubs open in the early evening are actually teen clubs, 16+.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I'm a teenager I've been to several boy-girl parties but, tomorrow my friend is throwing a huge lavish birthday party for her 18th.It will be a huge pool themed party with lots of food and stuff to do.But to the point she is having a sleepover with boys and girls there.My mom says I can go to the party but not the sleepover.Yeah I'm a bit upset that I wont be sleeping over but I'm not going to dwell on it.I am happy that I atleast get to go!

Well anyways to the question. Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover? I figured this might be a interesting topic for conversation

No. Except possibly if I were going to be one of the chaperones. It's possible that it's more an all-night party but I'd still be there to pick up my kid by a certain time.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:10 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
not sure. Are the parents providing condoms?
LOL!! Too funny. Good question though.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
Well to my thinking, I will allow my children sleepover parties: (1) instead of they come back late midnight home drunk. (2) Times have changed now its the young generation land. (3) If you disapprove then you see the reaction in their behaviour is totally peculair. (4) Even we at times love to have the same parties like our children too. Are you not? Ask your mind? Readers you will feel their mind full of their thinking then.LOL

Old 06-10-2009, 01:29 PM

2,514 posts, read 5,180,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
What do you mean? Are you shocked by the fact that so many people would let their teens sleep over at a co-ed party, because I am! I'm completely baffled by the replies here.

If any of my kids were invited, I would let them attend the party but pick them up at their curfew. Someone said that teens can have sex anywhere and yes, that's true, but why set them up and give them the means to do it? Maybe your teen wouldn't be ready to have sex based on the situations the teen has been in but throw them into a co-ed sleep party and my gosh, the peer pressure would be insane. Why put your kid in that position?
I agree w/ you! I would also be picking my child up.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:36 PM

22 posts, read 42,935 times
Hm.

At first I was all ready to say no way!! Then I got to thinking about it, and I recalled MY childhood. I was never allowed to date, hang out with friends at the mall, go to school dances unless my parents were chaperoning.

I ended up marrying the first guy I ever actually dated (2 weeks after my 18th bday) and it ended less than a year later in a painful (for me) divorce.

Soooo I know I gotta let go. If it was chaperoned, and I knew the parents, yes. If it was a family that I didn't personally know, had never met, etc... no. I'd volunteer to be a chaperone perhaps... but I don't want my children to make the same mistakes I did due to my parents overzealous parenting.

I love my parents to death though, even if they did make some mistakes in that department

Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM

8,668 posts, read 19,929,857 times
Well, I'm not sure as someone stated earlier that it's any different than a "lock in " held at a public place except with someone's home, private areas such as bedrooms are more accessible.

Bottom line, I would not have let my son go unless I or my husband were chaperoning or it was at a kids house where I knew the parents VERY, VERY well and knew they were the kind to do the kind of chaperoning job I would do.

My own son had 2 boy/girl birthday parties at age 15 and 16 at our house. The way we handled it was that the girls had to go home about 11 or 12, and the guys stayed the night. They all stayed up till about 4 playing video games etc and then crashed on the couches, the floor wherever. To me, this seemed like a reasonable compromise. Even at this, I received several calls from girl's parents wanting to make sure the event was chaperoned. And I think they were wise to place such a call since they didn't know us.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,577,238 times
^^^^^^^^

the ones who would pick up their HS senior, what's going to happen when they are in college in less than a year? Are they going to be staying home and commute then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or