U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 AM

18,856 posts, read 30,447,336 times

Advertisements

Well, when I was young, we had a big cabin in the woods, by a ski resort. The upstairs had a big loft, where everyone slept, except the parents, who had a bedroom. We slept in the loft in sleeping bags, and went skiing the next day. Everyone was always invited, cousins, friends, whoever, there was no "partying" just hanging out, having fun, and then we all slept together in the loft. So, in that case...yes, because there were no bedrooms for anyone to go off to for "privacy". No one had sex, for one thing, we all would have known, it would have been grossly inappropriate. And for another, I don't know...this was only 20 years ago, but we just did not "go there" we appreciated the opportunity to go to the cabin, it was so nice, and fun. No one would have abused the privledge, because if it had been found out, you would not have been invited back. There was no t.v., no computers, just a radio, and lots of games. A whole other world. Innocent and fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,545 times
I grew up with relatively strict parents when it came to the opposite sex. My parents trusted me very much as I was never the type to cause trouble. I was a straight A student, never went out drinking with friends, never got into drugs, and they knew this. Where I live and in the surrounding towns (all small rural areas) co-ed sleepovers do occur and relatively often. Growing up I was not allowed to spend the night at these. I was allowed to attend the party but needed to be home by, I believe it was midnight. However there were exceptions such as prom night (with a group of best friends I'd had for years and at the home of a trusted parent) as well as having my own co-ed camp out sleepover at my house with separate tents for boys and girls and a bonfire outside for my 18th birthday. I believe that whether or not your child attends a co-ed sleepover truly depends on the amount of trust your child deserves as well as the other people who will be attending and WHERE they will be staying. who is the supervision? will the boys and girls be separated when they go to sleep? I think these decisions need to be made on a case by case basis and it really depends on how your child behaves.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:15 PM

4,080 posts, read 3,062,520 times
At 17 or 18, yes, I'd allow it. By that point, the kids are either having sex or have made a decision against it. Going to a sleepover is not going to push them over the edge and encourage them to lose their virginity.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:37 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,379,685 times
For I think my 16th birthday, I had a boy girl sleep over, granted it was one boy and the rest were girls lol but we all slept in my living room.

After 16 or older I'd say its fine.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,320 times
U guys are sissys i am throwing a party and im inviting guys and girls so what there not gonna do anything maybe kiss so!!???? Its okay god stupid people

Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM

5,944 posts, read 6,379,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle123456 View Post
U guys are sissys i am throwing a party and im inviting guys and girls so what there not gonna do anything maybe kiss so!!???? Its okay god stupid people
._.
| | <---There's the exit.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,270 times
I'm a teen and I for sure agree with letting boys and girls sleepover. I know that I have very good friends that are boys. We are all like one big family and if we were separated, it would be really bad,!! . It's not like we're all gonna have sex,!! Jeez parents are so pushy,!

Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 AM

9,834 posts, read 5,719,196 times
No go. It's just kind of weird. Have all the friends over but they don't have to sleep there. If it's family or going to a cabin or camping, ok but to just invite guys and girl friends over the house to sleep over, no.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:24 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,751,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
I'm a teenager I've been to several boy-girl parties but, tomorrow my friend is throwing a huge lavish birthday party for her 18th.It will be a huge pool themed party with lots of food and stuff to do.But to the point she is having a sleepover with boys and girls there.My mom says I can go to the party but not the sleepover.Yeah I'm a bit upset that I wont be sleeping over but I'm not going to dwell on it.I am happy that I atleast get to go!

Well anyways to the question. Would you let your son or daughter attend a boy-girl sleepover? I figured this might be a interesting topic for conversation
In the situation you described, absolutely not. (Full disclosure: I am 25 and have no children. I'm only speaking as if I did). I imagine that the swimsuit-clad young women will turn at least some of the men on, and at least some sexual encounters will ensue after the party. Plus, I wouldn't trust other people's parenting, especially today. I am a conservative Catholic; the beliefs on what adolescents should and should not be able to do of parents with more secularist, libertine mindsets clash with mine.

Even if I got confirmation that nothing would go on at the party from the parent, I would still not allow my daughter (or son) to attend. Adolescents are awfully sneaky, especially when they have a strong desire to do something - and I cannot think of any desire stronger than sex in an adolescent. Back when I was 16, I used to "chaperone" my younger brother's (then 13-14) parties in our garage. I would go out there once in a while and come back in, assuming, from the party's appearances, that nothing bad was happening and they were all having a good time. My bad. Just now, I learned that they would bring bottles of booze to the parties and hide them; and even that they started smoking pot at the parties! I really don't know how I didn't realize this, but it all went on under my nose.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:51 PM

8,401 posts, read 9,548,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
not sure. Are the parents providing condoms?
I wonder, and how many of those kids will be stoned when they arrive? Or at least after they do that little walk around the neighborhood block for a little fresh air. Unless this is a church party I doubt you will have sober teens there so I hope the condoms are on the breakfast bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or