U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 AM

3,084 posts, read 6,487,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
She is 15 and does babysitting jobs to pay for it.

I haven't had to take her phone I am using it as an example, same with 11 yr old sons toys. I don't see the difference between the two.
Ok, since she makes her own money, then I'd probably use it as leverage, although I would not directly take it away unless she was absolutely abusing the phone.

Instead if she were in need of some logical consequences and the phone was the only thing effective in getting the point across, then I'd probably ground her from leaving the house. That in effect would prevent her from babysitting and making the money to pay for the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM

43,012 posts, read 89,350,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Can a car even be solely owned by a minor?
Minors can even soley own houses. They're just not allowed to have debt.

That no-debt law is to protect children from parents who put their minor children in debt.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:17 AM

11,619 posts, read 19,795,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
No she doesn't tell my daughter these things, it was something that we were discussing on our own.

For those of you who do not believe it is right, what about presents they receive or things that they buy with gift money? Technically those things are their property but if we were not allowed to use those things as punishment then would there be anything left to use?
I am not talking about taking things away permanently, a grounding if you will.
With teenagers you can tell them that you will not provide them a ride anywhere. You can tell them that they cannot have friends visit. You can make them solely responsible for some hated chore on a daily basis. You can tell them that they have to clean out the garage, basement, etc or do some other household project.

There are lots of things you can do without taking away stuff that they paid for.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 AM

11,619 posts, read 19,795,621 times
Quote:
Can a car even be solely owned by a minor
Sure. Why not? There are some things they probably cannot do (like insure the car without a license) but I can't see why a minor cannot own a car.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
If you are young enough that the parents must give permission, then you are young enough that parents can withdraw that permission.
Not when it comes to owned property. Parents can't take something like a car or house from a minor child--even if the parents gave the child permission. Courts protect the property of children. Sure, you can get away with it when it comes to an ipod (don't cout on it if the child has proof it's hers and she finds a lawyer willing to take her case! LOL), but when it comes to property where ownership is legally designated, the parents can NOT take the property away fromt he child. The parents can't even take a loan out in the child's name to do repairs to the property---because that's putting the child into debt.

You learn quickly about this when your child inherits property.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM

21,168 posts, read 22,214,348 times
Purchasing a car involves signing a contract. Minors cannot enter into a contract without parent/legal guardian involvement.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Sure. Why not? There are some things they probably cannot do (like insure the car without a license) but I can't see why a minor cannot own a car.
Having a license is not a requirement for insuring a car.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:27 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,666,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Having a license is not a requirement for insuring a car.

I believe in some states it is. One of my brothers had a problem in Florida.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:28 AM

21,168 posts, read 22,214,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Not when it comes to owned property. Parents can't take something like a car or house from a minor child--even if the parents gave the child permission. Courts protect the property of children. Sure, you can get away with it when it comes to an IP, but when it comes to property where ownership is legally designated, the parents can NOT take the property away fromt he child. The parents can't even take a loan out in the child's name to do repairs to the property---because that's putting the child into debt.

You learn quickly about this when your child inherits property.
Well, I only have one minor child left and neither of my parents would ever will or gift something to my minor kids like that so I'm not too concerned at this point. Other than college funds and even those my dad asked about whether we had any concerns or preferences about any UGMA issues.

It was only a question since I had no idea. I still believe a minor child living at home and being financially supported by me, needs to follow my rules. That's just how I was raised and how I am raising my kids. I expect they will do the same.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:31 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,646,402 times
she can buy a 9mm too or a bag of dope too. is that ok? its her money? she is not your roommate. the kids can move out and do the room mate thing if they want. parents are very uncomfortable being parents. causes lots of problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or