U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:14 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Is this normal/typical in the US (co-ed sleepovers)??? When I was growing up this was unheard off. I never had even girl-girl sleepovers when I was younger and never heard of anyone doing it. The only sleepovers my brothers and I had were at my grandma's and my auntie's with my cousins!! In my culture parents are very protective, even more than they are here. My oldest is turning 9 so this will be very diffiicult to me!!
My first sleep over was probably during my sophomore year in College!!
There are some areas of the USA where parents pretty much allow children to do whatever they please even far younger than 17 or 18. I don't think it's typical at all.

In fact with my boy-girl twins, when they were 12, the girl had some friends over and they decided to sleep on the family floor in sleeping bags and her brother joined them. He was a young 12, hadn't reached puberty yet and it was completely innocent, he just wanted to be along with his twin sister. In his case it was okay with the parents of the girls but only because they knew him, but other people told me it was inappropriate. It can depend on the parents, the kids and the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 05:44 PM

484 posts, read 1,175,953 times
I would not let my daughter go to a boy/girl sleepover. She is 12. Why? I just don't feel its approriate.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:21 PM

1,668 posts, read 3,943,929 times
If you live in my house, no co-ed sleep overs until you're married. Period.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:36 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,568,089 times
So the people who would not let there kids sleep over. Would you let them go to a co-ed lock-in at the church?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:39 AM

1,091 posts, read 3,233,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
So the people who would not let there kids sleep over. Would you let them go to a co-ed lock-in at the church?

Or spend the night with a friend who had opposite-sex siblings?
Or allow your own children to ever have sleepovers, if you have both a son and a daughter?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 AM

11,614 posts, read 19,711,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Since Jews are not usually in attendance at the church this is not an issue for us. But seriously, as a teen we had youth group overnights at the synagogue and I would allow my son to attend that sort of thing. In my synagogue the boys and girls did not sleep in the same rooms and there were dedicated chaperones who supervised all activities. A party at someone's house is a whole different set of rules.

As far as opposite sex siblings, it really depends on the individual situation. In that case we are usually talking about a handful of kids (probably no more than 3 or 4) and usually talking about kids who know each other very well. We don't permit our kids to stay at any house where we do not know the parents well.

My youngest (10) currently has a good friend who has an older (13) sister. He sleeps over there but there is no chance of any problems because my son is not interested in girls and because she is not interested in "little" boys.

My oldest (15) sleeps at friend's house who has a really little sister (6). Again not a problem as my son is not interested in kindergardeners. If she were 13 or older we would probably reconsider (as I am sure her parents would). But again, we know the parents well and they know our son.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,026 times
How about sleep overs when you have two children, a boy and a girl. The boy is the older teen and they are 2 years apart. They are all friends and hang out in a large group , some like each other but at a designated time the group is divided by gender and girls go to one room and boys to another. The parents are very on top of the sleeping situation, and the group is a very good group of teens ( no drinking ,drugs smoking etc..., all athletic and good students). Would you have a problem with this? I had this when I was growing up and my parents were very strict .

Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,568,089 times
none of the naysayers really responded to the last 3

Old 11-27-2009, 10:16 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoftheneighborhood View Post
How about sleep overs when you have two children, a boy and a girl. The boy is the older teen and they are 2 years apart. They are all friends and hang out in a large group , some like each other but at a designated time the group is divided by gender and girls go to one room and boys to another. The parents are very on top of the sleeping situation, and the group is a very good group of teens ( no drinking ,drugs smoking etc..., all athletic and good students). Would you have a problem with this? I had this when I was growing up and my parents were very strict .
Not in the same bed of course but the same house? I don't see a problem at all with that. Even if they all fell asleep on the family room floor in sleeping bags, it wouldn't be a big deal to me. I think in bigger families things are not as uptight because kids grow up with the other gender and don't view everyone as sex objects, and don't view all their siblings' friends as that either.

Of course I have the kind of family where we have big get togethers and many of the cousins are in the same age range and it's not a big deal if the kids as teens decide to fall asleep around the bonfire because they stayed up talking or telling tall tales.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:16 PM

1,895 posts, read 4,039,360 times
Quote:
Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover?
No....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or