U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 01:09 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,793,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
^^^^^^^^

the ones who would pick up their HS senior, what's going to happen when they are in college in less than a year? Are they going to be staying home and commute then?

Ummm, no, then they are an adult (in most cases). up until then, they are children that I am raising.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:32 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,580,895 times
I had to think about this one.
Yes, if they want to have sex they will have it anyway--somewhere.
Yes, they are very close to adulthood and probably over the age of consent in most states.
Yes, they are still my children..and I just ain't that cool
That doesn't mean I have to give my permission for them to have sex by allowing them to sleep over at their gf/bf's house. I would probably go with the late party and having them go home at 12.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:43 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,331,072 times
To put it crudely...having hormone addled / horny teens in a scenario where sex might be more likely is a bad idea. Yes. They may do it anyway and being totally closed minded about it often leads to more of it. But it is still a bad idea.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,734,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I'm a teenager I've been to several boy-girl parties but, tomorrow my friend is throwing a huge lavish birthday party for her 18th.It will be a huge pool themed party with lots of food and stuff to do.But to the point she is having a sleepover with boys and girls there.My mom says I can go to the party but not the sleepover.Yeah I'm a bit upset that I wont be sleeping over but I'm not going to dwell on it.I am happy that I atleast get to go!

Well anyways to the question. Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover? I figured this might be a interesting topic for conversation

Um, yeah not so much. My daughter may attend the party but not the sleepover just like your mom said to you

Have Fun, hope you not going to DRINK ALCOHOL or SMOKE right??????
Oh yeah and eat a lot of fun foods that's my favorite part at parties THE MUNCHIES

Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM

29,633 posts, read 31,948,941 times
I let my daughter go to a few in high school. They were not stressing them as 'boy/girl sleepovers' , in fact 'sleeping' rarely happened. But there were a couple of cast parties, an overnight trip or two, and even some all night youth group gatherings that were coed. I know teens have sex and hormones run rampant, my kids no exceptions, but not at these particular gatherings. I always knew who mine were involved with....unfortunately.

There was even one time, senior year, when kids came over for an all-nite LAN party and a couple boys slept on my family room floor. I know because I had to step over them in the morning.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:48 PM

603 posts, read 2,072,090 times
Absolutely not. Enough said.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:00 PM

3,191 posts, read 8,041,904 times
Oh why not have coed parties/sleepovers? As long as they are supervised by mature adults and no alcohol, then at least a parent doesn't have to worry about their kid being out on the road in the wee hours, in car full of sugar/hormone high kids. LOL keep'em all under one roof And let your kid know you have the full right to 'pop in' and check the situation out should you choose to
Lots of churches have coed 'lock-ins'.

Anyway- Ya know if the kids are going to DO IT (sex or drink), they will find a way, whether it is in a car or the park, at a friends house with the parents away, or in the bedroom(with the door open! OMG) while Mom and Dad watch TV in the den (ya that was my niece)

Gdude- go have fun...and respect your parents decision. As they see you mature and accept stuff without pitching a fit, they will be more likely to loosen the reins

Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM

12,931 posts, read 19,818,561 times
My kids (all boys) have attended lots of co-ed sleepovers. The vast majority of them have been hosted by girls. Generally the kids watch movies or play video games into the early hours, then crash. I don't think I would have the fortitude to host one myself, as I imagine it takes a light sleeper to keep an ear out, but the ones we've been involved with have been supervised well.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:31 AM

2,542 posts, read 5,825,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
the ones who would pick up their HS senior, what's going to happen when they are in college in less than a year? Are they going to be staying home and commute then?
No, at that point it is their time to "fly." Through high school, I am responsible for raising them and that includes helping them learn to make wise decisions so that they will more likely continue making wise decisions on their own. When it comes to sex, that means constant talking with them, asking them to think about hard questions regarding it, and helping them to choose not too by making it as hard to as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
....Anyway- Ya know if the kids are going to DO IT (sex or drink), they will find a way, whether it is in a car or the park, at a friends house with the parents away, or in the bedroom(with the door open! OMG) while Mom and Dad watch TV in the den (ya that was my niece)
Yes, they will find a possible way many times, but it is still our job to try to stop it. I often think our roles are to try our hardest to make it difficult for them to do any undesirable behaviors, while their's is to try their hardest to get away with it! I wanted to try drinking and go to parties when I was a teenager, but my parents made it impossible!! I still managed to somewhat, but it was in my last two years, and it was far, far, far less then it coudl be (and was for a lot of my peers). And I still have a wonderful, social high school experience.

I agree with you guys:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
To put it crudely...having hormone addled / horny teens in a scenario where sex might be more likely is a bad idea. Yes. They may do it anyway and being totally closed minded about it often leads to more of it. But it is still a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
...That doesn't mean I have to give my permission for them to have sex by allowing them to sleep over at their gf/bf's house....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM

119 posts, read 226,224 times
I really don't mean to come across as preachy or anything...but kids don't have sex every time they are left alone together. And it would appear that the more it is made into a big thing, the more pressure is put on children when they do find themselves in that situation, as it seems like the thing they should do, otherwise why would they be protected from it.

It just looks to me like kids in the UK and Europe go out pretty regularly from between the ages of 13-15 (and continuing right until they get married pretty much), go to parties, get pissed, have fun or whatever and yet these countries have far lower teenage pregnancy rates...Am I missing something, is there some cultural reason why American pregnency rates are so high among teenagers? Or are most parents in America not as caring and protective of their kids as you lot?

Thanks

Last edited by moonman13; 06-11-2009 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or