Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 01:10 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,488,603 times

Advertisements

Hi All, My daugher is 10 years old and has been involved in soccer from age 5-8, then she wanted to try Musical Theatre and she loved it. She loved to sing and dance and we loved watching her. She did regular classes one day a week and then asked to do competitive. In the regualr classes, she had solos in singing and seemed to love it. The competitive was much harder on our wallet, our time and her time, which of course, we were expecting. Well now her school has this cheer/dance team for younger kids...there are no tryouts and any child can be on it. She wants to do it, but I am hesitiant. She has always loved the singing and dancing and now says she wants a change. I am ok with that, but sad too. My dilemma is, should I "force" her to contuinue with Musical Theatre or let her try a a new hobby? I just do not want her to regret leaving Musical Theate, but I also don't want to really ":force" her to continue. She def does not want to do the competitivor the regular classes. The musical theatre school is extrelemy hard to get into due to the popularity of it, so if we take abreak and skip a year, she may not get in again....I just don';t know what to think!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
She's 10, lt her do what she wants. If she can't get back into that musical theatre then oh well. She can try something else. It's not the end of the world.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Does she appear to have more interest or more talent? I think if I had a truly talented child I would do everything short of force to encourage the area of talent. Could somebody in the theater talk to her? or somebody who has gone on past that phase and could offer her some insight on how valuable musical theater has been to them later in life?

If it's simply an interest it may be time to pursue other interest. Eventually it all might blend in together. Can you talk to the director of the theater for suggestions and learn the possibility of taking a break and coming back?

I think forcing a kid to continue with something they have decided they don't want will backfire with a surly kid with a bad attitude.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It's her life. Let her choose. Let her try lots of new things.

She will have plenty of time to get back into musical theater: Middle school, high school, college, community theater. It's never too late.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,923,274 times
If the regular musical theatre class is only once per week, is there time enough in her schedule to do both activities?

Old 04-26-2013, 03:02 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
She wants to do it, but I am hesitiant. She has always loved the singing and dancing and now says she wants a change. I am ok with that, but sad too.
Sounds like you're sad for yourself. Understandable if you've enjoyed watching her perform but it's her life and she needs to find what will make her happy in life. Not what makes Mom happy.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:07 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I would let her do what she wants to do.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:17 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,486,519 times
The only thing I would insist on is that she finish out the season or session and not quit in the middle, especially anything at a competitive level. But I would allow her to explore her interests, taking recreational classes in whatever she chooses, until she finds what SHE wants to stick with. And before I committed endless hours of time and piles of money allowing her to compete competitively, I would make sure she was old enough and mature enough and understand the commitment, and be willing to do it. Some kids do things for fun, then when it becomes a job, they're done. Perhaps you could even allow her to do Musical Theater recreationally like she was before. If it's something she really wants to do and has a talent for, her talent isn't going to go anywhere and she can always get back into it when she's ready.

Old 04-27-2013, 08:45 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,272,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
The only thing I would insist on is that she finish out the season or session and not quit in the middle, especially anything at a competitive level. But I would allow her to explore her interests, taking recreational classes in whatever she chooses, until she finds what SHE wants to stick with. And before I committed endless hours of time and piles of money allowing her to compete competitively, I would make sure she was old enough and mature enough and understand the commitment, and be willing to do it. Some kids do things for fun, then when it becomes a job, they're done. Perhaps you could even allow her to do Musical Theater recreationally like she was before. If it's something she really wants to do and has a talent for, her talent isn't going to go anywhere and she can always get back into it when she's ready.
Good advice here.

I was heart broken when my daughter got kicked out of piano after six years with her same teacher. Lack of effort and bad attitude. Lessons around here, especially with a good teacher, aren't cheap. She took a long break over the spring/summer and I wasn't going to sign her up again...just my son who isn't as talented as she is but has a much better attitude. When our fall session started, she asked the teacher if she could take lessons again. She signed a contract with her and so far this year, has put in the effort. Piano recital is tomorrow!!

If your daughter is interested and talented, it is something she can pick up again. Sometimes a break will do wonders. Or they will find other activities that make them very happy and may be easier on your wallet.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 AM

530 posts, read 1,163,100 times
If it's possible, I think it would be ideal for her to try the dance/cheer team before making any decisions. My oldest daughter loves singing and dancing as well, and when she has tried school activities that are open to everyone, she has been frustrated by the lack of quality at her school. She has grown accustomed to higher standards in her performing arts activities outside of school.

I also would try to figure out if your daughter wants to change because she doesn't like the challenge of a harder class or because she really doesn't have as much interest as she initially did. I think that is an important distinction. I prefer that my kids not leave activities where they have previously excelled just because it suddenly became more challenging. I think it is important to try to work through challenges. However, if the interest is truly waning, that is a different story. In that case trying something new makes perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting