U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:28 PM
 
224 posts, read 594,816 times
Reputation: 180

Advertisements

sure it does, eheh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2009, 10:35 PM
ttz
 
Location: Western WA
679 posts, read 1,465,565 times
Reputation: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
There are some very "healthy" whales out there that do not smoke munching all day long from candy to the whoppers too yet, there are also some smokers that are pretty healthy by running and doing exercise and eating very healthy food.
I have been in the Army 31 years now. I have seen many Soldiers that smoke but because they must maintain certain weight standards and pass Physical Test often they are much more healthy than many of their fat spouses even their teenage sons and daughters.
Care to compare them to those nonsmoking whales out there? Care to check the latest results on children that do not smoke already with diabetes and other health problems because of the diet their parents providing them?

You have a great day.
El Amigo
OK well you can't compare an Army soldier to the general smoker out there. Most are lazy and do not exercise a lot. I'm sure your typical soldier would run rings around your typical male non smoker.

With that said, it is a fact that smoking does promote lethargy and laziness. Not in every case but mostly it is true! And, it is said that it would take someone being HUNDREDS of lbs overweight to make them equal the health problems someone who smokes a few packs a day. I believe it was ~90 lbs per pack or something like that... Pretty scare huh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 01:11 PM
 
5,949 posts, read 12,764,939 times
Reputation: 6678
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
And how many grease fires by careless people have driven people out of their apartment buildings in the middle of the night?
I totally agree that there are many other ways to start fires in our homes. But perhaps instead of a grease fire scenario, which has to do with cooking which is something we all need to do to eat and live, maybe think of something else that is more along the lines of smoking cigarettes - which is something we don't need to do to live and in fact, when we do it we put ourselves closer to dying. Candle burning, could be one example, or burning incense, or having too many things plugged into electric wall outlets, or something like that. I get what you're saying here, but because the example you gave has to do with something I'm assuming to be food-related, it's just not as potent.

And also... a quick google will show you that cigarettes are the leading cause of home fires.

And also - smoking cigarettes is also the leading cause of heart disease in people.

You know... I'm rethinking my earlier statement. I do believe it is selfish to smoke. Regardless of your age. Even the older generations now should know how horrible the habit is and how it not only affects them but everyone and everything around them. They can quit if they cared enough about others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 01:19 PM
 
Location: chicagoland
1,636 posts, read 3,666,150 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I totally agree that there are many other ways to start fires in our homes. But perhaps instead of a grease fire scenario, which has to do with cooking which is something we all need to do to eat and live, maybe think of something else that is more along the lines of smoking cigarettes - which is something we don't need to do to live and in fact, when we do it we put ourselves closer to dying. Candle burning, could be one example, or burning incense, or having too many things plugged into electric wall outlets, or something like that. I get what you're saying here, but because the example you gave has to do with something I'm assuming to be food-related, it's just not as potent.

And also... a quick google will show you that cigarettes are the leading cause of home fires.

And also - smoking cigarettes is also the leading cause of heart disease in people.

You know... I'm rethinking my earlier statement. I do believe it is selfish to smoke. Regardless of your age. Even the older generations now should know how horrible the habit is and how it not only affects them but everyone and everything around them. They can quit if they cared enough about others.

Not to mention themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 02:31 PM
 
5,714 posts, read 12,873,635 times
Reputation: 9016
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I am with Julia on this. There are many many things adults do that can be considered selfish. I am not a smoker and it's not a habit I even care to be around. But the fact is, if your mom raised her kids they are adults and self sufficient then honestly, other than express your concern, love and support, there isn't much you can do. Calling her selfish isn't helping anything.
I agree with maciesmom. Harping on her to stop or telling her she is selfish isn't going to make her quit. I am an ex-smoker and unless the person wants to quit, it isn't going to happen. Smoking is more addictive than heroin and it is extremely difficult to quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 03:44 PM
 
224 posts, read 594,816 times
Reputation: 180
Thumbs up I can so relate...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Now, that I've got 3 kids, we just can't bear to go to the house for visits. When we do, the stench on our clothes and on us is so awful that afterward, when we get home we basically have to strip down when we get in the door, put our stuff in a trash bag to go down to the washer and hustle upstairs to the showers.
My kids notice the difference as soon as we get back in the truck. They have made comments like "Ew, we stink!," "Mom, can we roll the windows down?," or my oldest will be rummaging through my purse saying, "Mom, can I have a spritz of your perfume?"

Out of the mouths of babes! I don't have to say a word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2009, 03:46 PM
 
2,466 posts, read 4,213,541 times
Reputation: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I agree with maciesmom. Harping on her to stop or telling her she is selfish isn't going to make her quit. I am an ex-smoker and unless the person wants to quit, it isn't going to happen. Smoking is more addictive than heroin and it is extremely difficult to quit.
Yes, having people harp on you or trying to manipulate you to quit just makes quitting that much harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 06:06 PM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,769,819 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttz View Post
OK well you can't compare an Army soldier to the general smoker out there. Most are lazy and do not exercise a lot. I'm sure your typical soldier would run rings around your typical male non smoker.

With that said, it is a fact that smoking does promote lethargy and laziness. Not in every case but mostly it is true! And, it is said that it would take someone being HUNDREDS of lbs overweight to make them equal the health problems someone who smokes a few packs a day. I believe it was ~90 lbs per pack or something like that... Pretty scare huh!
I will concede smoking is a worst health habit than eating. However, that is not the point I tried to make in my previous messages. You either ignored or missed the point. You did it again in your last message even though I pointed that to you. Is it me not good at making my point with my the writing skills I have or you lack some reading skills? Well, maybe both. I do not know.
The reason I compared eating and smoking was not to say they are equally harmful. I compared them as examples about trying to convince a parent to stop a bad habit using the guild trip tactic. That does not fly with me.

I am sure some people if their parents told their adult children that may look like whales to stop eating for the sake of the greanchildren because they look like may be having a lot health problems as many kids today, the adult children would reply the parents to mind their own business.
That is the point I was making, not comparing which habit is more harmful.

I just do not agree with using guilt trip habit.

Sure, if a daughter of mine gives me a suggestion out of genuine concern or as an observation, I have no problem she telling me about it. However, do not tell me she wants me to be around for the sake of her children.

I love my children but I also decide what life is comfortable to me. I would not want to live a life depriving me of things that make me happy nor would I expect the same from my children.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,641 posts, read 31,333,250 times
Reputation: 26736
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I was talking to my sister (who smokes) about my mother and father who smoke. I had told her that I was concerned about my mother since she hasn't been for a checkup in over 21 years! She's been coughing much more and a few other things. I mentioned that it makes me sad that she smokes so much and that she probably won't be around to see my children grow up. My sister then said "yea, sounds pretty selfish. If I had kids I'd quit. Mom should defintitely quit."

So we approached my mother with the idea that my siblings try WITH my parents. We told her how much we want her around and especially my little girl who adores her already!

Her response was that she's going to die anyway, why not die happy. She also said that it's too late and she's too addicted. She said that her not quitting has nothing to do with being selfish.

What do you think? Is it selfish to smoke when you have children/grandchildren? Would you quit for your children/grandchildren? How would you approach your parents?
Smoking is an addiction, it is not easy to quit and guilt-tripping relatives usually does not help. Unfortunately, I smoke and have tried unsuccessfully to quit on many occasions. The best you can ask or hope for is that they do not smoke around you or around small children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2009, 06:17 PM
 
Location: North Texas
23,641 posts, read 31,333,250 times
Reputation: 26736
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I completely understand and respect that. But what if the children go to a parent and express great concern and practically beg the parent to stop something like smoking? What if the parent then refuses to stop dispite the children's concern?????
For a lot of people it is not as simple as refusing to quit. They may have tried many times to quit and become discouraged by all the failed attempts. You telling them they're selfish for not being able to kick a drug that is as addictive as heroin is not going to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top