U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 07:37 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,232,663 times

Advertisements

This spoke to me, for some reason.
It's from the short story, The Widow and her Son, written by Washington Irving in the year 1819.

"Oh! there is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to her son that transcends all other affections of the heart.
It is neither to be chilled by selfishness, nor daunted by danger, nor weakened by worthlessness, nor stifled by ingratitude.
She will sacrifice every comfort to his convenience; she will surrender every pleasure to his enjoyment; she will glory in his fame, and exult in his prosperity:- and, if misfortune overtake him, he will be the dearer to her from misfortune; and if disgrace settle upon his name, she will still love and cherish him in spite of his disgrace; and if all the world beside cast him off, she will be all the world to him."

True then, as now (equally true for daughters, I'm sure. And fathers. All parents and children).
I just thought it was a moving testament to the unchanging nature of a parent's love for a child. This was written almost two hundred years ago. But it could've been yesterday. Our bonds with our children are no different now than parents' bonds with their children have ever been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 07:57 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
Thank you for sharing. I do think the author intended to mean "the love of a mother for her son". There is something special between a woman and her male child. This passage expresses what I feel for my son, beautifully. At times, I am scared to let this feeling stiffle my son's development. I am leery of him growing to be a momma's boy... But, I do know what the passage means! I do love my daughter, but my love for my son is different.

I am not sure though how a woman with 2+ sons feels. I have personally known 2 women who each have 3 children, boy-girl-boy. They both have this special feeling only for the first-born son. One lady's son is 22 and he's had a sickness all his life. Not interfering too much with his life, but he can't sleep. It seems her whole focus is on him. All her thoughts are on him, -not on her other children. The other woman's children are 32, 28, 24. She says, if the oldest one is gone, she's gone, too. (The oldest one has had trouble with drugs, the other two have not).

Old 06-01-2009, 08:24 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,232,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Thank you for sharing. I do think the author intended to mean "the love of a mother for her son". There is something special between a woman and her male child. This passage expresses what I feel for my son, beautifully. At times, I am scared to let this feeling stiffle my son's development. I am leery of him growing to be a momma's boy... But, I do know what the passage means! I do love my daughter, but my love for my son is different.

I am not sure though how a woman with 2+ sons feels. I have personally known 2 women who each have 3 children, boy-girl-boy. They both have this special feeling only for the first-born son. One lady's son is 22 and he's had a sickness all his life. Not interfering too much with his life, but he can't sleep. It seems her whole focus is on him. All her thoughts are on him, -not on her other children. The other woman's children are 32, 28, 24. She says, if the oldest one is gone, she's gone, too. (The oldest one has had trouble with drugs, the other two have not).

I once heard the saying, "A mother is only as happy as her least happy child."
I can see how, even if one had other, healthier children, having one child struggling with illness or drug addiction would certainly dominate one's life.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

4,218 posts, read 7,849,480 times
True
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting